PDA

View Full Version : Tire sales and service

JasonV
17th February 2011, 22:26
Where are you guys buying your tires and getting them mounted? Thinking of buying mine through motorcycle superstore and getting one of their preferred dealers to do it? Any experience with this? Is it the most cost effective?

JasonV
24th February 2011, 20:56
Bump...

Anyone?

Most of the preferred dealers through Motorcycle Superstore work on rice burners.

No one here has a recommendation within NYC?

DIESEL
24th February 2011, 21:30
I ordered mine through the indpendent tire shop, brought him my wheels and then installed them myself.

SpartanDen
24th February 2011, 22:02
I have a local independent that I'll pull my wheel off and drop off. There is also a tire store that gives the American Legion Riders a discount, but they are still above the Indy. Never asked at the harley shop.

JasonV
25th February 2011, 17:14
I don't have the tools, means or know how to get them on and off the bike. Just called the dealer where I got my bike, they want 2.5 hours of labor for both at $95/hr. Crazy!

Bob99
25th February 2011, 17:19
Bump...

Anyone?

Most of the preferred dealers through Motorcycle Superstore work on rice burners.

Are you near Rolling Thunder in Hempstead? They're a great indy shop that only works on Harleys.

JasonV
25th February 2011, 17:39
Are you near Rolling Thunder in Hempstead? They're a great indy shop that only works on Harleys.

Yeah I am, not too far. Do you know if they'll let me ship from Motorcycle Superstore to them?

Bob99
25th February 2011, 17:45
Yeah I am, not too far. Do you know if they'll let me ship from Motorcycle Superstore to them?

I don't know. Give 'em a call.

Rehit
25th February 2011, 17:49
i buy mine at Motorcycle Superstore and change them myself in the garage.
you just need a couple of tire spoons and some dish detergent.
no different than fixing bicycle flats when we were kids...:tour

Bob F
25th February 2011, 21:14
My Harley dealer sell tires at a deep discount. No reason for me to go anywhere else.

JasonV
25th February 2011, 21:37
My Harley dealer sell tires at a deep discount. No reason for me to go anywhere else.

I respect that. But only the tires they want you to have?

My dealer tried selling me the Dunlops again, telling me they are cheaper and last much longer. Every review I've read has the Avon's as a better ride and lasting longer than the Dunlops. Would you be able to order a tire that they didn't particulary carry for that same discount?

Also, if you did buy from them, what were they charging you for installation? Curious to know how it varies from place to place.

Bob F
25th February 2011, 21:45
Would you be able to order a tire that they didn't particulary carry for that same discount?

I don't know.

what were they charging you for installation?

Their shop rate is $45/hr. Very cheap for a dealer.

The down side is they're 75 miles from me.

Bob99
25th February 2011, 22:09
Their shop rate is $45/hr. Very cheap for a dealer.

$45/hr???!!! WTF!!!!??? It's $90/hr here. :censor:censor:censor

Bob F
26th February 2011, 00:19
$45/hr???!!! WTF!!!!??? It's $90/hr here

Highland HD in Somerset, PA. On top of the Allegheny Mountains. It's exactly in the middle of nowhere. 3 hour round trip from Pittsburgh. More than a dozen closer dealers.

My mechanic (Nate) has a Bachelor's Degree in Metallurgy and a Master's Degree in Mechanical Design. His passion is working on Harleys and doesn't have any plans to do anything else. IMO $45/hr for a mechanic of his caliper is truly a deal.

Did I mention that they have a punch card. Spend $1000.00 on anything with a Harley part number and get a $200.00 gift card. That is functionally 20% off everything.

Twice a year they have a 30% off sale. My guess is they sell several hundred thousands of dollars of parts. Six registers with 20 people in each line from open to close.

Back to my original post, the last time I checked their tires were $8.00 more than the cheapest place I could find on the Internet. This is what I called a deep discount.

Yesterday I rode up to the top of the mountain and spent a half an hour talking to Nate. That's 30 minutes of non-billable time for a dealer's mechanic's time for customer support and good will. Did I mention I like this dealership?

ReddTigger
26th February 2011, 00:35
Labor rate is normal for 1 hr per tire, That's the USUAL AND CUSTOMARY pricing. any more is overpriced, any less is a deal..

Typically any tire that drag specialties offers is available at any HD dealership, but typically they're NOT discounted..

When I lived in NY, I took my wheel off the bike and brought it and a tire to a local jap shop and they hooked me up for about $40.00..

Gerard at Rolling Thunder is a straight shooter, and a nice guy.. He may even let you have the tire shipped to him..

http://www.rollingthundercycles.com/

MikeLI_77 has had extensive work done by rolling thunder on his sportster... He's a long standing repeat customer.

mea4dxl
26th February 2011, 03:13
Bump...

Anyone?

I know a guy that would put it on cheep in staten island if you want. Just pm me for the info. And all he does is HD.

ParrotHead
26th February 2011, 03:39
I get mine from the local indy which happens to be one of the Motorcycle Superstores prefered dealers. Tires are a little more than the Motorcycle Superstores , but the service is worth it. I believe they charge 1 hr labor for each wheel.

mikeLI_77
18th August 2011, 03:09
Rolling thunder cycles is my favorite shop for any and all work to be done on the bike if I have to. Speak to Gerard (he is one of the owners and also the service manager) He will do whatever he can do to help you out. If I remember right they charge $45 a tire if you bring them the tire and I think it is about 2 hours if you bring the bike at $95 an hour. They have top notch mechanics that know there stuff.

Whatever you do. DO NOT go to North Shore Cycles in New Hyde Park. Those idiots put my rear tire on backwards one time I brought them my rims and tires to do. When I went back to them and told them what they did they made me take my wheel back off and bring it back in so they could fix the problem. When I told him that they should take the tire off since I should not have to do it again since they made the mistake they told me I should have realized it. (maybe so) but they should have done it right in the first place I told them and they do have my info in the computer and I told them twice when I brought it to them that it was for a sporty.