PDA

View Full Version : Uh-Oh!

spineshot
7th November 2007, 16:07
I just came back from Norfolk,Virginia visiting Navy buddies who are still active duty,And when i got home,The Doc at the V.A. called and told me.that he did not like the looks of my spine M.R.I's that i had done in october,I guess i have scar tissue constricting my spinal cord and it's very very bad.I also have two herniated disks that now have 'tears' in them.I asked him if thats because of me riding my motorcycle,He said 'who told you that it was okay to ride??' Man!!!!!! I hope this doesnt mean i wont be riding anymore,I just got back in the saddle after nearly 20yrs!! I'm not going to ride a trike either!! At any rate i have surgery in January on my spine,and then i have surgery on my left shoulder in April. Fine! i'll ride my sons Schwinn bicycle if i have to i'm staying two wheels somehow.I'm not getting rid of a Harley that i just got in May!

XLFREAK
7th November 2007, 16:34
Wow hang in there, things will turn out as they should. Best of luck with the back.

Maxanimal
7th November 2007, 16:47
Did you have back problems before you bought the bike?
If so, pretty much before starting any physical activity you should question your doctor.
Good luck with your back.

Bob F
7th November 2007, 16:51
My back is bad, must have a back rest.

spineshot
8th November 2007, 14:52
Yeah,I had back trouble before i bought the bike,I ruptured 2 disks and herniated 2,tore a rotator in my left shoulder after falling 28 feet in a ships engineroom.I have put off riding becuase i thought it would make my condition worse,But it's gotten worse even when i wasnt active or riding,So i thought 'why not ride? my spine has gotten worse sitting on my ass anyways,Time to go outside and enjoy my life,i've lost a bunch of weght,i look and feel better,I talked to my Doc again yesterday and he said that he doesnt think riding has really added any extra damage,but he still wants to compare MRI's spanning a 10yr period,But he did say 'you are retard!! If you try another stunt like putting 10,000 miles on your bike in 5 months,I will fix it,so you cant have a motorcycles license!' And he said no riding for a few months,until after he getsa good look at my spine and shoulder,which is okay because winter is here soon anyways

superwarden
8th November 2007, 14:56
Get a back brace or a good back rest. I highly doubt your sporty has contributed to your back problems. that is an old legend for the mythbusters to determine. Sounds like you might need a new doctor. (Fix it so he has to scrounge a little more for the Mercedes payment)

Bob F
8th November 2007, 15:07
When I went for therapy they would use strengthening exercises, massage and stretching on my back. Riding with a backrest would accomplish this. Ask your doctor how riding hurts your back. Your doctor may not understand riding. Find a doctor that rides. When my doctor told me to quite drinking I found a doctor that drank.

My backrest:

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Xl50_100707a.jpg

khaskins
8th November 2007, 15:08
Yeah,I had back trouble before i bought the bike,I ruptured 2 disks and herniated 2,tore a rotator in my left shoulder after falling 28 feet in a ships engineroom.I have put off riding becuase i thought it would make my condition worse,But it's gotten worse even when i wasnt active or riding,So i thought 'why not ride? my spine has gotten worse sitting on my ass anyways,Time to go outside and enjoy my life,i've lost a bunch of weght,i look and feel better,I talked to my Doc again yesterday and he said that he doesnt think riding has really added any extra damage,but he still wants to compare MRI's spanning a 10yr period,But he did say 'you are retard!! If you try another stunt like putting 10,000 miles on your bike in 5 months,I will fix it,so you cant have a motorcycles license!' And he said no riding for a few months,until after he getsa good look at my spine and shoulder,which is okay because winter is here soon anyways

A doctor has no authority to take your motorcycle license under any circumstances. I would get a second opinion before I had any spinal surgery.

XLXR
9th November 2007, 05:57
Rough suspension can cause or worsen back problems. Especially for those over 50 or with previous back problems. Setting up the suspension correctly can go a long way to making riding less painful.

spineshot
9th November 2007, 18:13
If a V.A. feels that i'm aggravating a serious condition that they are providing care for,Yes they can tell the DMV not to issue a license,it all comes down to money for them,But he doesnt really think that a bike is making anything worse,other than more discomfort,He is going to look carefully,He said he doesnt want to miss any potential problems.Works for me! And he sent my phone number and email to a group called 'VET-Riders' every single one of them is messed up in some form or another,Doc says they are best ones to go to for different seating,suspension changes,etc for motorcycles.I know they'll help

1200 sporty
9th November 2007, 18:41
Get a second opinion before you have the surgery IMO. My cousin had it done and then had to have two more before he could stand and walk for fifteen minutes. That being said there are seat that have backrests for the rider and also I would suggest getting a back support belt like you see lifters wearing and use that while you ride. I wear one and it helps a great deal with the support and aleviating the pain caused from riding.
Sorry to hear about your back problems and try to stay positive because good things come to those of a positive mind set.
Shawn

spineshot
9th November 2007, 22:42
I've already had one surgery on the ruptured disks about 10yrs ago,I'm not having another if i can avoid it,My doctor says 'if you have to have a back injury,yours is where you want it,The problem is the scar tissue squeezing the spinal cord,But as far as a back surgery goes,He might be able to do it with one of those Arthroscopic (?) tools and not cut me open or disturb anything else.Now i only have to wonder whats going to happen with my shoulder, several bad tears in the muscles,and scar tissue in the rotator.I just dont want to wait much longer,it will be spring again,And i dont want to spend 'riding' weather, all taped up and not able to sit or shift or squeeze the clutch,I'm a lefty

rwise
24th November 2007, 13:41
I had back surgery in 94, yes it still hurts, I slipped a vertebra 10mm, I do not recommend the the rods and screws (screws my ass those things are bolts!!!) they cause pain even after they have been removed :( (trust me on that) second opinion, absolutely! Riding bothers me no more than anything else, and makes me smile :tour now I don't try to ride 10 hours straight either, stop and stretch often, good luck!