PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Says No More Riding, Weight of bike..

wikdwmn
31st July 2011, 01:37
Dr. says weight of bike will reinjur, no more riding. Any suggestions?:(

Meattruck138
31st July 2011, 01:43
Ever think of one of those can-am Spyder thingees?

wandrur
31st July 2011, 01:43
How about some details of your injury?

SGT.NICK FURY
31st July 2011, 01:45
trike the sporty

shaymus
31st July 2011, 01:46
trike the sporty

=1

chrisrobhill
31st July 2011, 01:47
Get a new Dr.

Rooster
31st July 2011, 01:48
Plenty of sportster trike conversion kits out there. Also seen a system that has outrigger weels that automaticly come down at a stop to support the bike, then retract when you take off.

wikdwmn
31st July 2011, 01:56
Injury is my grandfather, he has ridden his whole life. He is 69 years old, has three motorcycles, lives to ride, and I don't know how to help him. He asked me yesterday to help him sell one of his favorite bikes. I just can't do it. Not yet....I want to explore my options. Thanks for all the replies..great advice..
Have a safe weekend.

Brad
31st July 2011, 01:57
paralegalpete just got a Ural with a hack.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=1156456

packnru
31st July 2011, 01:58
While I hate to get banned, I would suggest you look at some Japanese bikes that weigh in the 400-450 pound range, if they are light enough, that is.

onebrkbstrd
31st July 2011, 02:41
Injury is my grandfather, he has ridden his whole life. He is 69 years old, has three motorcycles, lives to ride, and I don't know how to help him. He asked me yesterday to help him sell one of his favorite bikes. I just can't do it. Not yet....I want to explore my options. Thanks for all the replies..great advice..
Have a safe weekend.

I plan on riding myself into the grave. My dad's not too much younger than your grandfather and intends to do exactly the same thing.

Exactly why do the Docs say your grandfather can't ride? If it's just because he's catching some years, he should tell them to eff off. If it's some kind of age related injury,, there's probably a way around it,, but without knowing for sure,, tough to say.

ozark
31st July 2011, 03:15
Dr. says weight of bike will reinjur, no more riding. Any suggestions?:(

As some of the other guys suggested converting his Sporty to a trike is an option. Or if you have the cash buy a trike. I'm 60 and about half crippled myself. I'm thinking about building a trike for when the time comes that I can't safely ride my Sporty. ( Hopefully a long time from now :)

Another option might be a Honda 750 the new ones are basically a Sportster knock off. The seat height seems to be a little lower. They seem to be lighter. A lot more thin plastic and thinner steel. Sadly they cost the same.

For what it's worth, I've never found a doctor in favor of riding a motorcycle. :frownthre

Ozark

Loner
31st July 2011, 03:48
trike or sidecar seems the obvious.
There is a thread somewhere here that has a link to a website that is all about converting and adapting bike for bikers with challenges.
I always remember the saying from the movie Heartbreak Ridge
"Improvise" "Adapt" "Overcome"

There is a reason people are called challenged not disabled.

I saw a rider who rides an old pan, with a hook on his left hand, he has a foot clutch and a tank shift.

jharback
31st July 2011, 07:51
First off, would need to know what type of injury we are talking about. Most Doc's have no idea about motorcycles. I'd, first of all, get a second opinion.

XLXR
31st July 2011, 08:09
What does weight of the bike have to do with anything? Especially since he is such an experienced rider, good balance is more important than ability to support weight.

The only thing I can think of is a leg, hip, or back injury which the doctor is afraid off. Perhaps a hand or wrist injury which prevents him from using the control levers. In that case, lots of other things may cause re-injury in addition to riding a motorcycle.

Get big crash bars front and rear, so if the bike starts to fall over, he can just let it go over rather than trying to hold it up.

Cobalt
31st July 2011, 08:15
I'd go with a trike kit. Or, how 'bout a motorcycle that can be thrown around, like a Buell Blast? Very low seat height, too.

williamv1203
31st July 2011, 09:02
trike or sidecar seems the obvious.
There is a thread somewhere here that has a link to a website that is all about converting and adapting bike for bikers with challenges.

There are quite a few posts about The NABD (http://www.nabd.org.uk/) and I happen to be a member and representative for them.

I can maybe help/advise if you have any questions.

frenchandy
31st July 2011, 09:21
‪Ural Sidecar Motorcycle Military Demo‬‏ - YouTube
need to know what he rides now and what his limits are
There are many satisfying bikes that are smallerand lighter out there.
I would go sidecar if i was in that situation.
Are urals available in the states?,they are great with that 3rd driven wheel

frenchandy
31st July 2011, 09:24
i believe the light artillery is not an option available to the general public but you could check with your local dealer.

wikdwmn
31st July 2011, 09:31
My Grandfather is a solid 297 lbs. He ain't no dinky thing!! We have a Honda Valkeri F6, it is a solid, heavy bike. A Kawasaki Ninja and A Suzuki , A Sportster 1200 xl nightster, and he drives a old toyota pickup that is ready for pick and pull.
I appreciate all advice and suggestions. Have a great weekend, be safe....

wikdwmn
31st July 2011, 09:42
Personally, if I had my way. I would buy him a brand new truck, one he is comfortable in, one he is safe in. If ever there was a man who deserved a Brand New Ride it is him. If I sold three of the bikes. I would maybe be able to do a custom build. I want him to be able to take off and ride all the way to the east coast. If he feels like it.
Thats what he loves to do.
Thanks so much for your post. Have a great weekend. Ride safe....

wikdwmn
31st July 2011, 09:45
Thank you, great advice.
Be safe....

frenchandy
31st July 2011, 10:04
My Grandfather is a solid 297 lbs. He ain't no dinky thing!! We have a Honda Valkeri F6, it is a solid, heavy bike. A Kawasaki Ninja and A Suzuki , A Sportster 1200 xl nightster, and he drives a old toyota pickup that is ready for pick and pull.
I appreciate all advice and suggestions. Have a great weekend, be safe....

WOW I dont think id be comfortable on a couple of those bikes,they are BIG!!
Its not all about horsepower and size.
Get him to try a lighter bike of around 400 cc or a classic like a 500cc motoguzzi.
They can be great fun!

Anaxios
31st July 2011, 14:39
Even tho he's 69, sounds like your grandaddy is still kickin ass, but maybe his doc thinks he no longer has the agility, balance, reflexes, whatever, for biking. (We're all going to take our last ride someday. You just have to know when to quit so you don't accidentally kill anyone else on the road, never mind yourself.) Driving a cage isn't so demanding, so maybe a new truck is a good option. If not, maybe encourage him to do more wrenching and less riding. Either one has satisfactions. Hope it works out for you and him.

micwag2
31st July 2011, 14:43
Put a Voyager kit on it. Looks like training wheels but is a better alternative to not riding. The best part is its completely reversible. Or a sidecar maybe?

studdud
31st July 2011, 14:46
69 is till young for some people,at 74 my dad would climb up on the roof of his house.

onebrkbstrd
31st July 2011, 17:50
Could look into something like this. Ugly as hell,, but keeps the bike riding the way it should. In theory anyway.
http://trikealternatives.com/

TinMan_4L
31st July 2011, 17:54
Find Him a Lady with her own bike big enough for 2,and, tell him to hang on and enjoy...:P

frenchandy
31st July 2011, 19:59
Find Him a Lady with her own bike big enough for 2,and, tell him to hang on and enjoy...:P

LOL constructive laterel thinking is right up my alley:laugh

Kayakeur
12th November 2014, 08:19
Find a doctor who rides. He - or she - will have a better understanding of what it takes to ride, physically and mentally.
My orthopedist rides a Road King. After he installed 3 titanium rods in my back he told me sure, go ride your Harley and kayak whitewater. No problem. I've often thought that other non-rider docs would have advised me not to, and I might have listened.
btw, orthopedists - bone doctors - tend to have been jocks back in HS & college, and do more physical sports. Maybe more likely to be bikers than dermatologists or proctologists!
Kayakeur Bud
Northern Virginia 11-11-14

brianbbs67
12th November 2014, 08:26
Zombie thread.....

Graywolf
12th November 2014, 09:26
Zombie thread.....

Yep, thread came back to life after several years being buried. If someone is looking for alternatives there is a good Handicapped Rider forum here now with many threads about riding with different disabilities.