PDA

View Full Version : Paralyzed right arm

KillerSwinger
7th September 2011, 03:19
I just bought my first Harley after taking about 5 years off riding.
I was injured in Iraq back in 2005 by an ied. Broke my back, lost vision in my left eye and tore all the nerves in my right shoulder that go down to my right arm (brachial plexus), among many other injuries. I had a nerve transplant done in 2007 and since then have gained minimal use of my shoulder and tricept. Just enough so that I can strap my hand, in a brace, to the throttle. I have enough control to use the throttle pretty smoothly, but have minimal range of motion with the brace holding my useless wrist straight.
I ordered a quick turn throttle from drag specialties the other day, so hopefully I'll be able to get full throttle with my limited movement.
It definitely feels good to be on a bike again. I only wish I would have bought this bike years ago.

Rico 05R
7th September 2011, 03:21
Welcome to the XLForum from Oklahoma. We're glad to have you aboard...and thank you for your service.

egadd
7th September 2011, 03:24
glad to hear you are back at it... sorry your service lead to you being injured... Thank You for your service and hope you enjoy being back on the road. you picked the right place to hang out any questions can usually be answered here on xlforum... and welcome

funnythebunny
7th September 2011, 03:27
:usa2
Welcome home, soldier and thanks for your service. Glad to see your're in the saddle, and knowing you have a great outlook. Truly inspirational.

God bless!

bitpusher
7th September 2011, 03:31
welcome home and welcome to xlf. good on you keepin on keepin on.

mdmitchell2
7th September 2011, 03:40
welcome, and thank you for your sacrifice for our country. we appreciate it more than you know.

Hopefully that bike works out for you

mr.coffee
7th September 2011, 03:41
It's really cool that you're finding ways to get on the bike and make it work...

-m

Greg75
7th September 2011, 03:48
Congrats on getting back on a bike! Thank You very much for your service and sacrafice! :sporty:

leo
7th September 2011, 03:57
welcome to the forum. glad to see that you don't let anything stop you.

racerwill
7th September 2011, 04:09
welcome to the forum from sunny New England......

thank you for your service, my son is in Iraq right now.......

Ww

DBH
7th September 2011, 04:35
THANK YOU for your service and sacrifice. I'm glad to see your not letting it hold you down. I wish you a great life.

KillerSwinger
7th September 2011, 05:07
Thanks all. The bike is working great for me. I put 800 miles on the bike the first two weeks I had it. I'm looking at ordering up a set of the Vance and Hines big radius pipes and the performance machine fast air intake. What is the best system for getting the best tune?

drd1135
7th September 2011, 10:33
Welcome from Virginia. I will never complain about using a throttle rocker again. I'm glad you're able to ride again.

jharback
7th September 2011, 18:29
If your still having some problems you might try a Kuryakyn Throttle Boss. It takes a little getting use to but, all you need to do is put pressure on it with the heel of your hand. Here's a link to one that attaches to your grip:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/502-527

Here's a link to one that you just replace the grips:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/500-153

SkullBasher
7th September 2011, 19:08
Thank you for your service!! Welcome to the forum from Kansas!

redi2ride
7th September 2011, 20:50
My Family and I pray every night for the soldiers. THANK YOU. I am humbled by your bravery and sacrifice. Congratulations, and welcome. This site is a great hnge out when one can't be riding. enjoy.

SuperTed
7th September 2011, 20:53
Welcome and a big thanks for your service! Best of luck finding a throttle setup that works for you.

bklyngeezer
7th September 2011, 23:21
Thanks for your service and enjoy your bike.

wilkin4
7th September 2011, 23:33
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your service and bravery.....

You have been through a lot, and to enjoy riding must be a great feeling. Hope you have many years of safe riding.:tour:tour:tour

sprink
8th September 2011, 00:02
Thank You for your service. Glad to hear you can ride again.