PDA

View Full Version : 2500 mile change?

CntryFun
7th September 2005, 15:55
On other boards I've seen allot of talk about people doing a maintenance at 2500 miles (but not necessarily on Sporties). My manual only says 1000 and 5000.... so what's y'alls opinions?

I'm running Amsoil 20w50 everywhere, if that helps ya any.

xena
7th September 2005, 16:08
My dealer recommended I change my oil at the 2500 mile mark. Not sure why but I knew it wouldn't hurt so I did it.

CntryFun
7th September 2005, 16:12
Yeah, I haven't talked to a dealer about it, cause I don't trust our local one. I know it ain't going to hurt, but at $65 in fluids/filter, I just wasn't sure if it was necessary. I'm not a super tight arse or anything, but am just hoping to hear who all did it, what they found (was the oil toasted, did you not think it was necessary, etc.) after it was done.

Thanks.

indyrednek
7th September 2005, 17:00
In extreme conditions (i.e. hard riding, heat, dirt, etc)
The oils can break down.
As far as $, is it worth breaking down or causing unnecessary wear?
I pay $16 for all my services. (Pre-paid maintainence)

DustyJacket
7th September 2005, 17:38
I change the oil between the 5,000 services.

$8 for a gallon of 20W50 and somewhere around $12 for the Premium5 filter.
Comes to about $20 plus tax.

xena
7th September 2005, 18:32
Yeah, I haven't talked to a dealer about it, cause I don't trust our local one. I know it ain't going to hurt, but at $65 in fluids/filter, I just wasn't sure if it was necessary. I'm not a super tight arse or anything, but am just hoping to hear who all did it, what they found (was the oil toasted, did you not think it was necessary, etc.) after it was done.

Thanks.

Hmm, yeah. I didn't pay 65.00 for the fluids and filter. Think it was more like 30ish. Oil was not toasted, and I only changed the engine oil not the primary.
For the 30 something dollars I was glad I had done it, but I am one who used to change the oil in my corvette every 2k.
Is it necessary to change at 2500? Not according to the Moco or else it would be in the owners manual.

MusclePump
7th September 2005, 19:25
I change the oil between the 5,000 services.

$8 for a gallon of 20W50 and somewhere around $12 for the Premium5 filter.
Comes to about $20 plus tax.

I use Amsoil... It's almost $8 a quart! :)

But still no $60+