PDA

View Full Version : Just about ran into a cager this morning...

Seiller
13th September 2005, 19:40
Well I'm on my way to work this morning on the main street of the city I live in when the 5 ton delivery truck I'm following comes to a full stop in the middle of the road with it's 4 ways on. I've got quite a distance from him so I slow down and slowly move up on him trying to figure out what the hell he's doing. There is no traffic at all in the other lane (it's 5:30am) so I creep into the oncoming lane as I pass the 5-ton. Just as I'm about halfway past the truck a little BMW mini that was in front of the truck makes a quick left hand turn with no signal. I do a quick emergency braking and then swerve between the truck and the mini. I didn't really have a choice as the mini driver decided to stop in the middle of the road when she saw me coming. I'm fine, but I think I gave the mini driver a heart attack.

I still dont' know exactly what happened. From what I gather the 5-ton truck was following (very closely) to the mini and the mini had stalled her stick shifted car on the small hill. The truck driver put on his 4 ways to assist the mini driver. Before he had a chance to get out and assist, the mini driver got it started again and quickly made a left turn to get off the main street, nearly having me run into her in the process.

This near accident was all my fault. I wasn't paying enough attention to the traffic to notice the mini. I was passing the truck at too high of speed. And I wasn't near as alert as I should have been.

All in all, it still pisses me off why some people can't drive a stick without stalling it at every little hill. Com'on people, it's not that difficult. If you'd maybe put down your cell phone and novel, you'd have enough hands to shift to the proper gear.

I had a similar situation last night where I was at a red light on a steep hill with a riced-out honda civic in front of me. It was a good car's length between me and him, but when the light turned green he proceeded to rollback his car and stall it. Then again... and again... getting closer to me each time. After he got to close for comfort I scooted around him and went through the lights. Right after I pass him I see him pop his clutch and smoke his tires to get up the hill, which makes him pull right up on my ass at high speed. Now having a kid who obviously can't drive his car that close to my ass makes me a little uncomfortable so I pull over and let him pass. We meet up again a couple of blocks away at another set of lights (on a hill). And you guessed it, he stalls it again. After this I decide to get away from these incompetent cagers and take the back roads back to my house.

No real point of this thread... just needed to vent.

daesdaemar
13th September 2005, 19:50
At least you realize what apparently went wrong... doing that makes us better drivers/riders...

DM-SC
14th September 2005, 03:02
At least you realize what apparently went wrong... doing that makes us better drivers/riders...

Very true!