PDA

View Full Version : New Knee, One More To Go Please

Turbo Sporty 48
2nd September 2012, 17:46
Had a total knee replacement 20 August 2012.
Just reread the surgical report of the new left knee, just hope the glue holds all the new pieces in place.
Inflammation and pain are starting to recede though still formidable.
The weather is changing here, the bike is patiently waiting, staples (modern stitches) come out Tuesday.
In the 70's when after the first knee surgery i rode (sat) on the crutches. Not sure how this is going to work out but as soon as the pain eases a little more gonna get back on and go.
:banadanc
:wonderlan
:banana

wilkin4
2nd September 2012, 18:02
Hope you can get back to riding soon, glad your surgery went well.

Heal up, and :tour:tour:tour:tour

SpartanDen
2nd September 2012, 18:13
Sporty48...piece of cake. Had mine replaced in January and now wished I had done this years ago. Lots of pain and discomfort at first, but it will subside. Do your therapy and walk. I walked a lot at first. Now I pretty much do as I want. Just don't become discouraged.

geoff 1
2nd September 2012, 18:45
My mother had one replaced a few years back,she was back to kicking my fathers ass regular after a couple of months,get well soon!

Gcram399
2nd September 2012, 18:56
Congrats on the upgrade. Listen to your doc and your PT. You'll be back to riding before you know it.

sportsterpaul
2nd September 2012, 19:03
Congrats, and I would echo Denny's remarks posted earlier. I might add that mine, (right) was done four years ago and I had promised myself that when I could walk I'd start riding again. Five days after discharge I took a couple very ugly steps in the kitchen, grabbed the keys and did manage a short ride! Don't tell my Doctor. You'll be fine, DO your rehab, every bit of it and then some, and you won't look back! A good friend also was due but he had both done at once, said he only wanted to rehab one time. Saw him walking unassisted 11 days after his surgery.

XLXR
2nd September 2012, 19:18
Give it time to heal, then keep up with the therapy stretching long after physical therapy stops. It can take 6 months or longer to get to the point where you don't even think about it any more.

sportsterpaul
2nd September 2012, 19:39
Thanks for that John, and I should have added to my post that what I did was probably not the wisest thing to do because that surgery is pretty intense. I've never claimed to be the brightest bulb on the shelf so others- don't do what I've done!

SpartanDen
2nd September 2012, 19:56
yeah....good point!! if you had asked me 2-3 weeks after the replacement, i would have told you worst mistake I've made!!! But keep after the pt and walk as much as you can stand, you will work through this. It truly does take months to really begin to feel better than new!!! I used to wonder what it would be like without pain, then 5-6 weeks I started thinking every once in a while, so this is what it's like. Now if I feel discomfort I just remember what it was in the past. Time and patience is definitely a virtue!! Be patient, remember this is but a moment of your life. It will be gone before you realize it!

wandrur
2nd September 2012, 20:14
Best wishes for a quick recovery. :) I'm guessing I'll have to get that done in 10-15 years.

llsmketr
3rd September 2012, 02:37
Wow!!! Makes me want to run out and get mine done!! I just turned 34 and have needed one for the past 7 years!! Every day pain is 8-10/10!!! They dont want to do mine til I am 55 or so!!! Good luck and best wishes!!!

Smoke :smoke

Turbo Sporty 48
3rd September 2012, 05:06
At a pain clinic years ago a Dr. told me to get recliner because he said i was going to spend the better part of my later years in one.
Almost wish I had one, actually I want one.
So stubborn, almost cannot help myself, still looking for the ideal camo rocking recliner, whoot!

XLXR
3rd September 2012, 06:00
They dont want to do mine til I am 55 or so!!!

This absolute BS, get a different doctor or insurance company. There is a time limit on how long knee replacements will last, and it depends a lot on how you take care of it afterwards. Getting a replacement now means you may have to get another one at age 55. However, expecting you to live in such severe pain for the next 20 years is BS. Being unable to cope with the pain and not being able to perform your activities of daily living, is one of the key indications of needing a knee replacement. Bone on bone in the x-rays is another major factor.

There are risks to any surgery, delaying the surgery is the only way to avoid those risks.

My day job is working as an Occupational Therapist, and I rehab people who had knee replacements on a daily basis. 38 is very young for this surgery, but I have seen it before.

XLXR
3rd September 2012, 06:10
Thanks for that John, and I should have added to my post that what I did was probably not the wisest thing to do because that surgery is pretty intense. I've never claimed to be the brightest bulb on the shelf so others- don't do what I've done!

Its easy to call the kettle black.

15 years ago I had abdominal hernia surgery. They sent me home the same day with a bottle of pain meds that worked a little too good. When wifey left for work, I jumped on my street bike and rode around for the rest of the afternoon. When she got home, she called a buddy who brought over a chain and lock, locked up all the bikes and took the key with him, and took my car keys also. I was so happy with those pain pills, I didn't care.

sportsterpaul
3rd September 2012, 06:35
John, sometimes you just gotta ride!

HandOverFist
3rd September 2012, 09:17
At a pain clinic years ago a Dr. told me to get recliner because he said i was going to spend the better part of my later years in one.
Almost wish I had one, actually I want one.
So stubborn, almost cannot help myself, still looking for the ideal camo rocking recliner, whoot!

Don't do it...worst thing I have ever seen for those getting on in years. Once you sit down you are finished. ;)

llsmketr
3rd September 2012, 17:17
This absolute BS, get a different doctor or insurance company. There is a time limit on how long knee replacements will last, and it depends a lot on how you take care of it afterwards. Getting a replacement now means you may have to get another one at age 55. However, expecting you to live in such severe pain for the next 20 years is BS. Being unable to cope with the pain and not being able to perform your activities of daily living, is one of the key indications of needing a knee replacement. Bone on bone in the x-rays is another major factor.

There are risks to any surgery, delaying the surgery is the only way to avoid those risks.

My day job is working as an Occupational Therapist, and I rehab people who had knee replacements on a daily basis. 38 is very young for this surgery, but I have seen it before.

XLXR, I completely agree!! I worked in the medical field for over 12 years and am not happy at all with this. Sadly, it was a workers comp issue and they do not want to pay. Also, I have been to six different well known doctors and they dont want to take the risk. Right now just trying to enjoy my time with my daughter and keep pressing until they say yes.

Smoke :smoke

Turbo Sporty 48
3rd September 2012, 17:26
Don't do it...worst thing I have ever seen for those getting on in years. Once you sit down you are finished. ;)

HOF,
My feelings too.
The swelling has delayed recovery. The only way to elevate currently is beddy-by. At this point just about past the swelling so a recliner is not as important.
However, consider the importance of good deep sleep to healing. When a traumatic event like total knee replacement or hip job smacks the system, sleep is essential to repair the damage. However, a paint job, performance tidbit or shiny piece of chrome would likely take priority over something as minor as a recovery aid.:geek

sportsterpaul
3rd September 2012, 17:34
That's a GOOD attitude, gotta take care of the ride, it'll help take your mind of the recovery. Ice, elevation and lots of rest. Oh, and keep working on flexibility. It helped me to do my rehab on the bike. Foot on highway peg was good for starters, then back to mid-peg, and eventually flexed back onto passenger peg, again this is all wrong and NOT recommended so don't do as I say.

Turbo Sporty 48
4th September 2012, 21:34
Just had the staples out today, first time staples user, all threads before.
2 weeks and the old knee is starting to out-pain the new knee, real progress.
:wonderlan
All bikers use this motto: I do not abuse drugs, just used as required.
:)
The Wait:
Depression was the last straw. Waited as long as possible, each re-do has diminishing returns. Technology gets better, the longer you wait the longer the implants last.
:frownone
The Rack: Continuous Passive Motion (CPM) machine, supposedly reduces adhesions where the layers of muscles grow together. One time, in the 70's, I got a shot of morphine, they tied my arss down on the table and a gorilla bent the knee, golly gee did I say bad words. Used a rocker for the next round of surgery and adhesions.:frownthre

Progress!!!:banadanc:banadanc:banadanc
:banana:banana
:p

csvogt50
4th September 2012, 21:54
Congrats! Had my hip done and I can relate! You will be up in no time and ready to ride! Enjoy the new freedom you will get with your new pieces/parts!