PDA

View Full Version : Free Bacon Rolls

kiltbill
26th October 2005, 01:01
Well,

Just had to add to the Europe thread, any one wants to pop over, and go for a ride, I will make sure there are Bacon Rolls and coffe ready for ya

:tour :tour :tour

BonRu
26th October 2005, 01:07
Well,

Just had to add to the Europe thread, any one wants to pop over, and go for a ride, I will make sure there are Bacon Rolls and coffe ready for ya

:tour :tour :tour

Alright Bill, I'll be there in a few. Keep 'em hot!!!!

PlanB
26th October 2005, 01:28
I'm probably the only person on this forum that doesn't know what a bacon roll is! So I had to google...the curiousity was killin' me! Just in case there's one more person here that doesn't know:

Bacon rolls/baps
The convenient round shape of Ayrshire-cured bacon is grilled or fried and used as a filling for a bap or roll. Bacon rolls made with a hard-crusted, chewy, Glasgow rolls are popular hand-held fast foods, which may be eaten at any time of the day.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Scotland, world cholesterol centre, comes the "Bacon Roll Dispensing Vending Machine".
Both elements, roll and bacon, are kept frozen and cooked on demand for that freshly made taste. Imagine a snake-like conveyor belt with seperate comparments side by side. Bacon has decent amount of fat on it, roll is of the correct "Chewy morning roll slathered with butter" variety.

Stock is kept frozen until correct money is inserted, whereupon conveyor advances one unit, dispensing roll and bacon onto seperate conveyors. Roll passes though a micowave chamber (5s at 2kW?), bacon under an intense halogen grill, flipped halfway, visable from the outside through glass screen. Bacon is flipped onto roll, and emerges from chute. Total time elapsed, 20 seconds.

If machine is not used for 30 minutes, it cleans itself like an automatic toilet.

Yum.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Being a frenchman I was not really used to the delicate and refined Scottish cuisine for my first attempt at eating a Scoobie. It remained in my body for a very short period of time (i.e. from Botanic Garden roundabout to Queen Margaret Bridge which is about 20 meters far) and the experience was far from "satisfrying". But as you said this roll is reserved to taxi drivers on shift and drunken students returning home and i obviously do not belong to the first category. That's why I decided to give the roll a second try.Time helping I grew fond of the fried thingy. All this to say I would never allow a machine to replace "Maggie"(the kind woman sacrifrying her life for our welfare). But you can't stop technology. So technically speaking you would have to make sure that the frying oil is kept for at least 5 years to get the true "Glasgow West End Scoobie flavour"....And the rolls would also have to be stale.
Oh, thanks a lot for popping this back to the top. Now I'm craving a soft white barm cake stuffed with crisp bacon and oozing molten butter and ketchup (maybe with a fried egg too). Ordinarily not such a problem, just pop to shop on the way home, but THERE IS NO BACON IN THIS COUNTRY!!. Only crappy "breakfastbakon" that"s so thin it's see-through and shatters as soon as you touch it.

It's times like these that make me seriously doubt the wisdom of my decision to leave the UK.

And for Bonnie!

I knew this girl from Texas who couldn't eat bacon. I asked her why & she told me that during a visit to her parents Farm, she looked out the kitchen window during breakfast and saw two pigs having intercourse. As her mother was serving her breakfast (bacon, eggs & homemade biscuits), she commented to her daughter, "Well looky there! Them pigs is makin' bacon!" And the poor girl hasn't been able to stomach the thought of eating bacon ever since.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dang, Bill, I'm drooling just from googling a bacon roll...but since we don't have real bacon over here, I'm wondering how to improvize and make me some...is the roll a special type of roll, too?

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm flippin' hungry and the title of the thread got me! :D

kiltbill
26th October 2005, 01:34
I'm probably the only person on this forum that doesn't know what a bacon roll is! So I had to google...the curiousity was killin' me! Just in case there's one more person here that doesn't know:

Bacon rolls/baps
The convenient round shape of Ayrshire-cured bacon is grilled or fried and used as a filling for a bap or roll. Bacon rolls made with a hard-crusted, chewy, Glasgow rolls are popular hand-held fast foods, which may be eaten at any time of the day.
From Scotland, world cholesterol centre, comes the "Bacon Roll Dispensing Vending Machine".
Both elements, roll and bacon, are kept frozen and cooked on demand for that freshly made taste. Imagine a snake-like conveyor belt with seperate comparments side by side. Bacon has decent amount of fat on it, roll is of the correct "Chewy morning roll slathered with butter" variety.

Stock is kept frozen until correct money is inserted, whereupon conveyor advances one unit, dispensing roll and bacon onto seperate conveyors. Roll passes though a micowave chamber (5s at 2kW?), bacon under an intense halogen grill, flipped halfway, visable from the outside through glass screen. Bacon is flipped onto roll, and emerges from chute. Total time elapsed, 20 seconds.

If machine is not used for 30 minutes, it cleans itself like an automatic toilet.

Yum.
Being a frenchman I was not really used to the delicate and refined Scottish cuisine for my first attempt at eating a Scoobie. It remained in my body for a very short period of time (i.e. from Botanic Garden roundabout to Queen Margaret Bridge which is about 20 meters far) and the experience was far from "satisfrying". But as you said this roll is reserved to taxi drivers on shift and drunken students returning home and i obviously do not belong to the first category. That's why I decided to give the roll a second try.Time helping I grew fond of the fried thingy. All this to say I would never allow a machine to replace "Maggie"(the kind woman sacrifrying her life for our welfare). But you can't stop technology. So technically speaking you would have to make sure that the frying oil is kept for at least 5 years to get the true "Glasgow West End Scoobie flavour"....And the rolls would also have to be stale.
Oh, thanks a lot for popping this back to the top. Now I'm craving a soft white barm cake stuffed with crisp bacon and oozing molten butter and ketchup (maybe with a fried egg too). Ordinarily not such a problem, just pop to shop on the way home, but THERE IS NO BACON IN THIS COUNTRY!!. Only crappy "breakfastbakon" that"s so thin it's see-through and shatters as soon as you touch it.

It's times like these that make me seriously doubt the wisdom of my decision to leave the UK.

And for Bonnie!

I knew this girl from Texas who couldn't eat bacon. I asked her why & she told me that during a visit to her parents Farm, she looked out the kitchen window during breakfast and saw two pigs having intercourse. As her mother was serving her breakfast (bacon, eggs & homemade biscuits), she commented to her daughter, "Well looky there! Them pigs is makin' bacon!" And the poor girl hasn't been able to stomach the thought of eating bacon ever since.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dang, Bill, I'm drooling just from googling a bacon roll...but since we don't have real bacon over here, I'm wondering how to improvize and make me some...is the roll a special type of roll, too?

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm flippin' hungry and the title of the thread got me! :D

Be delighted to send you some, just Pm me, it has a long shelf life and can send Rolls too!

kiltbill
26th October 2005, 01:34
Alright Bill, I'll be there in a few. Keep 'em hot!!!!

grill on ready and waiting!

Moved On
26th October 2005, 02:02
I've never had a bacon roll, but had a couple haggis puffs at the Celtic festival in Cortland this summer... yummy :frownthre

Gazz

raysheen
26th October 2005, 02:09
haggis
Gary...you should know better being a mod and all...but in case you haven't read deep into the fine print of the rules of the site...we aren't supposed to use words like ha#%!$ on this site. :roflblack

Big_Baazzoo
26th October 2005, 13:36
What do you mean "real Bacon"? what's different about Scottish bacon from American bacon? I've never been to Europe at all, so please excuse ignorance...but just the idea of a bacon roll sounds good...

stevo
26th October 2005, 13:42
American bacon just isn't REAL bacon....

I think the closest you guys get to it is what you refer to as Canadian bacon....

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm bacon ...the crispier the better...

While we're talkin of UK cuisine.... I havn't had a chip buttie in ages....

Big_Baazzoo
26th October 2005, 13:47
welll, Canadian Bacon seems more like ham to me. Oh, It's good, to be sure, but it's never as crisp and crunchy like American bacon.

kiltbill
26th October 2005, 13:53

I think the closest you guys get to it is what you refer to as Canadian bacon....

Damn don't it just make us Scots so civilized and cool, such a delightful range of dishes to give to the world!:wtf

Bacon Rolls
Chip butties
and don't forget Haggis and black pudding (this also served at breakfast with bacon, eggs, mushrooms, beans, tomatoes, fried bread and toast!) No wonder we are so unhealthy! :drinkup

Ande don't forget the latest offering from Scotland deep fried Mars Bar in batter!:eek:

However, just made Fresh Coffee and the applewood smoked bacon is sizzling in the grill ! :dancesmil

chris horne
26th October 2005, 17:48
Bill r u sure ur scotish
offering free food and drink what will ur fellow clansmen think:roflblack
but im glad ur offering i need a hot drink by the time i grt up there:tour

kiltbill
26th October 2005, 19:36
Bill r u sure ur scotish
offering free food and drink what will ur fellow clansmen think:roflblack
but im glad ur offering i need a hot drink by the time i grt up there:tour

Might even manage a dram if your so inclined Chris !:banana

BonRu
26th October 2005, 20:28
And for Bonnie!

Toooooo funny!!!!! :laugh Thanks for thinking of me PB! ;)

Deicer18
26th October 2005, 20:50

AWWWWWWWWWWW HELL Stevo.:censor Now you gone and done it. Down here in the South we DO have real bacon. Comes from those very fat hogs we butcher on a regular basis. And we like it crunchy also. But what we really like is country sauage patties with our aigs n grits. YUMMMM YUMMMMM And even better is COUNTRY ham. Not that citified ham them Yankees eat but the real Thwang. And you better have lots to drink with that ham.

stevo
27th October 2005, 00:16
yeah the only time I had real bacon when I was livin in the states was in the south.....and they got it from a local guy

Sportster Girl
27th October 2005, 00:23
Just give me a minute, I'll be right over.

I gotta slap the pontoons on the bike and rig the all-weather canopy. :tour

Irondrake77
27th October 2005, 00:52
mmmmmmmmmm...Bacon...and rolls...and haggis...and beer. Must go put Kilt on and find food. :brocoli :dpepper :chtwo

ed_in_az
27th October 2005, 02:10
BLTs are one of my favorite food groups.:laugh Love bacon. Bacon rolls sound delicious too.:D

Big_Baazzoo
29th October 2005, 07:05
OH a dram is it? now there's some Scottish I Understand ... Not "Scotch" mind you, but Scottish, a dram it is Sir, on you, Is It Sir? I'll take Guinness ...

mordak
29th October 2005, 14:00
Bill I guess I can't make it there can you just mail me some of those bacon rolls over here instead? :D

xena
29th October 2005, 14:29
Bacon rolls sound yum Bill. Could start a whole new trend here in the states. ;). Stevo I don't know who fed you that canadian bacon story but ya can get real bacon with breakfast just about anywhere in the U.S.

kiltbill
29th October 2005, 14:54
Bacon rolls sound yum Bill. Could start a whole new trend here in the states. ;). Stevo I don't know who fed you that canadian bacon story but ya can get real bacon with breakfast just about anywhere in the U.S.

Nah, it's jist nae the same lass... the stuff wi hae here is guid thick rashers, neen oh thon wee skinny things ye hae ower there. Now fit ye dae is pit it under a grill for aboot 3 minutes each side, till it's rikt crispy and sizzlin.

Then ye get a Floury bap, spread wie frseh salted butter and slap i bacon in, then jist a drizzle o HP broon sauce, and there ye go a Roll fit fer a King. Damn noo i'll hae tae go and mak een, that fair got me belly rumblin and the mooth watering.

Noo, if yer efter ony mare rare scottish recipies, jist gie me a shout.

I wiz in thon place Miami and that ither place Key West a coupla years ago, and there wiz nae shortage o damn fine food bit nae a decent bacon roll tae be seen. And man oh man, ye see some sikts in thon Key West place... I wiz jist gled i wizznae wearin me kilt, think it widda been lifted a lot o times!!!

The Kilted Chef... :laugh

stevo
31st October 2005, 11:25
Xena.. I lived in N'Orlins for about 5 months in '93-'94 and could only get decent bacon in a couple of specialty shops and it was sold as Canadian Bacon..

xena
31st October 2005, 14:03
Hey Bill, around my neck of the woods if ya want the real deal ya hafta buy from a farm or a butcher shop and bring it home and cook it yourself. I don't like canadian bacon so I do know the difference but needless to say I don't eat alot of bacon because I wanna live past 45. :D

kiltbill
31st October 2005, 14:49
Hey Bill, around my neck of the woods if ya want the real deal ya hafta buy from a farm or a butcher shop and bring it home and cook it yourself. I don't like canadian bacon so I do know the difference but needless to say I don't eat alot of bacon because I wanna live past 45. :D

:roflblack Woo Hoo, made it past 45! Bacon Roll to celebrate!!

Have a great day Xena.

:tour

KC_Sporty_Gal
1st November 2005, 04:02
Bah, it's your birthday! Have 2 bacon rolls! :banana

:roflblack Woo Hoo, made it past 45! Bacon Roll to celebrate!!

:tour

gunslinger
29th November 2005, 16:19
UK bacon is basicly the American bacon with the small piece of ham (what's used for Canadian Bacon) at the under side of it still connected. It's pretty good. Pigs over here isn't fattened up as much as in the states either so it fries up leaner and less greese. They don't smoke bacon over here though much so if I get it off base I usually have to smoke it myself.

whiffy
30th November 2005, 00:31
Ahhh bacon. Had a bacon roll this morning, just with non smoked back bacon. Yum.

I really like about 3 rashers of back or middle cut bacon, fried with a little olive oil in a pan. Once done to taste, crispy or not, I put in about half a can of chopped tomatoes (or plum, I'm not fussy) a few bits of chopped basil and a shake of lemon juice. Heat for a while longerso the mess boils off a bit and then on the plate with some fresh baked wholemeal bread, possibly toasted (wiv butter on of course). mmmmmmmmm. off to the kitchen right now!

Whiffi.

Mr Jimi
30th November 2005, 00:35
Bill, did ya want some oysters with those bacon rolls??
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/562/medium/Raw_Oysters.jpg
Enjoy and they are GREAT steamed:)
Jim:tour

kiltbill
30th November 2005, 01:02
OMG Jimi...whiffy was getting me mouth watering, and you show me that pic again!!! :frownthre show me the Fried ones!!! :D

Scooter_Trash
30th November 2005, 01:04
UK bacon is basicly the American bacon with the small piece of ham (what's used for Canadian Bacon) at the under side of it still connected. It's pretty good. Pigs over here isn't fattened up as much as in the states either so it fries up leaner and less greese. They don't smoke bacon over here though much so if I get it off base I usually have to smoke it myself.

Smoking bacon? You crazy kids....next thing you know they'll be dipping cigarettes in formaldehyde.:frownthre

SportsterBart
30th November 2005, 01:09
I loves me some ersters Jim, but they have to be steamed. Otherwise they remind me of a bad cold or something :laugh :p

Bart