PDA

View Full Version : riding with a disability

wngdweeler
4th February 2013, 02:28
while some may debate my "disability", it can be a real problem when riding and communicating.
i have a paralyzed vocal cord. a souvenir from a snowmobile accident 7 years ago that also took the life of my best friend, my brother. my voice is no more than a whisper now and unless were in a library, your gonna ask me to repeat myself...alot...lol.
trying to talk when stopped at a light, stop sign etc... is dam near impossible.
going to clubs and large gatherings are tough. in a strange way its made me more outgoing and i do have a great sense of humor about it, i mean, what else can i do? disabilities arent always visible...food for thought.

cherokee jim
4th February 2013, 03:01
Weeler my ridin bud tells everyone he rides with a disability and then he points at me.
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z374/jimrick1/011-1.jpg

wngdweeler
4th February 2013, 03:21
much appreciated that cherokee, dam good laugh from that one! made my day!

cherokee jim
4th February 2013, 03:33
My work here is done-LOL.Remember,womens love a soft spoken outlaw.

Secretblend
4th February 2013, 04:19
while some may debate my "disability", it can be a real problem when riding and communicating.
i have a paralyzed vocal cord. a souvenir from a snowmobile accident 7 years ago that also took the life of my best friend, my brother. my voice is no more than a whisper now and unless were in a library, your gonna ask me to repeat myself...alot...lol.
trying to talk when stopped at a light, stop sign etc... is dam near impossible.
going to clubs and large gatherings are tough. in a strange way its made me more outgoing and i do have a great sense of humor about it, i mean, what else can i do? disabilities arent always visible...food for thought.

You and I would be a good combination! Since I am deaf, I wouldn't be able to hear you even if you could talk loudly!

:laugh

lo-rider
4th February 2013, 05:01
Speech disability?

A shattered heel bone on one side, a fractured ankle on the other side, and a fractured pelvis have left me partially disabled. But I can still ride.

MRMIKEY32
4th February 2013, 05:06
how about a throat mic, tied into a communications device?

semjpm
4th February 2013, 06:35
We have few hearing impaired riders in our chapter and we just use hand signals. The way I look at it in their view I'm mute, so we just work it out.

956bubba
4th February 2013, 07:46
one of my best buds is deaf. we utilize typical motorcycle sign. outlaw signs. and a combination of universal and ASL to communicate. it works so well that a few of my other buddies use it too.

Bob F
4th February 2013, 13:56
how about a throat mic, tied into a communications device?

What I was thinking too.

wngdweeler
5th February 2013, 02:21
Speech disability?

A shattered heel bone on one side, a fractured ankle on the other side, and a fractured pelvis have left me partially disabled. But I can still ride.

much like the dinner scene from jaws...we can compare scars...:)
fractured orbital, shattered jaw, broken collar bone, 11 broken ribs, two collapsed lungs, lacerated kidney and spleen, and a dissected aorta...and the vocal cord thing which has been operated on several times...nothing quite like being awakened mid surgery to "talk" lol.
never looked into the vocal amp for fear of sounding like ned from south park hehe.

bklyngeezer
27th April 2014, 08:46
Lost my right eye due to a non MC accident when I was 20. Been riding monocular ever since. I was scared shitless the first time I got back on a bike. I felt like a kid again but I'm glad I did