PDA

View Full Version : MUSC Survey

XLFREAK
2nd November 2005, 02:18
Here's a link to a survey being taken of motorcyclists by the Medical University of South Carolina. I took it....pretty basic stuff.

http://www.musc.edu/cyclesurvey/

Bikerdude
4th November 2005, 07:03
..Thanks..for what it's worth..I took the survey..:smoke

willprevale
4th November 2005, 10:09
For some reason, it kinda glides form motorcycles into health issues. Not sure I'm confortable with that.

Fuzzy
6th November 2005, 00:51
That was so much crap. I kinda had to modify my riding to fit their pencil-necked ideas.

stevo
6th November 2005, 01:24
they are after specific answers to prove some theory......

Too narrow a focus.....

I don't get lower back pain....so I exited the survey early..

And I ride every day....but I ride different bikes...and even tho I ride a sportsbike most of the time..the riding position is upright

no_chrome
12th November 2005, 17:19
That was so much crap. I kinda had to modify my riding to fit their pencil-necked ideas.
Yeah, the survey seemed awfully unscientific, and felt like another attempt to justify some future anti-mc propagana. But maybe Im paranoid.

XLFREAK
15th November 2005, 00:03
hehehe....I've got puhlenty of lower back pain, but it's not from riding. It's from years of chasing, jumping fences, tackling, fighting, getting rear ended by drunk drivers, tripping over things in the dark, etc. etc. :)

883rnh
18th November 2005, 07:06
What about the questions of depression ? Sounds like a shrink test too.
:spineyes loco!

newberrykc
18th November 2005, 08:39
Not sure what that was about, but I took it anyway...

Krayven Sumhead
30th December 2005, 12:45
I took it mostly cuz I suffer from DDD of the lumbar region. Five herniated disks and terrible stenosis.

Carl-04XL
30th December 2005, 14:05
Yup, took it and gave reasonable answers, to fit their (un)reasonable questions.
Ya can kinda see what kind of slant a survey wants to 'verify' by the choices. Most of those questions should have had an 'other' choice, with a blank line for write-in answers.

Looked like they were trying to associate motorcycling and back pain. Now if they wanted to know how non-disease caused back pain was acquired...

Damn biased pollsters... is there any other kind? :rolleyes:

Casper
30th December 2005, 14:40
Yeah, the survey seemed awfully unscientific, and felt like another attempt to justify some future anti-mc propagana. But maybe Im paranoid.
No, I don't think you're paranoid on this one. Even before reading the reponses on this thread, I got the exact same thought while taking the survey (actually, the thought running through my head was that stupid robot with his arms flailing, saying "Danger, Will Robinson. Danger". For an allegedly medical survey, it was very one-sided. As either a medical practicioner or a research scientist, I would be embarassed to put my name on the author list of a survey like that.

The part that really set off my "anti-bike propaganda" alarm was the fact that most of the questions are so generic, they could apply to anyone. Last I heard, lower back pain is the most common chronic injury in Western civilization, so it only stands to reason that more bikers have lower back pain than any other injury. I'm sure working in an office 8 hours a day has 10x greater impact on lower back pain than riding for a few hours a week.

For those of us without windshields, I think riding may actually be somewhat beneficial. The strength required to keep upright against 55mph winds (because, of course, I never speed :D) has not only done wonders for my forearms, but I've also noticed that I've had LESS back pain since I started riding; probably because my back and ab muscles are also working against the wind. I noticed they didn't have a "miscellaneous comments" box at the bottom for me to put things like THAT in! On the upside, because my lower back is doing fine now, I got to check "no" to the question "do you currently have lower back pain". I'm sure that didn't help them prove what they're looking to prove; that bikes are not only dangerous, but painful as well. That's a shame, I really feel bad I couldn't help them. ...no, really. :smoke

ed_in_az
30th December 2005, 15:22
After reading theses responses I haven't even looked at the survey. Why should I contribute to something slanted against motorcycling? I hang up on phone surveys too.

Snuffy
30th December 2005, 16:47
Didn't quite get the anti- MC, I took the test and as stated kind of generic, afterall we consider our motocycling a sport, Maybe just Maybe they are comparing injury of our "sport" to other "sports". Who knows kind of a dumb poll anyways. Least it didn't ask if you were "liberal" or "conservative"