PDA

View Full Version : Truck Drivers are A$$holes

STEVOMERCKX
2nd November 2005, 23:42
first off if you are a truck driver on this site you obviously respect motorcycles and fellow riders so this is not directed towards you.

So me and my buddy were doing a nice run around the area about a 35-40mile trip and we get behind a truck. all of you know all the crap that hits you when your behind a truck sucks and isnt fun at all so we get over to the other lane which happens to be merging. since we where behind the truck we didnt notice it until we got in the lane. so as we try to get in front of the truck the cars infront of the truck start to brake. instead of braking along with the cars making it easy for me and my buddy to get over he decides to ride my ass making my buddy run off the road. my buddy was smart and was able to slow down and not wipe out, mind you the shoulder was gravel. and stayed on my ass for a couple hundred feet until i got off to wait for my friend. i did give the trucker the bird which he is lucky because if i lived in texas my gun would have been out and i would have unload a clip in his windshield. if i was in a car it would have just been inconvient if you got into an accident but on a bike someone would have gotten hurt semi vs bike not good odds at all.

i lost so much respect for truck drivers today.

Rant over,
Steve

cantolina
2nd November 2005, 23:46
first off if you are a truck driver on this site you obviously respect motorcycles and fellow riders so this is not directed towards you.

So me and my buddy were doing a nice run around the area about a 35-40mile trip and we get behind a truck. all of you know all the crap that hits you when your behind a truck sucks and isnt fun at all so we get over to the other lane which happens to be merging. since we where behind the truck we didnt notice it until we got in the lane. so as we try to get in front of the truck the cars infront of the truck start to brake. instead of braking along with the cars making it easy for me and my buddy to get over he decides to ride my ass making my buddy run off the road. my buddy was smart and was able to slow down and not wipe out, mind you the shoulder was gravel. and stayed on my ass for a couple hundred feet until i got off to wait for my friend. i did give the trucker the bird which he is lucky because if i lived in texas my gun would have been out and i would have unload a clip in his windshield. if i was in a car it would have just been inconvient if you got into an accident but on a bike someone would have gotten hurt semi vs bike not good odds at all.

Rant over,
Steve

Not to be argumentative, but had you not been following closely behind, you should have seen a sign telling you there was a merge ahead...

Not saying he was in the right, but I'n not so sure you were, either... :(

STEVOMERCKX
2nd November 2005, 23:52
Not to be argumentative, but had you not been following closely behind, you should have seen a sign telling you there was a merge ahead...

Not saying he was in the right, but I'n not so sure you were, either... :(

we were at a light, we werent following closly we were behind him because of the light

cantolina
2nd November 2005, 23:59
Which lane did you try to pass in?

GOTWA
3rd November 2005, 00:05
Glad you're alright and hopefully there was ome kind of learning experience.

I don't think I would paint with such a broad brush though. There are plenty of a-holes on/in all vehicle types. That particular truck driver may be one, but that doesn't qualify them all as being one.

indyrednek
3rd November 2005, 00:05
Same type of crap happens here in Arizona.
Our trip back from California was eventful.
When we were moving along at a good clip to pass these semis one would pull in front of us going 55, we were going 75-80.
Like you I too gave him the one finger salute as well as a few comments when I finally passed him.

sportsterwheelies
3rd November 2005, 00:07
I agree you shoulda shot that mo&*er Fu(%er!! JK Overall I think truckers are pretty safe drivers. They are the most experienced drivers on the road. yer always gona get that one asshole. most are respectful professional drivers.

whispanic
3rd November 2005, 00:12

Rant over,
Steve

Alot of truckers are bikers! You found a bad one. He was probably just as pissed as you for running up in his blind spot.

Best thing would have been to ease off the gas and fall back to you had room to clear the whole load of traffic.

Seems like he wanted to brake just as much as you did.

Hell I live in cattle country and Ive had for than my fair share of cow shit in my face...hell it gives me street cred! :D

Adios

cantolina
3rd November 2005, 00:25
The picture isn't clear for me yet, so I'm withholding any real judgement....

I'd really like to see a diagram of how this went down...including other traffic...

Something ain't adding up here......

whispanic
3rd November 2005, 00:29
The picture isn't clear for me yet, so I'm withholding any real judgement....

I'd really like to see a diagram of how this went down...including other traffic...

Something ain't adding up here......

I can tell your a tech man!

Sounds like he was getting a lil debree so he hauled biscuits in the right lane and merged left...in doing so lost distance between he and the forward traffic and he and the trucker...............I think.

Adios

STEVOMERCKX
3rd November 2005, 00:35
I can tell your a tech man!

Sounds like he was getting a lil debree so he hauled biscuits in the right lane and merged left...in doing so lost distance between he and the forward traffic and he and the trucker...............I think.

Adios

in a nut shell

cantolina
3rd November 2005, 00:43
OOOOOOOOOOOOOK

NOW I get it...Kinda what I thought....

Dude...you scared the SHEEEAT outta him...and he didn't want to be put in that position again...

Ever seen this?

<right side
suicide>

That's the way it is....

So, I'm curious...what did you learn from this, if anything?

GOTWA
3rd November 2005, 00:57
I'll say this, I give semi's a WIDE berth! No matter what they are doing I either drop off and stay back or get around them as soon and as quickly is safely possible.

Right, wrong or indifferent don't matter a lick cuz they will squish you.

I'm especially cautious in the north country when around logging trucks. Anyone familiar with logging trucks/drivers will understand. :)

It's imperative for us to remember that truckers can have a helluva time seeing us on bikes. Not saying that was the case here, just taking the opportunity to make the point.

I do my best to drift back and forth into their mirrors (from a good ways back) to help them see me. And at a light I will move way over to the left before I stop until I can see the driver in his/her mirror. Not only does it make me feel better, I have no dount drivers appreciate knowing I'm there and exactly where I am. If possible/practical, before I pass a semi I'll hesitate slightly in their mirror with my signal on before I swing out. Ideally I catch them seeing me in their mirror. I know he's going to lose me as I come along side of him but if he knows I'm coming he knows to look for me passing his cab. Oh, if at all possible, I never pass a truck in a curve or on the right.

Just food for thought.

SportsterBart
3rd November 2005, 01:01
Sometimes a simple wave defuses a lot of these situations. ;)

Bart

Y2K
3rd November 2005, 01:44
Don't be in such a hurry sonny :rolleyes:
Better to hang back a ways then get around the truck when it's safe , keep in mind it's hard for a trucker to see other cars let alone bikes zipping around them.
Big rigs don't stop on a dime either.
Maybe the guy was just a jerk but don't hold it against all truckers,some bikers are jerks too;)
Never get in a hurry in traffic on a bike if you want to stay alive,trust me I've had my share of close calls over the years and have learned a thing or two about survival.
Y2K:smoke
http://img313.imageshack.us/img313/5740/argspeedbumpsmtitluri0ja.gif

willprevale
3rd November 2005, 01:49
Not knowing the complete dynamics of the incident, I won't pass judgement. I will say this though. Truckers are a lot like bikers. The vast majority are considerate and and damn good drivers. Every so often you'll find an egghead but that doesn't make them all bad.

Not because he's my kid but I'm gonna go with cantolina on this one. In most every situation, we play a role. Our job is define that role and use it for a learning tool. Sometimes that role can be so minor as to appear insignificant but in the overall picture an adjustment on our part might have avoided the incident altogether.

Watch a hawk or an eagle in flight. Notice how they change direction with seemingly no effort. They've learned that small changes can and do make a big difference.

cantolina
3rd November 2005, 01:54
Oh, and one more thing...

Don't take any of this personally...

WE want to learn from your experience...and even more, we want to make sure YOU learn something from it...

I think I can speak for the majority when I say that we would like you to continue sharing and learning with us for a long time to come...

Roadster_Rider
3rd November 2005, 02:05
Now while this particular trucker MAY have been an incosiderate a-hole, that doesnt mean they all are, my great uncle owned a bike shop and is a trucker, mind you he drives way to fast, hes a responsible and respecful driver, I just dont see the sense in raising bad blood against any particular group.

cobra0478
3rd November 2005, 02:09
I had a flat tire in a construction zone during rush hour.A kind trucker blocked traffic off me for an hour while I waited for a trailer to arive.
His deed probably saved my wife and my lives.
There are A holes out there,but for the most they are people like us,who care and try to make a diference.

GOTWA
3rd November 2005, 02:15
Oh, and one more thing...

Don't take any of this personally...

WE want to learn from your experience...and even more, we want to make sure YOU learn something from it...

I think I can speak for the majority when I say that we would like you to continue sharing and learning with us for a long time to come...

I want to echo that sentiment for sure.

When we post our riding experiences we can all learn from them. These guys have taught me a ton beyond the workings of a Sporty for sure.

Just a note, I'm going to move this thread over to the Riding Tips discussion area. :tour

willprevale
3rd November 2005, 02:35
One more thing about truckers and then I'll leave it alone.

I drove those things over the road for about ten years back in the 60s and 70s. I can tell you from first hand experience that from 65 ft back, a motorcycle is about as visible and predictable as a fly. That poor guy has no clue as to what your next move is and he can't spare the time to keep gawking to make sure. Remember, he still has that other mirror to contend with, plus what's in front of him... and oh yeah, he's pretty concerned about that yahoo on the cell phone next to him.

It takes a long time to stop that rig and a lotta room if he needs to manuever out of a situation. Give him a break. He's got more on his mind than a bike to contend with. Don't expect him to watch out for you. Take responsibility and look out for yourself.

I realize this post won't win me any rep points but I'd rather lose rep points any day than lose a friend.

tonyhds
3rd November 2005, 03:12
One more thing about truckers and then I'll leave it alone.

I drove those things over the road for about ten years back in the 60s and 70s. I can tell you from first hand experience that from 65 ft back, a motorcycle is about as visible and predictable as a fly. That poor guy has no clue as to what your next move is and he can't spare the time to keep gawking to make sure. Remember, he still has that other mirror to contend with, plus what's in front of him... and oh yeah, he's pretty concerned about that yahoo on the cell phone next to him.

It takes a long time to stop that rig and a lotta room if he needs to manuever out of a situation. Give him a break. He's got more on his mind than a bike to contend with. Don't expect him to watch out for you. Take responsibility and look out for yourself.

I realize this post won't win me any rep points but I'd rather lose rep points any day than lose a friend.

BS, you just scored points from me. You speak the truth !

wabiker
3rd November 2005, 05:06
...yep...what Willprevale said. Fact is, that applies equally to cagers.

lefty
3rd November 2005, 05:13
:D I've always found truckers to be accomodating when I'm on the bike, more so than when in the cage. . .On the other hand I give those huge mofos lots of room at all times. . .not interested in racing them to a point or points.

Lefty

wabiker
3rd November 2005, 05:18
.....cage or bike I give 'em plenty of room, for the reasons stated and in addition to the fact that if theyre behind me I dont want them running over me and if theyre in front of me, I dont like try to dodge rocks and other debris theyre tires might kick up.... but then Im known to be paranoid.