View Full Version : AAA, Hog, or other

17th February 2008, 14:47
what do you use for emergency road side serice or do you not have it. Do you have good or bad experience with what you have

17th February 2008, 14:52
Never had to use it, but I have road side assistance, thru my insurance.
Heard alot of horror stories about the HOG plan.

17th February 2008, 14:55
My insurance has some coverage and I carry my HOG card.

Of course, neither are any good without a cell phone.

17th February 2008, 14:57
Received a complimentary 1 year membership in HOG with the purchase of my 07 XL1200N. Never had to use it. I am thinking about re-newing mainly for the road side help. I'll be interested in hearing the good/bad stories. :rolleyes:

17th February 2008, 14:59
I've got AAA & HOG right now..I'm gonna drop the HOG when renewal comes up..

17th February 2008, 15:35
I have HOG and SWT (Son With Truck!)

17th February 2008, 15:36
Go with AAA and the premium membership .

17th February 2008, 15:41
I either fix it on the side of the road or my buddy picks it up with his truck.

17th February 2008, 15:51
I didn't have any until after I was left on the side of the motorway for over 7 hours til a friend with a van came to my rescue. I detailed this (battery explosion) in another previous post concerning electrics, charging systems and batteries. My insurance offered it but I never opted for the coverage. I have it now though and thankfully haven't needed it. The extra few bucks it costs kind of gives me a small bit of reassurance knowing that if I do break down a long way from home, myself, my partner and the bike will be recovered from the roadside. As long as the battery in one of our mobile phones holds up. :wonderlan

17th February 2008, 16:07
Go with AAA and the premium membership .

AAA won't cover motorcycles unless you buy their "RV" coverage which is about another $40 per year. I found out the hard way: have the Premium membership but was told 'too bad' when I had a flat last year.


17th February 2008, 17:05
Yeah, AAA sucks when it comes to motorcycles. I've had to get the RV plan as well, but I don't understand how it so much more, especially when you get 2 motorcycles under the coverage. Never had HOG so I don'tknwo what they offer. Is there any other road-side service companies????

17th February 2008, 17:33
I have AAA plus and not the RV, I have yet to use it for the bike other than my friend ran out of gas...lol, The RV is in olny some states for the bike, I have a friend that has a towing company here in oregon so I am never left anywhere

17th February 2008, 17:44
HOG and Progressive Ins.

17th February 2008, 18:43
HOG and Progressive Ins.

Ditto here. Haven't been left sitting yet, though, thank goodness. But just in case...I just think it's a good idea.

17th February 2008, 22:32
I have AAA, Had it for years for the cage. Should look into something for the bike though.

18th February 2008, 03:11
I have it thru my insurance and the HOG membership came with the bike. I hope I never have to use either

24th February 2008, 04:22
I'm on CAA (so I voted AAA - same thing). The only difference is that we don't need an RV endorsement on our membership for bikes; it's included. :D

24th February 2008, 05:21
Dont count on hog ,they jus sell bikes ,carry tools a plug kit an a tow strap, youd be suprised what you can do' ridin since 82,anything I can, 02 883R

24th March 2008, 02:05
Knock on wood, haven't needed any of it yet, but I voted "other". I have a pickup, both grown sons have trucks too, I carry a cell phone, and I have towing/hauling as part of my insurance package with Progressive.

24th March 2008, 03:50
had AAA for my cage, used it 2 times in one year and they dropped me, buncha a-holes

24th March 2008, 04:39
I currently have AAA but am planning on going with the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) coverage in the near future. I am surprised the AMA was not included in this poll as this association covers a huge number of riders. You can cover both your cars and bikes through the AMA. This is what has attracted me, in additon to the associations' legislative activism on behalf of riders.

6th May 2008, 00:21
I go through progressive and recently found out they have very similar roadside assistance to AAA for a fraction of the the cost...haven't had to use it yet so don't know how good the service is...but sure I'll need to soon...I run out of gas a lot b/c I'm kind of dumb.

6th May 2008, 00:24
I have both AAA and HOG.

I've had AAA for years and used it almost every year on one vehicle or another (sometimes even on friends vehicles). It's great and i'll keep renewing it for the towing alone but also for the triptik service and often vehicle registration / title transfer service they offer.

This is my first year with HOg and have not had occasion to use them yet except for chapter activities which are fun so-far.

6th May 2008, 01:41
I voted 'other'. Other being a Ford F150 pickup.

I think I actually have roadside assistance through my Progressive insurance, but it would have to be a dire emergency for me to use it.

6th May 2008, 02:13
I go for the rag-in-gas-tank method. It's better then anything else.

Bike broke down?
Threw a rod?
Blew the top end to the moon?

Just stick a rag in the gas tank and light that mofo! Gar-UN-tee'd to fix 'dem problems with da bike.

6th May 2008, 02:19
AAA for me

6th May 2008, 02:30
AAA Plus RV.
I have used it a couple times as well as taken advantage of the discounts (i.e. hotels, rentals, etc)
Woth EVERY penny. It works over and above anything HOG or insurance can do.

6th May 2008, 02:31
As Sojourner mentioned the AMA has MoTow. It covers all of your motorcycles. It's $25/yr in addition to the AMA membership fee of $39/yr. MoTow Plus, $59.95/yr covers your automobiles and trailers, in addition to your bikes.


6th May 2008, 02:46
AMA looks like only 35 mile tows,
AAA 100 mile tows to anywhere not just a repair facility.