PDA

View Full Version : Oil Storage

opiate9680
1st December 2005, 04:37
I just came into a case (12 quarts) of HD syn3 20w-50 through near illegal methods (i'll leave the story for another thread) and i'm wondering how to store it or if it has a shelf life. I'm thinking maybe somewhere cool with a constant temperature like a basement with no direct sunlight would be a good spot or possibly a super cold environment like a fridge or just outside (its now winter here in peoria, Ill.) or should i even be worried at all about the oil and more worried about getting a lump of coal in my stocking for scoring this oil haha.

ctilson
1st December 2005, 04:49
You should have opted for the dino oil. It is well known that synthetic oil requires a more controlled environment.

Some experts argue in favor of the 70-70 rule -- 70 degrees and 70 percent relative humidity. I found that they smoke better when stored at 65 percent relative humidity. Just be sure that your storage device of choice has plenty of Spanish cedar. I have an Igloo cooler with Spanish cedar as shelves. It works quite nicely with 65% climax humidity beads.

Oops. Sorry. For a moment I thought I was on the cigar board.

opiate9680
1st December 2005, 05:44
ha you scared the hell out of me for a minute man. thanks for the advice though, you think if i keep them in a corner of my basement where humidity and temp remain relatively constant and out of direct sunlight that they should be alright? i mean its just oil, right?

avnsteve
1st December 2005, 05:52
if dino was fine in the ground for umpteen thousands of years, then syn should have the shelf life of a package of twinkies right? I really wouldn't know but its an interesting question.

jag1
1st December 2005, 13:46
I know that there is a shelf life on oils. The problem is the additives fall to the bottom and cannot be mixed back in the oil. What the shelf life is, I don't know.

toe
1st December 2005, 23:34
I know that there is a shelf life on oils. The problem is the additives fall to the bottom and cannot be mixed back in the oil. What the shelf life is, I don't know.

Just turn the bottles upside down..........

Then the additives are at the top and the first to go into bike; They will get plenty mixed up with the engine running. :D

At what does relative humidity have to do with oil stored inside a bottle???????? Unless you really care about the box, who cares about the relative humidity.

Ed

doc
1st December 2005, 23:36
Hey Opiate,
You can send me 6 quarts to store for you!!!!

BobboJama
5th December 2005, 13:22
You should have opted for the dino oil. It is well known that synthetic oil requires a more controlled environment.

Some experts argue in favor of the 70-70 rule -- 70 degrees and 70 percent relative humidity. I found that they smoke better when stored at 65 percent relative humidity. Just be sure that your storage device of choice has plenty of Spanish cedar. I have an Igloo cooler with Spanish cedar as shelves. It works quite nicely with 65% climax humidity beads.

Isn't older better?? I try to age mine for at least a year. Cedar Chips, (hampster bedding) added to the cabinet add character.

jag1
5th December 2005, 13:52
go here and ask the question. http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=9;DaysPrune=1000