PDA

View Full Version : riding with ms

mikemc13
24th June 2014, 02:16
hello, new to forum, riding for ages, diagnosed with ms over a year ago. it kinda sucks not being able to ride, (or walk or even work) as much as i would like to, but i am grateful for what i have. my wife is very upbeat and always cheers me up when i am down. i have been on an electra glide full bagger for a few years, but my condition with mobility issues does not always allow me to ride a 800 lb bike, i found a good deal on a sporty and jumped on it. i have had a 71 xlch hot rod and a 91 883 years ago. after riding my new to me 883c this last week i dont know why i ever left the sporty behind. even on my good days i find myself choosing my new sporty. it almost feels as light as my vespas, lol. i had some mobility issues this weekend, so i was browsing around looking for parts to make my new bike my way and found you. i am putting together some ideas and a shopping list and will post pics as i progress.
mike

Rico 05R
24th June 2014, 02:43
Welcome to the XLForum family, Mike.

rocketmangb
24th June 2014, 03:19
Welcome home Mike !

I know MS is debilitating and its good you can Ride as it will certainly help your sanity !

My now ex girlfriend has MS and had good days and bad ones.

Her vision went to hell and she gave up her DL but she managed to get her DL back and passed the MSF course and got her M1 in California.

So I bought her a 2012 "48" but thats a long story and I wont share it here.

We are glad to have you and happy you can Get in the Wind !

Dennis M
24th June 2014, 03:21
Welcome to the forum Mike' stay positive my friend.

oilly1
24th June 2014, 03:25
Here's hoping we all get to ride for a good while longer! Good luck, and you have found a good place here. Keep us posted.:)

ColinB
24th June 2014, 07:32
Welcome to the forum.... you'll get a lot of support here.

XL Ed
24th June 2014, 11:25
Welcome Mike

10car
29th August 2014, 09:05
Hi Mike, I was diagnosed w/ MS about a year and a half ago. So anyway, I was just coming to post questions about disability and the legallities of riding on it. I am still working just so I can ride, though very tough,especially on hot days as you know. I have a nightster trike, (trikester) for hot days when I have trouble walking, but I don't want to give up 2 wheels! Love my 883r. Gonna read all I can about getting disability and riding. Luck

Mikey Jay
29th August 2014, 09:39
Welcome, as Colin said everyone here is full of info and we'll all be supportive as best as we can :)

Keep on riding :tour

beeman07
29th August 2014, 14:56
Something to store away for future reference:

I met a gal last year whose MS is to the point that she can't ride on two wheels for very long, but she refuses to quit riding. She sold off most of her two-wheelers and almost exclusively rides a Ural (http://www.imz-ural.com) both for the stability that a third wheel brings and because tank shifters are readily available.

Urals are fun if you don't mind going slow (top-end is 65-70 mph), don't mind dealing with UDF (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697630), and don't mind doing a little more motorcycle maintenance than you do on a Sporty.

-Fred.

mikemc13
30th August 2014, 03:07
Hi Mike, I was diagnosed w/ MS about a year and a half ago. So anyway, I was just coming to post questions about disability and the legallities of riding on it. Luck

hi, im kinda figuring these things out myself still. my neuro wont give me a disability placard, he said that the state of IL is cracking down on the ease of getting disabled plates or placards. he said that it could be tough to prove that i cannot walk 100 yards, or whatever the dist is, because i have good days and bad days. so in other words, if im having trouble getting around i should just stay home. bunch of bs. i have seen 2 wheeled motorcycles with disability plates, so i do not think that a disability would prevent you from riding, as long as you can handle it. i am usually only able to work 15-20 hours a week due to having a physical job, so i dont ride to work anymore in the case that i would have mobiity issues after work. the upside of working 3-4 half days is that i get 3-4 day weekends so i can sneak a ride in if i am up for it, make you appreciate the ride much more when you could barely walk the day before. keep on fighting the fight and enjoying your good times

mikemc13
30th August 2014, 03:16
Something to store away for future reference:

I met a gal last year whose MS is to the point that she can't ride on two wheels for very long, but she refuses to quit riding. She sold off most of her two-wheelers and almost exclusively rides a Ural (http://www.imz-ural.com) both for the stability that a third wheel brings and because tank shifters are readily available.

-Fred.

hi fred, my friend has a ural solo parked in my garage, yeah it can be fun, like the time i was taking it around the block and the taillight fell off when i hit a bump, then we realized they were serious in the owners manual when they said tighten all nuts and bolts every couple thousand miles :laugh . it has been sitting awhile but he wants to rebuild the carbs and get it going again. i was looking at an early 70's bmw with sidecar online at a dealer in chicago and was considering it an option , but will probably pass for now and kick myself later for not getting it because that is what i usually do

ezstreet481
30th August 2014, 03:33
Welcome Mike

I too have MS. Was diagnosed in '99. Haven't worked since '04. My poor '06 has been dropped more times than I can remember. Never over 2 mph though. Keep the faith up because you are not alone.

Mosey
30th August 2014, 04:08
Thank you all for sharing what you go through just to ride yer motorbikes. It puts it all in perspective. Brings life into a little sharper focus.

Makes me realize how lucky i am to swing a leg over my motorsickle and drop my ass in the saddle without a second thought.

All y'all are fine examples of perseverance. Keep up the good work and keep on ridin'.

BTW, any time I need a little extra reminder I like to read the posts written by an XLForum member named Hooks2u. Full on inspiration...

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=1058359

Life is short and brutal. Ride free...

marcbill
30th August 2014, 05:17
Reading over the whole thread I've decided that the healing power of the XL's can't be overlooked. lol All you folks are good people.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

marcusorelius
30th August 2014, 05:43
Mike, ya can get a National park free for life pass. Keep up the good fight!! I've had chronic fatigue syndrome for 20 years but can still ride my bikes! (my dog rides with me too)

sheep
6th September 2015, 00:23
Hi Mike i got ill on a RNLI lifeboat and lost my career & 25ft commercial fishing vessel all in 1 month my life changed forever when they dx'd me with parkinsons & dystoni anyhow in 2013 i awoke totally blind in my left eye hence tests & more tests came the sorry we were wrong it's MS , so ive had it for 15yrs now, i got severe double vision and have to wear an eye patch as vision is fecked.

As above MS & motorcycles dossnt seen right in the same sentence :)i hope we ALL keep riding for years yet.

I hope its okay to share here admin my apologies if not i made a facebook group that has been growing so rapidly called Bikers With MS 408 as of now worldwide at varying stages of this cruel disease all everyone is welcome if you love bikes or in the world that is MS anyhow hi & welcome to a great community Mike

Bikers With MS (https://www.facebook.com/groups/bikerswithms/)

Respect sheep :)

mikemc13
6th September 2015, 20:18
thanks for the fb link, I just liked and joined. My wife and I are putting together a fund raiser for ms research and awareness. My local HD dealer gave us a 2 day rental pass for any bike that they rent to auction at our event. When I went to pick it up I was chatting with the clothing sales girl and she told me that our local HOG group has many riders with ms. I have always been a solo rider, I dont really fit well in most groups for one reason or another, but I will def look into my local chapter now. I also have to keep an eyepatch around for when vision goes wonky. Lucky for me I have been doing better physically lately other than crippling fatigue. But as I have discovered since I developed this condition, it is a roller coaster of highs and lows for me so I am just trying to enjoy this ride while I can

sheep
17th November 2015, 16:34
Hi bud yep we are a support group purely to support anyone riding a scooter to a hog or a bike to a trike, our aim i simple to let everyone know that jusst because we have MS we cd overcome though it can be hard like last night i was supposed to attend a meeting but the minute i hit the road i couldnt see anything 1st timee in my life i have ever been scared on the roads, it didnt help as its awful weather here at the moment but nevertheless we adapt and overcome and i will endeavour to get out at night and practice as i havent riden or driven alot since i went blind in the left eye, its funny on a bike i dont feel the sscare yet in a cage it seems to freak me out, this disease hits us phsyically and mentally and if the group helps 1 person enjoy their ride just once then all the haard work has been worth it, we are on Facebook Bikers With MS (https://www.facebook.com/groups/bikerswithms/) and on Twitter too :)

And open to anyone who is linked to MS resspect sheep