PDA

View Full Version : A Real Pain In The......

plevine1
15th March 2008, 22:11
During the last few rides on the Sporty I have been getting a very bad pain in my left wrist. It starts within the first few minutes of my ride. It gets so bad that I can bearly pull in the clutch. I have over 25k miles on the bike and never had the problem. The bike shifts great, no problem finding neutral, so I don't think I have a mechanical problem.

Anyone else experiance this type of problem and what did you do. This is REALLY going to bother me as the season begins to kick off.

t&tkennels
15th March 2008, 23:00
Maybe its the clutch cable , could be corroded inside the sleeve , i have a honda cb750, put a new cable on it & within a year it froze up. They make a cable oiler , id check into it.

racerwill
15th March 2008, 23:04
maybe the problem is in your wrist..... some kind of carple tunnel thing.....

cuz you'd know if the clutch felt different

Ww

bigjnsa
15th March 2008, 23:04
During the last few rides on the Sporty I have been getting a very bad pain in my left wrist. It starts within the first few minutes of my ride. It gets so bad that I can bearly pull in the clutch. I have over 25k miles on the bike and never had the problem. The bike shifts great, no problem finding neutral, so I don't think I have a mechanical problem.

Anyone else experiance this type of problem and what did you do. This is REALLY going to bother me as the season begins to kick off.

Almost sounds like Carpal Tunnel in your left wrist. I have/had the same problem since I'm now using my Sporty for daily commute. Weekend rides you never really use the clutch a lot like you do city driving.

I've also noticed it is worse or better with the type of gloves you wear. I have a pair of black Frank Thomas gloves for a sportbike I usually wear, but man, they really hurt more. My dad suggested to get deer skin work gloves and they seem to work better. The best I've found are my winter gloves. Huge padding, but man I'm not wearing those unless its freezing outside ;)

Malicious44
15th March 2008, 23:18
i went for a ride a few days ago, and i had the same thing happen to me. i was in a nice warm place, left into the freezing cold, and i think i stretched the tendons. it was better in 2 or 3 days. i'm no expert on medical stuff, but i do work in a hospital, and had a nurse look at it. she just said to try not to move it too much and it will right itself. if it doesn't feel better after a week, i'd suggest you go see a doc.

just my 2 cents

Laker
16th March 2008, 00:43
It could be so many different things like age,previous injury and so on.Since you don't think it's a mechanical problem then you should get checked out in sick bay.Might be that left jab you planted on that fool a couple of weeks ago.

Fe Head
16th March 2008, 01:51
The vibration coming through the handle bars are likely causing some swelling in the tunnel and this will pich the nerve that also sit in there. The causes of the swelling can be from things ranging from pregnacy to consumming too much alcohol.

Have the handle bars been changed in any way?

A more relaxed grip, when not shifting, will alleviate it somewhat as will resting your hand off the handle bar frequently while riding. Non invasive treatments include ultrasound and/or diathermy to reduce the swelling.

As a first step I would try adjusting the angle of your handle bars and see how it feels. You should notice the difference right away.

Cheers;

ParrotHead
16th March 2008, 02:06
Dumb question, but are you wearing gloves and are they perhaps too tight around your wrist? I did that last spring.

Just a thought ...

plevine1
16th March 2008, 02:11
The vibration coming through the handle bars are likely causing some swelling in the tunnel and this will pich the nerve that also sit in there. The causes of the swelling can be from things ranging from pregnacy to consumming too much alcohol.

Have the handle bars been changed in any way?

A more relaxed grip, when not shifting, will alleviate it somewhat as will resting your hand off the handle bar frequently while riding. Non invasive treatments include ultrasound and/or diathermy to reduce the swelling.

As a first step I would try adjusting the angle of your handle bars and see how it feels. You should notice the difference right away.

Cheers;

Thanks, There is no swelling. I broke all my fingers on my left hand about 20 years ago but they never bother me during a ride. The pain begins within minutes of my ride. It will even hurt shaking it out while at a light. I think I might try and change the angle of the clutch lever. This might allow me to push my wrist upward and squeeze down.

skratch
16th March 2008, 02:19
i had the same problem when my sporty had buckhorn bars. they put my wrist at an awkward angle. if your bars do not allow your wrist to be straight out from your arms, try changing your bars so that they do. my buckhorns made my wrists jut out a little bit. also your idea of changing the angle of the clutch lever is a good one. and anything that can reduce the friction (effort) in the cable is worth it, ie lubing it, replacing with reduced effort clutch cable (i think it has teflon in it). several small changes added together can make a big difference.

rottenralph
16th March 2008, 02:22
What about getting an easypull clutch. Maybe you need to do the pennies in the bar trick to reduce vibrations. Maybe you need a bar change to get better leverage on the clutch.

Gone
14th April 2008, 04:35
I had a similar problem and have Buckhorn Bars like Skrach. I tried changing the angle of the bars as well as moving the clutch lever. Finally found a more comfortable position. I believe I changed the gloves I was wearing also to have more support in the wrist. I normally wear leather fingerless gloves but on really long trips I get more support in my wrist.(usually weight lifters gloves) I probably have corporal tunnel but won't admit it. Anyway hope this helps a little bit.:tour :smoke :clap