PDA

View Full Version : kidney belts

spineshot
17th March 2008, 05:01
Can anyone reccomend a kidney belt? i want something made here in the u.s. and preferably by somebody who makes their own,rather than a big company.i have black powder hunting gear that is handmade from buffaloe or buckskin,But the guy doesnt want to do a kidney belt,All he does is make leather items,And i'd like to find somebody who does the same but does kidney belts as well as other rider gear

XLXR
17th March 2008, 05:10
Dirt bikers use kidney belts, maybe you gould get one and cover it in leather.

Gone
17th March 2008, 05:15
A lot of heavy biker jackets come with built-in kidneybelts. Most folks don't understnd the purpose and seldom cinch them snug.

Hot Rod Sporty
17th March 2008, 05:40
What is the purpose of a kidney belt?:geek

XLXR
17th March 2008, 06:34
I wear one while riding my dirt bikes. The common myth is that it keeps your kidneys from bouncing around. But I think it provides spinal and abdominal protection below chest protectors that dirt bikers also wear.

spineshot
17th March 2008, 19:46
i'm not sure that it would actually do anything for my kidneys,but it does help support my lower spine and that helps for a more comfy ride,I have a belt from the VA but it's made for temporary support and sort of flimsy and didnt work well last riding season,so i tried my cousins leather belt and it was a vast improvement

jharback
17th March 2008, 20:23
You might try Fox Creek Leather. I know they make jackets with built in kidney support. Not sure about just kidney belts. Their an american, small family, run operation that makes high quality leather items with a lifetime guarantee. Their expensive but, you get what you pay for. Their stuff is top quality!

Sporting Lad
17th March 2008, 20:32
Do they hold your tummy in? I'd like to be more slender this season without having to go through all that diet and exercise crap. :doh

jharback
17th March 2008, 23:16
Do they hold your tummy in? I'd like to be more slender this season without having to go through all that diet and exercise crap. :doh

How 'bout one of these:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh90/jharback/mangirdle.jpg

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :smoke

DEEP DIVER
17th March 2008, 23:59
Me and my wife both use a NIKE waist wrap its is made from neoprene and will stretch to hold you firm and has velcro for fastening and on long runs help to support your back.
Check out your sports shops for types and prices.

Hot Rod Sporty
18th March 2008, 01:32

Maybe Harley makes a girdle with a HD logo on it....:smoke

racerwill
18th March 2008, 01:41
it's not just that it supports your back but it holds all your guts from bangin' around in there.... moto cross racers use them cuz all the bouncing around.....

and they help support your back.

and it helps ya look all fit and trim......

Ww

rottenralph
18th March 2008, 01:58
I have seen tons of kidney belts from my exploits in Europe. They are a staple in any performance bike shop but here they are few and far between. I have one but it certainly is not leather. Mine has elastic style webbing and it stretches. Here is one but the price suggests not made in usa. http://www.raskcycle.com/leather/webdoc32.html

Sporting Lad
18th March 2008, 02:05
How 'bout one of these:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh90/jharback/mangirdle.jpg

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :smoke

Perfect! I think you found an old photo of my Dad! :laugh:laugh

spineshot
18th March 2008, 18:27
I'm not really worried about my figure lol! i'm at my fairly trim weight of 165,I dont work out but i do have to do physical therapy,and that helps but i still need support for my spine.I'm gonna take a look at that girdle!

myrl883
18th March 2008, 19:16
Where are you located? I'm pretty sure that Langlitz Leathers makes 'em. Any good bike-related leather shop should be able to help you out.

ABNRanger
18th March 2008, 19:23
If you are looking for something that provides actual back/lower spine support, check out this website: http://www.backaline.com/ You will not find a better back brace. My father has a terrible back and he rode from VA to Sturgis with this thing on and never had back problems.

spineshot
19th March 2008, 16:45
That looks like a better idea,i found 3 more articles on the back-a-line,and they were about motorcyclists,And after years of leather belts they traded them for that,For 50 bucks,i'll try it.it's certainly better than what the VA gave me

jnlee3
19th March 2008, 18:05
I think there are a number of bikers I've seen that would need the maternity support belt instead.

I might have to try the belt out this summer if my back starts acting up again. I injured it a few years ago in a car crash along with my knees. I can stretch my legs for the knee problem but the back support might be nice.

spineshot
24th June 2008, 01:03
I got the back-a-line,and i've been using it everytime i ride,drastic reduction in lower spine pain and it takes longer for my left leg to go numb! I put 450 miles on the bike between maine and laconia last weekend much more fun this year than last year as i was comfy riding more

wabiker
24th June 2008, 01:42
... In the past, Ive just used a one of those nylon Back Support Belts I got from work.