PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel bearings

Almond farmer
7th September 2017, 14:08
Have performed extensive bearing life calculations for the front and rear wheel bearings on the softail ,touring and sportster series models.

The 25mm bore x 52 mm OD x 15mm wide single row spherical ball bearings do not provide sufficient bearing life for the softball and touring models for the rear wheel application.

The sportster rear wheel bearing life using the same size bearing is also marginal.

Suggest changing the design to a double row ball bearing for the rear wheel application for all three model series.

The front ball bearings, 25mm bore x 52 mm OD x 15mm wide single row, that carry less weight and dynamic load than the rear bearings has sufficient life for all three model series.

Also, to aid in the removal of the first spherical ball bearing, suggest two holes be placed in the bearing spacer sleeve 180 degrees apart to allow placement of a two jaw bearing puller. Sometimes, most times the friction between bearing outer race and wheel hub is greater than the friction between the expansion bearing puller tool and the inner race, resulting in the puller tool slipping out of bearing.
Once the first bearing is removed the opposite side bearing is easily removed.

IXL2Relax
7th September 2017, 16:22
The 25mm bore x 52 mm OD x 15mm wide single row spherical ball bearings do not provide sufficient bearing life for the softail and touring models for the rear wheel application.

The sportster rear wheel bearing life using the same size bearing is also marginal.

Suggest changing the design to a double row ball bearing for the rear wheel application for all three model series.

The front ball bearings, 25mm bore x 52 mm OD x 15mm wide single row, that carry less weight and dynamic load than the rear bearings has sufficient life for all three model series.

You have stated a conclusion (opinion) with these words - However, you did not explain what 'YOU MEAN' by 'sufficient life', which is an evaluative determination... enough life to roll out of the dealership door? enough life that you will never have to change it in your lifetime? enough life ONLY IF you change it every 5000 miles? enough life if you change it every time you change tires (could be anything from 3000mi to 15,000mi depending on the tires)?

Have performed extensive bearing life calculations for the front and rear wheel bearings on the softail ,touring and sportster series models.

Can you provide some actual facts of longevity (with type of failure, conditions of use, etc.) upon which others can make their own evaluation?

IXL 2 Relax
>>>> My Build & Ride Reports Are Here <<<< (http://thecyberzoo.com/kt-ridereports.html)

Reference the Sportsterpedia (http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start)
A FREE XLForum collection of technical info & advice

BKB
8th September 2017, 03:29
I replaced the rear wheel bearings on my '09 1200C at 80,000 miles. The wheel is not the original & was installed, with new H-D bearings, by a dealer, when the bike had about 7,000 or 8,000 miles on it, in 2010. Was getting a tire replaced due to fatal road hazard damage, this August 11th, a Dunlop E4, & my guy had me check the bearings when he went to balance the wheel. Very notchy feeling. Had just had the same guy mount & balance the same tire, on the same wheel, 4,600 miles before, on May 30th, with no issues about the bearings. I got about 70,000 miles on that set of bearings. If the tire hadn't been killed, I may have seen a bearing failure on the road. Draw your own conclusions on type of failure & conditions of use, etc. I'm retired & prefer the bike as daily transportation over the car. I ride in the rain if need be, cold down to 40*F, & in heat, as hot as it gets where ever I am. (mostly Ohio, but this bike has been in 31 of the 48 contiguous states) This is just my experience, but I hope this may help some make a decision as to when to start inspecting and/or replacing, before a failure catches them.