PDA

View Full Version : Ridin' with one eye: a singular view of the world

Hillbilly Angel
30th July 2019, 10:17
Hi y'all {waves} never, ever underestimate the importance of depth perception and spacial placement when it comes to ridin', just two of quite a few things I took for granted up until I had the optic nerve in my right eye get burnt out in a work accident back in 2014 {chemical burn workin' for an unscrupulous son of a b#*ch, he cut the corners, I paid the price} could've been worse, nearly lost sight in both eyes but they managed to save the left, it's a whole new world out on the open road when y'all can't see what's comin' at ya from the right {just a point of clarification here, I'm from Australia so we ride on the left side of the road which for us is the right side to ride on :p }.. You end up relyin' a hell of a lot more on your hearing {good luck with that considerin' I run open pipes} and my neck muscles have gotten REAL flexible with havin' to scan 180 degrees with one eye rapidly {peripheral vision?? what's that??} and takin' into account that it takes the input from both eyes to work out the size & depth of potholes or for that matter are they even potholes or just patched bits on the highway, life on the open road with one eye made ridin' a hell of a lot more interestin' {and don't overlook the impact that havin' no depth perception plays at ya favourite waterin' hole, I can goddamn guarantee y'all will miss the bar 9 time out of 10 tryin' to set ya shot glass down} ..
On the plus side I do have to wear an eye patch which is a L'll piratey which is kinda cool but you try gettin' a bloody parrot to stay sittin' on ya shoulder at 80mph.. good luck with that s#*t :D
So I guess the moral of the story is take care of ya eyes guys, they can't be replaced, and losin' one f#@ks things up a lot but losin' two, well then ya screwed {and not in the warm wet squishy way}...

iNSaNeSHaNe
30th July 2019, 10:51
Welcome to the forum from the state of insanity .. :smoke

I can relate to riding with one eye.
I had chemical burn from charging an acid bath used for parts cleaning back before EPA. :frownthre
I had to wear an eye patch for 3 months and put some greasy crap on my eye a couple times a day.
Depth perception was basically non existent, and was harder to judge speed.
I didn't drive the car much at all during that time.
I was chicken, I would defiantly wrecked.
I could ride pretty good took a while to get used to it.
Luckily I got full vision back. within a year.:D

NLXL
30th July 2019, 11:29
How awful. I always wondered how people can cope with one eye in traffic. You never really realize that you can't miss much of your body...until it happens. But your view is indeed very important. I think it's great that you can still give it a humorous note. Thanks for the warning and ride safe!

Highly-Dangerous
30th July 2019, 11:59
G´day Sis,

:chtwo

Sure it must be a total different world.... good on ya for keeping up the good spirit!!!

rokytnji
30th July 2019, 13:54
Know what ya mean. Saving up for new eye surgery myself.

Diogenes415
30th July 2019, 14:08
I've tried riding with one eye closed to get a feel for what it's like to have partial sight and holy crap is it disconcerting. I'm sure I can learn to deal with it if I lost one eye but it's surely a dramatic game-changer.

Toejam503
30th July 2019, 15:32
Almost lost my right eye when I was 8 years old (1964). Started riding motorcycles in 1970. Still had peripheral vision in it until 2010. Got something in that eye from all the flooding we had that year and the doctors couldn't figure out what it was (9 cases in my area). I ended up with a cornea transplant in '11 and went blind in my right eye in '13. The first year of riding, one eye blind, was something else! I only had depth perception problems for about 2-3 weeks but it seemed like everything kept "sneakin'" up on my right side. Eventually, my brain adjusted to it and the only real change I've had to make is that I don't ride in big groups anymore with unfamiliar riders. I'm not an "always ridin' type of guy" but I have over 425K miles on my keester and don't intend to stop anytime, soon.

Skuzeee
30th July 2019, 17:48
I tend to use one eye when outside, since I can barely see out of my right eye. I guess cause I've done it all my life I'm used to it and I never think about it. Things tend to seem closer in 2D, so it actually makes me keep a larger distance from cars.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

sportsterpaul
31st July 2019, 05:42
Had the pleasure of a deer pinning the windshield to my face a couple years back, only missing about 30% vision from my left eye. Things were an adjustment that is working well for now. Empathy with your situation and grateful for all the vision I have left.

Glamazon
31st July 2019, 08:36
Welcome from Thornton UK

wedge
7th October 2019, 20:41
Hi y'all {waves} never, ever underestimate the importance of depth perception and spacial placement when it comes to ridin', just two of quite a few things I took for granted up until I had the optic nerve in my right eye get burnt out in a work accident back in 2014 {chemical burn workin' for an unscrupulous son of a b#*ch, he cut the corners, I paid the price} could've been worse, nearly lost sight in both eyes but they managed to save the left, it's a whole new world out on the open road when y'all can't see what's comin' at ya from the right {just a point of clarification here, I'm from Australia so we ride on the left side of the road which for us is the right side to ride on :p }.. You end up relyin' a hell of a lot more on your hearing {good luck with that considerin' I run open pipes} and my neck muscles have gotten REAL flexible with havin' to scan 180 degrees with one eye rapidly {peripheral vision?? what's that??} and takin' into account that it takes the input from both eyes to work out the size & depth of potholes or for that matter are they even potholes or just patched bits on the highway, life on the open road with one eye made ridin' a hell of a lot more interestin' {and don't overlook the impact that havin' no depth perception plays at ya favourite waterin' hole, I can goddamn guarantee y'all will miss the bar 9 time out of 10 tryin' to set ya shot glass down} ..
On the plus side I do have to wear an eye patch which is a L'll piratey which is kinda cool but you try gettin' a bloody parrot to stay sittin' on ya shoulder at 80mph.. good luck with that s#*t :D
So I guess the moral of the story is take care of ya eyes guys, they can't be replaced, and losin' one f#@ks things up a lot but losin' two, well then ya screwed {and not in the warm wet squishy way}...

You probably don't need the parrot, but I'm sure you could do something using a hologram of one. I like your attitude. That attitude, a bike and one eye can carry you for thousands of priceless miles.

bklyngeezer
19th March 2020, 21:41
Hello,

Just noticed this thread. Been riding so long (27 years) with one eye I take it for granted. I do twist my head around a lot and sometimes have trouble judging road damage

kitabel
19th March 2020, 22:31
My left eye is gone (stroke), and the lack of peripheral vision is scary. I hit my nose on my left window once a month. 15 years now, still not "used to it".
The loss of depth perception is only bad in the house at close range. More than 30 feet ahead, the light rays reaching the eyes from an object are so close to parallel (both eyes at the same angle) that it doesn't matter.