PDA

View Full Version : Riding with one leg, awesome.

phmann
3rd May 2008, 04:36
I was driving home tonight and pulled up behind a street bob. Looked over the bike, all seemed stock...saw he had a prosthetic lower left leg. I did a double take, and a big smile came over my face... "hell yeah," I said to myself. Then I looked to see if he had any modified controls. He didn't, just shifted with it. He drove smooth and steady. I say hell yeah, cuz it's great to see people not let shit keep them down and from doing what they want to.

ct_miller13
3rd May 2008, 04:50
Amen brother! All to often we hear people making excuses as to why they can't or won't do something, when they should find just one reason to do it.

SpartanDen
3rd May 2008, 19:56
I'm heading up to Cool City Choppers in Lyon, Michigan Saturday May 10 to witness the presentation of a custom motorcycle to a double amputee vet from Iraq. CNN did a piece on him a while back and the owner of CCC (a double amputee himself) stepped up and built this hero a bike. I'm kinda anxious to see this and to see the vet complete his dream....to ride a bike once more.
It's pretty much all attitude and the belief you can do what you want!

xena
3rd May 2008, 20:12
That is awesome phmann. Thanks for posting this.

xllent01
3rd May 2008, 20:15
That's kick ass :clap my uncles brother in law rides the same way........ has been for decades!!

ABNRanger
6th May 2008, 02:14
I have paralysis in one leg (right) and wear a brace up to my hip so that I can stand and walk. When I bought my Sporty, I had them slam it on the ground--Progressive lowering front and rear--so that I could support the bike with one good leg. It took some getting used to, but once I figured out how to really use the front brake to my advantage, I was off and running.

ABNRanger
6th May 2008, 02:17
I used to work and ride with a guy who was a quadriplegic who rigged up a landing gear on his Heritage that he could engage at low speed. Once he got up above 10 mph, he would just fold them up with an electric switch and down the road we would go. He rigged up the shifter like a jockey shifter. He also rigged up a rack on the bike so that he could sit on the seat of the bike, disassemble the wheelchair, and hang it on the back.

momo1326
6th May 2008, 02:20
[QUOTE=SpartanDen;1235838]I'm heading up to Cool City Choppers in Lyon, Michigan Saturday May 10 to witness the presentation of a custom motorcycle to a double amputee vet from Iraq. CNN did a piece on him a while back and the owner of CCC (a double amputee himself) stepped up and built this hero a bike. I'm kinda anxious to see this and to see the vet complete his dream....to ride a bike once more.
It's pretty much all attitude and the belief you can do what you want![/QUOTE

CAN YOU POST SOME PICS WHEN YA GET BACK? THANKS .

momo1326
6th May 2008, 02:22
I have paralysis in one leg (right) and wear a brace up to my hip so that I can stand and walk. When I bought my Sporty, I had them slam it on the ground--Progressive lowering front and rear--so that I could support the bike with one good leg. It took some getting used to, but once I figured out how to really use the front brake to my advantage, I was off and running.

YOU FU$%ING ROCK!!!!

gtrman
25th June 2008, 12:45
I have a friend I ride with from time to time that lost both legs just below the knees in Nam, has prosthetics for both. He rides a '51 Panhead, foot clutch, suicide shift and kick starts it.

:clap

Bob F
25th June 2008, 13:02
Bikers will find a way to ride. I'd go the 3 wheeled route because it would be easier.

I have a few buddies without any problems that have a million reasons why they keep their scoots parked. They look like bikers but they are only Harley owners. Sad.

shrtwhiteboy
25th June 2008, 13:06
I have a friend who used to ride until he lost a leg due to an infection. Unfortunately for him it's illegal for him to ride in PA without having both legs. He was told he needed a trike or a side car.

jettman96
24th July 2008, 01:44
My other passion is fishing... I've got a buddy who is paralyzed from the waist down. He is a professional catfisherman... he is qualified for the Bass Pro Shops Big Cat Quest championship tournament in October.

It just amazes me how maneuvers around the boat!!!

I know, I know it has nothing to with riding, but, people that overcome their "disabilities" are an inspiration for all.

milmat1
24th July 2008, 01:49
My other passion is fishing... I've got a buddy who is paralyzed from the waist down. He is a professional catfisherman... he is qualified for the Bass Pro Shops Big Cat Quest championship tournament in October.

It just amazes me how maneuvers around the boat!!!

I know, I know it has nothing to with riding, but, people that overcome their "disabilities" are an inspiration for all.

Hey I'm with ya Bro !!!

Love to Fish !! My grandson and me fish all the time. (he would live at the water if he could)
Have caught some nice Shovelheads this year !!

Scot883
12th September 2008, 05:54
I have a friend who used to ride until he lost a leg due to an infection. Unfortunately for him it's illegal for him to ride in PA without having both legs. He was told he needed a trike or a side car.

If my state (Minnesota) told me I had to ride a trike because of my prosthetic (left below the knee) I would ride one anyways and get a ticket for it on purpose just so I could take it to jury trial and ride my bike into the courtroom and do a burnout. I ride with my foot on a hiway peg and I swing it back to hit a mid control shifter for up / down

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/bigfoot.jpg

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/bigleftfootcontrol.jpg

hooptygoo
12th September 2008, 06:11
I know a guy appropriately nick named Hooks. He had both this hands blown of in a high tension power line accident. He rides a modified v-rod trike set up so he can operate the thing with his hooks.

Nothing is impossible.

goinsideways136
12th September 2008, 06:37
I was driving home tonight and pulled up behind a street bob. Looked over the bike, all seemed stock...saw he had a prosthetic lower left leg. I did a double take, and a big smile came over my face... "hell yeah," I said to myself. Then I looked to see if he had any modified controls. He didn't, just shifted with it. He drove smooth and steady. I say hell yeah, cuz it's great to see people not let shit keep them down and from doing what they want to.

another HELL YEA!!! that is the most rad thing ever!!

beuz
12th September 2008, 08:28
Here is my friend JR who's riding a motorcycle for 18 years with one leg...
French harley dealers wouldn't modify a sportster for him so he had to buy a VT750 Honda with a specific shifter.

http://i43.servimg.com/u/f43/11/73/78/28/db10.jpg

williamv1203
12th September 2008, 08:42
Here is my friend JR who's riding a motorcycle for 18 years with one leg...
French harley dealers wouldn't modify a sportster for him so he had to buy a VT750 Honda with a specific shifter.

http://i43.servimg.com/u/f43/11/73/78/28/db10.jpg

Does he know about or heard of N.A.B.'D.? The National Association for Bikers with a Disability?
They are U.K. based and have members, affiliates and sectors covering The E.U. and as far as Japan.

Have a look here:

http://www.nabd.org.uk

beuz
12th September 2008, 09:14
I'll ask him about him.
He doesn't speak english, not a word.
I'll help him to translate.
Thanks for the link...

screech69
12th September 2008, 10:53
Great stories guys, I went to safe rider course with a guy who has a prostetic right leg whos been riding for decades and has notone problem. The only concern he had was brakes so he uses a brake that deverts power from the hand brake to the rear brake as well, no need for the foot brake! RIDE ON!

steel
27th June 2009, 06:18
Hello
I wear a lower leg brace on both legs.I have to hook my foot over the shifter to shift.The only problem is lossing my shoe.Each summer I do about 7000 miles.
Gotta ride !!!!!!!!!!!!

Erik
27th June 2009, 07:59
Thanks for posting. Huge respect for those succeeding in achieving to keep on riding :clap.

rjg883c
28th June 2009, 05:35
There used to be somebody with only one arm that desert raced on a motorcycle back in the 1970's. Sometimes some people have to do things a little differently. But that doesn't mean they can't be done. It is sometimes amazing what we can do when life throws us a curveball.

I have lived, and been riding, for over 30 years without a right elbow. My right elbow was destroyed in a desert racing accident on 3/23/75.

Ron

Gone
28th June 2009, 06:00
My FIL rides a Road King with a fake leg, and there is another guy around these parts that lost both legs above the knees, and he rides an old Heritage with a sidecar. He has the clutch lever up on a tank shifter, and I'm not sure what he does about brakes.

williamv1203
29th June 2009, 10:11
Again, have a look at this site and the photo section;

http://www.nabd.org.uk

There are many people that still ride with severe disabilities and amputations.

kenward
5th July 2009, 12:54
As a Physical Therapist I work with a few amputee's and its awsome to see them do things they never thought were possible again. It is usually driving a car thats the big thing, but a bike... thats freakn cool.

lfvc77
15th July 2009, 18:28
I'd like to know if someone has seen a vespa style clutch lever-shifter combo for the left hand.

williamv1203
16th July 2009, 07:07
Something for any and every disability...

http://www.kliktronic.co.uk/

Dragan
5th August 2009, 18:57
Man, I have looked all over the web for a thread like this!

I'm a 3 year cancer survivor. I lost half of my jaw to the Beast, and they removed the entire fibula from my left leg to rebuild my face. This left me with a rigid ankle, unable to shift. Sold my bike and for a year almost went nuts...first time in 40 years I hadn't been able to ride.

A buddy of mine (lifelong H-D rider) told me to come over one day and check out his wife's new ride. She had a new Suzuki Burgman maxi scooter...no shifting needed. I rode it and was hooked; it gave me a solution to my problem.

Shortly after, I bought a Yamaha Majesty and rode the wheels off it. 20,000 km in a year, and I'm in Canada; we have a 4 month riding season. I toured on it, rode to work everyday,made several 1000 mile trips on it, and most importantly worked on flexing my ankle.

a month ago went into the local HD dealership, just to drool. They had an 883C that I liked the look of, sat on it and found with the forward controls that I could actually shift it!

That was at 2:00PM....I took delivery on the bike at 5:00PM that same day.

Today, It's pouring rain, and I still managed to get in a 150 km ride. Just turned over 4000km, and looking forward to the end of the month when I'm heading for the PCH to do a long overdue run from Astoria to Fort Bragg. Life is good....off the sporty, I get around with a cane. On the sporty no one knows unless they notice my handicapped plate.

Gone
5th August 2009, 19:43
My buddy Dave has 2 prosthetic legs (below the knee) and rides a super glide. No mods. He shifts by lifting at the knee instead of the ankle as would be customary. Braking is no sweat. For the most part you'd never notice he has "Lt Dan Magic Legs".

celtic
5th August 2009, 19:52
this thread ROCKS.

i LOVE hearing stuff like this.

i had a friend years ago that was in a chair. he didn't ride a bike, but he skiid and did a lot of other athletic stuff. he was in far better shape than i was and he was part of the reason i decided to get off my fat arse and GET ACTIVE.

it's an OLD cliche, but it's SO true:

If there's a will, there's a way.

People who find ways to overcome obstacles always give me inspiration and help me realize how we as people can accomplish more than we ever thought we could.

AWESOME

lfvc77
5th August 2009, 20:58
Dragan: your story is another proof that when you're are a rider nothing can keep you away from it.

lfvc77
11th October 2009, 17:22
welcome to the forum konel1, some pics of you and your bikes would be awsome

AsSeenOnTV
11th October 2009, 17:23
Any time I go riding with others I am always riding with a disability, cuz they are all men!:D

rottenralph
11th October 2009, 17:44
There is aguy here that works at a prosthetics place in Memphis that drives a v8 based Boss Hoss. That is a big heavy bike with an automatic tranny I think. Air shifters would be a nice option on a bike. I am glad people are out there changing paradigms for those with disabilities.

konel1
12th October 2009, 18:54
Thanks for the welcome lfvc77.I tried to load some pics but when I do so I get a message that the file is too big.I'm kinda new to this and not 100% sure of what I am doing or how to do it.

lfvc77
14th October 2009, 16:34
Thanks for the welcome lfvc77.I tried to load some pics but when I do so I get a message that the file is too big.I'm kinda new to this and not 100% sure of what I am doing or how to do it.

This is what you have to do, go to www.photobucket.com and open an account, then upload your pictures there, then copy the URL of the picture and paste it to your reply between these: PASTE URL HERE

I hope this helps.

lfvc77
14th October 2009, 16:39
There is aguy here that works at a prosthetics place in Memphis that drives a v8 based Boss Hoss. That is a big heavy bike with an automatic tranny I think. .

The Boss Hoss has no tranny, with that much torque there's no need for one.

konel1
14th October 2009, 21:00
I'm not sure if this is going to work but here's the link for my bike pics.
http://s605.photobucket.com/albums/tt138/konel1/?albumview=slideshow

lfvc77
14th October 2009, 21:31
I'm not sure if this is going to work but here's the link for my bike pics.
http://s605.photobucket.com/albums/tt138/konel1/?albumview=slideshow

It works, now you can put them right here:

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt138/konel1/PICT0009.jpg

petboy
5th November 2009, 08:13
the shop where i bought my bike have just finished modifying a thunder mountain trike for a paraplegic customer. clutch is normal - gearshift is either hydralic or electric with buttons next to the clutch lever. reverse is an electric motor with its switch on the rhs of the handlebars. Both brakes rigged to the front lever. special floorboards to which he can strap his feet. The luggage rack on the back has been modded to hold the wheelchair didassembled. All in all I was quite impressed when i saw it. Think it was delivered last night.

micky2shoes
3rd January 2011, 12:32
yep - me too.
i also have a prosthetic lower left leg, and ride a sporty... the only modification is to rotate the shifter a spline clockwise (as you face it). gearchanging is done at the hip and not the ankle, if you see what i mean.

ridden bikes since i was 16 (er... that'd be 1983 then....sh*t), had a series of battles back then with the DVLA (DMV to my colonial chums) and the dog sucking ferksticks that run insurance companies about driving a car with a stickshift, and a motorcycle - guess what, i won those battles.... although i drive an automatic now (a jaguar) i do it coz i'm lazy... :D
i run, dance, surf, drag race, climb, and make the most beautiful of love ... the only thing i can't do is play golf. Nothng to do with the leg, just because i can't do polo shirts....

Graywolf
8th January 2011, 01:41
http://www.tanwater.com/pics/moseleybnefitrun.jpg
Left leg off at the knee. Can no longer wear prosthetic leg.
Frankenstein trike kit and homemade shift cross over to right side.
Picture is taking off on a benefit dice run for friend that has lung cancer.
There are worse things than not having a leg.

2002_hugger883
17th February 2011, 15:38
Really glad to see that others still ride after lossing a leg. I really thought that my riding days were over after my accident.

ghostlycadillac
17th February 2011, 16:19
Lost my right leg below the knee about seven years ago. Stepped onto a Sportster for the first time two years ago and spend as much time on it as I can. I haven't made any modifications to mine. At least none to acommodate my leg that is... ;)

Flyingdutchman
15th March 2011, 03:46
I wish I could be half as bad ass as this guy.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc153/masterofgeeks887/_5220410.jpg

lfvc77
9th September 2011, 18:30
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nUiPnb9Loos/Tmh0tAhR1kI/AAAAAAAAuXA/Rc-BheNKkig/s1600/img_4007.jpg

Crippler
18th June 2012, 05:39
Lots of good stuff here. I have both legs, lol, although my left one is pretty shitty. no flex in the ankle, vascular deformation, walk with a terrible limp. blah blah. i'll tell you though, i sure as hell dont limp when i'm on my bikes. probably why i love it so much. can't run a mile, but i can ride circles around most bikers i know. feel real at home on the saddle. takes a little more oomph to shift, gotta kick up my leg a little, but its alright. might weld up a heel-toe shifter some day to make it easier...(been riding without one for ten years haha)

this thread reminds me of one of my favorite killboy pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/CripplerMaximus/img_6433.jpg

Hayabusa with a sidecar, wheelchair on back, legs strapped in, and a car tire up front. bet it still hauls ass!

Gone
26th August 2012, 18:31
While I am not missing a leg. Both of mine are heavily modified. Was born with a severe case of Spina-Bifida both legs have severe muscle atrophy below the knee so strength to hold up the bike is a issue. installed crash bar ring on the bike to prevent slow speed or dumps at rest and catching legs under bike.

The slammed iron 883 stance was great and the addition of a lowlowlow LePera solo seat made it even better.

Now both feet are fused no joints and right foot is cocked out to the right so unable to use back brake effectively so taught myself to use only front brake and have had no issues since 2005 when I started riding street. Not much vertical movement or strength in feet either so can't shift bike normal and forward controls are not possible on my 5'7" frame. So opted for mini floor boards and needed a heal/toe shift solution. Now H-D does not sell a heal/toe shifter for the Sporty. Why? I'll never be able to understand that. So with a torch a welder and some head scratching I was able to come up with a genius idea that fits into the old school look of "Sally". A double closed face wrench was heated an molested into a sleek simple heal/toe pivot on the stock shift lever.

I luv ole "Sally" and she is a real attention getter & now that she's been converted to a 1250cc monster all the rest of the big H-D twins can get a good look at her as I blow past them :banana

Steve
2010 iron 883
1250cc heads
Thundermax ECU
SE Air Cleaner
slip-on baffles on stock head pipes

http://www.c3-tech.net/cool-shat/sally/paint1.jpg

http://www.c3-tech.net/cool-shat/sally/paint2.jpg

http://www.c3-tech.net/cool-shat/sally/lsr.jpg

http://www.c3-tech.net/cool-shat/sally/shift.jpg

Graywolf
29th July 2013, 06:09
http://www.tanwater.com/pics/pip2012%20021.jpg

BobWLR
1st August 2013, 10:21
Graywolf, Your bike looks great with that Springer on it! They are perfect for trikes. Frankenstein still has the older picture of your bike with the stock front end on it. Did you make it to their Party couple months agao?

Graywolf
1st August 2013, 12:28
Graywolf, Your bike looks great with that Springer on it! They are perfect for trikes. Frankenstein still has the older picture of your bike with the stock front end on it. Did you make it to their Party couple months agao?

Didn't know they had a party, but couldn't have made it anyway. Had some problems with kidney stones for a while. Think I am back to as normal as I get now. Plan to get over to Mexico Beach for Party in the Panhandle in October. No more far away plans on the schedule this year. Been making most of the local benefit rides.

I have put a lot of miles on that Frankenstein rear end. Never had any problem out of it. They are built like a rock. If anything ever happened to the old Sportster I would build up another Frankenstein trike without any second thoughts. Ford truck axle on a Harley is bullet proof.

BobWLR
4th August 2013, 13:38
Ya, that Ford S/S axle & Dana30 differential sold me on it! Plus I have a lot of wheels with that same bolt pattern. In fact, with 16" Mustang wheels it is narrow enough to fit thru a 48" door.
Party was Memorial Weekend. Didn't make it either due to health issues but heard it was a sucess.
EFM Auto-Clutch should get here this week so getting jazzed about riding again.

rejeanprimeau
4th August 2013, 14:42
Here is Martin Deschamps, he was born without a leg and his two arm not fully form. He play all kind of musical instrument. He's a real rocker and play his tunes at numerous bikers gatherings. An indy shop adapted a harley trike so he his able to ride it. He also tour readaptation centers to show nothing is impossible.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/rejeanprimeau/53b759c0-ccb9-4988-b4d8-bb764e155f6a_zps7a97a8a8.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/rejeanprimeau/media/53b759c0-ccb9-4988-b4d8-bb764e155f6a_zps7a97a8a8.jpg.html)

hooks2u
15th August 2013, 20:15
If there is a will there is a way, I've been riding for 20 years with 2 prosthetic arms
http://m369.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/hooks2u45/triumph015.jpg.html?pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2 YskMGURndMTwNTYHjfEN3qGUMJortr84irFfk8Qm6UesD1s%2F ZiSIVtvfpdvOEX0hzUUeo%2BTwsOqbd6lqQoGmMdfk7MwaDpKB i82X8unbSAAU5WTwwl%2FY%2FNC7QETwYb3iJZnugjrUVucxLW iZ6gxMr0%3D
http://m369.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/hooks2u45/mate.jpg.html?pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2YskMGU RndMTwNTYHjfEN3qGUMJortr84irFfk8Qm6UesD1s%2FZiSIVt vfpdvOEX0hzUUeo%2BTwsOqbd6lqQoGmMdfk7MwaDpKBi82X8u nbSAAU5WTwwl%2FY%2FNC7QETwYb3iJZnugjrUVucxLWiZ6gxM r0%3D
http://mobth369.photobucket.com/albums/oo140/hooks2u45/th_68triumphbuild137.jpg
http://mobth369.photobucket.com/albums/oo140/hooks2u45/th_68triumphbuild084.jpg

hooks2u
15th August 2013, 20:17
sorry about the tiny pics I don't know how to make them bigger

bgodowski
21st August 2013, 18:00
Hey all! I wondered if there's room for another in here. Here's my scooter, I converted to trike and did all the rest myself. I ride with a modified jockey shift and a flatbed to carry my chair. I also slammed it so I could sit and grab the wheelchair. It also makes getting on and off easier and safer.http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y514/bgodowski/IMG_20130718_111541_799.jpg
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y514/bgodowski/IMG_20130718_111502_155.jpg
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y514/bgodowski/IMG_20130717_161039_660.jpg

Graywolf
22nd August 2013, 02:03
Hey all! I wondered if there's room for another in here. Here's my scooter, I converted to trike and did all the rest myself. I ride with a modified jockey shift and a flatbed to carry my chair. I also slammed it so I could sit and grab the wheelchair. It also makes getting on and off easier and safer

I see you made it down here. Plenty of room! Welcome!

GW