PDA

View Full Version : Filter options

Frebirdchoppers
10th February 2006, 15:47
I heard some talk of filter options. That fram and other afermarket filter makers make a filter that will fit a sporty that are twice as long. Any truth in that I have a '94.

Shu
10th February 2006, 16:06
I ran the Fram unit on mine this last time. Bought it at WalMart. Used it cause the dealer was closed. Not impressed with Fram and will not use it again. Not because I had a problem with this one on my Sporty, but Fram in general does not have good filters (IMO).

PS, the one in the attached pic is the FRAM one

woody95
10th February 2006, 16:48
Harley sells a real long filter for the Sportster also. I like it and its easier to get off at oil change time. Plus a little more oil in the system.
Bob

AZbiker
10th March 2006, 10:08
I run an FL1A equivalent on my bike. 40,000 miles now, no problems. I use the Super Tech from Wally World. It's a big sumbitch.

TonyS
12th March 2006, 16:50
Harley sells a real long filter for the Sportster also. I like it and its easier to get off at oil change time. Plus a little more oil in the system.
Bob

yes it is oil filter number 63813-90 Spin-On, Extra Long

Fits ’91-’98 Dyna models. Chrome

The dyna filter fits sportsters

opiewontaylor
13th March 2006, 02:22
Fram got a bad rep because years ago they made the mistake of outsourcing some of their filter production to some 3rd world sweatshop, and they got what they paid for. A bad batch of filters. One supposedly blew up and killed a guy during a pro race. That could be internet urban legend, or not. Anyway, Fram has since cleaned up their act. Their motorsport line of filters is made in the USA, and seem to be decent quality. Their high end line of race filters are comparable to anything else out there. Having said all that, they wouldn't be my first choice, since I really like K&N, but if Fram was more convenient to buy, I wouldn't hesitate to use one.

Ronn39
20th March 2006, 02:05
Eastern Performance has been running a deal for Chrome filters for the Sportster (and others that use the same size) made by Custom Chrome (CCI #25-250), 4 for $20. It's been claimed they're better than those sold at HD. I think that outfit has them on eBay as well as their own site.

seagullplayer
31st March 2006, 18:14
I run an FL1A equivalent on my bike. 40,000 miles now, no problems. I use the Super Tech from Wally World. It's a big sumbitch.

I was thinking about the same thing. I always have an FL1A around for my truck anyway. According to this crossover sheet, it should fit. Any filter that would be bigger should help to cool the oil.

http://www.sportster.org/tech/oil_filter_cross_reference.html

cadiero
31st March 2006, 19:02
I've cut Fram filters apart! That's enough to make you wonder how they can sleep at night selling that crap. I won't use anything but WIX.

Does anyone know if WIX makes a long filter?

Steve3888
20th April 2006, 08:36
Is that FL1A just a standard automotive fram filter, IE. Orange?

cphilip
20th April 2006, 14:09
I was pokin around K&N's site last night and noticed they have a couple applications for the 04 and up (not that its any different cause I didn't take the time to cross reference it or look it up to see if its the same part number for 03 and backs) but they show two part numbers when you dial in 04 and without any further research I would assume that one might be chrome or something. I have used thier filters before on trucks and found them decent. Pricey I think they were, can't recall right off hand. Cannot recomend them because I have not used them but know they generaly are well made. Not certain they are cost effective though.

Bill2
20th April 2006, 14:51
Those super tech from wal-mart are good filters for the price, about $2.00. Some are a little over $2.00 There well made for the money and they rated at 99 percent on the first pass and i think 98 percent on multi pass. I used them on a v-4 honda and even had a couple of oil samples sent off to be checked and had good results with them. Next time your in wal-mart pick up one and read the the ratings on first pass cleaning and multi pass filtering and compare it to other filters that cost 3 times as much. I know it does'nt happen much in this world but sometimes you can get a better product and better workmanship for less money.

ken01976
20th April 2006, 15:48
wix 51215 I believe

seagullplayer
21st April 2006, 17:18
I have had a fram 3600 from walmart and 20W50 Castrol for a little over 1000 miles now, everything looks good. Last year I averaged an oil change about every month or so (May-October). I average about 400 miles a week commuting to work. Bike should turn 30K before May.

I like the longer filter size, will be alot easier to reach, and holds a little more, should run cooler in the long run. The orange color is a plus...

wrongpaw
23rd April 2006, 19:11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker

Those super tech from wal-mart are good filters for the price, about $2.00. Some are a little over $2.00 There well made for the money and they rated at 99 percent on the first pass and i think 98 percent on multi pass. I used them on a v-4 honda and even had a couple of oil samples sent off to be checked and had good results with them. Next time your in wal-mart pick up one and read the the ratings on first pass cleaning and multi pass filtering and compare it to other filters that cost 3 times as much. I know it does'nt happen much in this world but sometimes you can get a better product and better workmanship for less money.

Azbiker & Bill2,
I picked up a couple of those FL1A Supertech filters and am gonna give
them a try. I like the idea of spinning on a oil filter/cooler because of its
physical size and added capacity for 2 Bucks...

mazeppa
30th April 2006, 00:08
I've cut Fram filters apart! That's enough to make you wonder how they can sleep at night selling that crap. I won't use anything but WIX.

Does anyone know if WIX makes a long filter?

As stated before Wix 51214, or NAPA 1214 (same as the WIX)

XL Custom 1200
30th April 2006, 05:00
Does the same filter apply for 883 and 1200

Shu
30th April 2006, 22:05
Does the same filter apply for 883 and 1200

It sure does

BWP 5p
1st May 2006, 01:43
Those super tech from wal-mart are good filters for the price, about $2.00........... and compare it to other filters that cost 3 times as much. I know it does'nt happen much in this world but sometimes you can get a better product and better workmanship for less money.

I believe the Supertech is made by Champion. I have run them on my 03 Vette several times with no apparent issues. They are rated pretty high as Bill said!:)