PDA

View Full Version : oil analysis

kmm0000
4th April 2006, 23:38
Has anyone done an oil analysis on their Sportster. I just had one done at 16,000 and the lead level was very high. Anyone have results to compare?

sportymark
5th April 2006, 06:34
High lead levels in the oil would indicate some unburnt fuel possibly?

Don't think any lead is used in the engine itself, any bearing failure etc would show up as bronze or phosphor?

Takingabreak
5th April 2006, 06:46
High lead levels in the oil would indicate some unburnt fuel possibly?

Don't think any lead is used in the engine itself, any bearing failure etc would show up as bronze or phosphor?

Lead has ben out of gas for decades(Even the last leaded fuel was only at 10% of the original amount) Lead could be from the Babbitt material used in bearings.
My guess would be from the Cam Bearings.
So.....how much is too much?

kmm0000
6th April 2006, 00:59
My lead level was 28 ppm, typical would be about 4, accoding to the tech from the analysis company. He said it is due to either bearing failure or a partical streak through a bearing. The bike runs fine, so I won't know anthing until the next oil change and analysis.

SportsterBart
6th April 2006, 01:12
How much do they charge for this service?

What method is used for analyzing? Gas/Chroma? Other?

I've seen "Oil Blood Tests" advertised before in various speed magazines, and always came away with the impression that they weren't very credible.

My Skepticalium level is currently at 999999 ppm regarding this technology ;)

Bart

kmm0000
6th April 2006, 02:03
$20.00

blackstone-labs.com

They do four tests

Spectral exam
Insolubles test
Viscosity test
Flash Point test

carl2124
6th April 2006, 02:35
In my line a work we take oil samples on centrifugal chillers....that is a large tonnage cooling machine .... we are able to compare the results with the set standards from the factory who makes the chiller....and we can know what is going on inside our machine.... a centrifugal chiller is a high PRM impeller that compresses refrigerent vapor to higher pressures for condensing.
So ...even if I took an oil sample to have it analyze,I dont see how that it will do me any good unless I have some known guildlines to compare it to so I can determine what is happening to my motor...just my thoughts