PDA

View Full Version : New Harley owner, oil question

hillclimber
28th April 2006, 03:25
What do you recomend in the midwest for oil, oil filter, and trans fluid.
Hour away fram a Harley dealer.

Takingabreak
28th April 2006, 03:45
Hi.

Oil, Valvoline 20/50 4 cycle Motorcycle oil.
Filter, Wix or Fram.
Trans oil? Sporttrans or Formula + from Harley.

A Chicago Harley dealer sells on line at a Discount, so do many others. You want to use the Harley trans oil because it will keep your warranty in tacked.

gilx
28th April 2006, 04:37
What do you recomend in the midwest for oil, oil filter, and trans fluid.
Hour away fram a Harley dealer.

I switched from the Harley synthetic to Amsoil 20/50 MC oil for both engine and transmission and have been very pleased. I will know about mid August if it is running significantly cooler, but the clutch and shifting improved immediately. I use the HD filter but will shortly be ordering the NRHS reusable: NRHS Oil Filter (http://www.nrhsperformance.com/partslubrication.shtml#Filtermag)

OldFenderGuy
28th April 2006, 04:43
I'm also using the Amsoil 20W-50 MCV in both the engine and primary/tranny, with excellent results.

Been using the HD chrome 63798-99A filters, but I might also use some of the slightly longer 63813-90T. I have quite a few of these sitting around as they are also used in my WideGlide.

Moved On / My Own Choice
28th April 2006, 12:52
At least for the oil filter, mail order a half-dozen, you'll use em.

I get all my Moto Guzzi parts from a place in Houston, but I live in PA!

No big deal

K

thunderpaw
28th April 2006, 14:52
At least for the oil filter, mail order a half-dozen, you'll use em.
I get all my Moto Guzzi parts from a place in Houston, but I live in PA!
No big deal
K

As I have historically (hysterically?) gravitated towards 'oddball' bikes for all of my riding years, mail order is a time honored tradition here. No hassle dealing with one of the 'discounting' HD dealers on the 'net, IMO.

Kim

sportysrock
29th April 2006, 00:09
Check out my post, it is #3 in this thread
The Milky Oil Thread (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&threadid=27234)

It has lots of information concerning oil performance. The best performer is AMSOIL, they wouldn't publish it if it wasn't true.

AND SORRY TO DISAGREE WITH JEFFYTUNE, but I beg to differ with your statement, "You want to use the Harley trans oil because it will keep your warranty in tacked." Sorry but that's a load of bull.

As Kev M stated in one of his posts, "In the united states the federal Magnuson/Moss act covers your rights as a consumer with regards to warranties. No company can require you to return to them for service, they can only outline what service steps must be followed (and when).

Kev"

The Magnuson/Moss act also states if a manufacturer requires a certain fluid to be used to maintain warranty status, then they must supply it free. Otherwise it is extortion. Buy AMSOIL, they guarantee your machinery will not fail due to their fluids being used. They also sell filters, fork oil, and other great stuff.

davidsdad
29th April 2006, 00:45
I use Amsoil 20/50 in my bike as well. I noticed a big difference in oil temps last year when I began using it.....

Gone
29th April 2006, 07:14
In the Arizona desert, on a ironhead

50 wt..

In the summer, Kendall 70 wt...

Takingabreak
29th April 2006, 07:41
AND SORRY TO DISAGREE WITH JEFFYTUNE, but I beg to differ with your statement, "You want to use the Harley trans oil because it will keep your warranty in tacked." Sorry but that's a load of bull.

As Kev M stated in one of his posts, "In the united states the federal Magnuson/Moss act covers your rights as a consumer with regards to warranties. No company can require you to return to them for service, they can only outline what service steps must be followed (and when).

Kev"

The Magnuson/Moss act also states if a manufacturer requires a certain fluid to be used to maintain warranty status, then they must supply it free. Otherwise it is extortion. Buy AMSOIL, they guarantee your machinery will not fail due to their fluids being used. They also sell filters, fork oil, and other great stuff.[/QUOTE]

Not true.
This act covers requirements for warranty for filters and brand name parts.
Like if Harley were to require the use of a Harley filter only, then you are correct, they would have to supply the filter for free, BUT, if you use a oil they does not meet the manufactures specifications, they can and will void your warranty.
I said nothing about taking it to Harley service only, as long as it gets done, that is all the counts here, if you do it yourself, you need to keep your resets strait to prove you did it on time.

Now, If Amsoil makes a trans oil that Meets Harley specs, then you are fine, BUT does it meet the specs?
Does it have the same Weight?
Does it have the same flow rate?
Does it have the same additive package?
And IF Harley says it doesn't meet the specs, and finds it to be the root cause of the failure, will Amsoil buy you a new transmission?
I have no Idea, but it is one more thing you have to prove and go through. The first thing Harley(Like all the car manufacturers do) is to send in a Oil sample, you have the wrong spect stuff, you can find yourself all alone.

For 5.95 a quart, I will stay with the Harley stuff, I know it meets the specs.

But Hey, it's YOUR bike, run whatever the heck you like.