PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Trailer?

Henry89
29th April 2006, 15:19
I need to get a trailer to haul my wife's and I's bikes. I've been thinking of just getting a single axle 7x12 utility trailer with a drop down ramp. Yesterday I came across a deal on a Haulmark low hauler 7x12 trailer with tandem axles for $3000. The trailer is 3yrs. old but in great condition. Does this sound like a good price/deal? Also, do you need to have tandem axles for a motorcycle trailer? What about enclosed or open? Thanks!

snowman
29th April 2006, 15:25
Really depends on what the primary purpose is for haulin'.... If it's just local, I'd get an open bed, easier to load / unload, tie-down, etc.

Neighbor and I used an enclosed to haul out of state last year and that was really sweet. Dual axles really make it more stable.... :banana :banana :banana

itsshemp
29th April 2006, 15:33
Personally if only going to be used for 2 bikes, I would look for a single axle trailer, about the 7x12 size. A tandem axle is overkill for just 2 bikes, and are quit heavier.

Here in Cali, you can get a 7x12 single axle for about 700.00, new.

Enclosed are cool, if you want to keep things out of the elements, and use for personal cover, in bad weather, but it depends if you really need that, or care. Enclosed adds quit a bit of weight also, so if weight is an issue...........

Just my $.02 anyways.

TallLew
29th April 2006, 15:40
I agree with Snowman. Depends on how much and where to you plan on using it. The double axle is very nice if plan on a lot of use; especially on the highway. Unless it's just to the dealer and back for the occassional repair or to a local bike show; I'd prefer enclosed. Primarily for security and weather protection; but if it's only local and you're not getting on the the highways probably wouldn't be necessary. Personally preference. As far as the price...probably in the right ballpark depending on condition/options. A brand new 6x12 enclosed United Express trailer is from 2600-3000. Again, quality and condition may dictate the price.

Henry89
29th April 2006, 16:41
Thanks for the input thus far. As far as the use of the trailer in hauling the bikes, I know that atleast twice a year we would use it for trips that are 6hrs or more in travelling on the highway. In the past I've just barrowed a 6x10 open utility trailer from a guy I work with. With only knowing I would use the trailer twice a year for sure, I don't think I can justify spending 3k for enclosed trailer right now. It's a tuff call since I know the person that has the Haulmark trailer for sale and I know he keeps his stuff in tip-top shape. The trailer looks like this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4634910229&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1).

skratch
29th April 2006, 17:23
if i lived closer, i would buy it :) i have a 6x10 enclosed that i bought from lowes for 2k. i don't haul my bikes around a lot, but i do use if for a garage since i don't have one. looks like this: http://home.earthlink.net/~skratches/trailer.jpg

Henry89
30th April 2006, 07:00
skratch...where do you live? Maybe we can make something happen!

skratch
30th April 2006, 07:10
pretty far away, louisiana

Vegas1200C
30th April 2006, 08:11
I've been looking at the Haul-Master stuff at harbor freight lately. It is pretty cheap (between $250 and $400 depending on max weight) and you can build your own surface to meet your needs.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=6464

gusotto
30th April 2006, 09:44
I was lucky and got an R&R brand 5X10 enclosed trailer off eBay. Single axle and already set-up for hauling a bike, ramp, Pingel wheel holder, tie-downs, etc. www.rnrtrailers.com It was like new as the guy had to keep it in his garage because of housing codes where he lived. Nice thing is the weight is 750 lbs. empty, which is 1,000 lbs. lighter than the same size steel trailer but still has 3,000 lbs. capacity. Aluminum construction, you don't even know it's behind you. They also make them larger for more than one bike.

eBay is a good place to check, you never know what you'll find.

Greywolf
30th April 2006, 16:07
I talked to a couple of guys who had trailers that stand on their ends when storing them, I think they are made by Kendal or Kendall, they have em in single or dual bike but they are not enclosed. The guys say it's easy to get the bike on, stable platform and handle well on the road.

skratch
30th April 2006, 16:49
that would be kendon. heres a link to their website:http://www.kendonusa.com/
i don't know what kind of savings you can expect from their 'scratch and dent' sale, but normally they are very pricey. my bil has one, and loves it.

Greywolf
30th April 2006, 16:57
that would be kendon. heres a link to their website:http://www.kendonusa.com/
i don't know what kind of savings you can expect from their 'scratch and dent' sale, but normally they are very pricey. my bil has one, and loves it.
Thanks for the correction, those guys really liked the trailers, they treked them to Florida from Michigan and Ohio.