PDA

View Full Version : Damn oil filter

osgoor
29th April 2006, 23:07
I am trying to get the oil filter off my 04 1200R. This thing will not budge. Does anyone have any tricks or tips?

Shu
29th April 2006, 23:15
I use an "over the end cap" filter wrench on mine.

If that won't budge it, get one of those "strap wrenches" or use the old long screwdriver poking a hole all the way through the filter side to side and break it loose.

tstoeckel
30th April 2006, 02:02
I use an "over the end cap" filter wrench as well. I found one at a Pep Boys for cheap (I took a filter along with me to be sure it fit).

osgoor
30th April 2006, 03:18
Thanks guys. I did both. I poked a hole through the filter and it would not budge. The end cap wrench won't move it either. I have a strap wrench plus a pliers type wrench I will try tomorrow.

skratch
30th April 2006, 03:26
if neither of those worked, then i would look at whoever put the filter on last time. if it was you, then don't tighten it down so much next time :)
you could also try the 2 person method-one person putting pressure on the screwdriver, while the other uses the end cap, thats gotta get it. oh, and remember, lefty loosy, righty tighty...

GSB_77_XL
30th April 2006, 03:31
I know this sounds stupid but are you turning it the right way? If so have a buddy operate the rachet with the cap wrench on the filter while you are twisting the screwdriver that is jammed throuhg the filter. If this dont do it.......... I think you are prolly screwed

GSB_77_XL
30th April 2006, 03:32
Damn scratch beat me to it. Thats what I get for going to the kitchen in the middle of typing a response.

skratch
30th April 2006, 07:24
lol, its either 'great minds think alike' or 'simple minds seldom differ' not sure which one ;)

osgoor
30th April 2006, 16:12
I have actually used tin snips and cut the whole filter off down to the base. It looks like it was cross-threaded. I have tried everything I can think of to get it to move but no luck so far. I may have to "very carefully" cut the filter ring where it screws on and hope like hell I don't cut the mounting threads. I am open to any other suggestions.

GSB_77_XL
30th April 2006, 16:17
I have actually used tin snips and cut the whole filter off down to the base. It looks like it was cross-threaded. I have tried everything I can think of to get it to move but no luck so far. I may have to "very carefully" cut the filter ring where it screws on and hope like hell I don't cut the mounting threads. I am open to any other suggestions.

OOH prolly shouldnt have done that. Go to Sears and look for a chain wrench. It is a pair of vice grips with a leingth of chain attatched to it. you fasten the loose end of the chain to the bottom "jaw" of the wrench and when you squeeze the handles together it puts a large ammount of pressure on whatever is in between the chain. That is worth a shot before you start cutting and possibly damaging the threads.

XLFREAK
30th April 2006, 16:23
not sue on HD but many enigines have the oil fiter thread tube screwed into engine. if it is already damaged you may be able to vise grip the whole thing out and get a new tube to screw in. gonna have to check maual for how its put together.brb

edit: just remembered, manual is at work. hopefully someone with a shop manual can help

davidsdad
30th April 2006, 19:59
I use really large channel locks to remove my filter

osgoor
30th April 2006, 20:38
Well it's finally off and the new one is on (hand-tight). I had to use a dremmel tool and a jig saw blade to surgically cut the old filter off. No damage to anything else and after filling the bike with new oil it came up, oil pressure up and a big sigh of relief. I did see some small dab of something on the housing surface where it contacts the filter. Cleaned that off before installing the new filter.

Thanks for all the input....

:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

stein
30th April 2006, 21:23
Or do as i did?:banadevi :banadevi :banadevi
Get the hurricane filter from NHRS, with a tool for removing the filter in the kit:D

GSB_77_XL
30th April 2006, 21:54
Glad to see you got it under control. So what was the problem? Was it too tight or cross threaded?

osgoor
1st May 2006, 04:40
GSB_77_XL

Best I could tell it was cross-threaded and had some kinda of glue or something around the edge.