PDA

View Full Version : Slow motion events

cphilip
2nd May 2006, 15:08
Why is it?

When you pull your bike out this morning and set it on its stand and start it to warm it up and go about closing the shop doors and then, I don't what, but something makes you look back and low and behold time slows down to slow motion as you watch in horror as you bike slowly lays over on its side!

You can do nothing. You can only watch. Seems like it take an hour but you can't even move. You know immediately it didn't rest very hard on the stand and you know immediately you screwed up. But you can't do anything about it now. All you can do is stress over it. And try and think what to do next. Why is it that in these moments you cannot breath and cannot react? Why is it that it happens in slow motion? Just to make the agony last longer?

Bent my brake lever. Some little scratches on the rear SE II pipe. A little split in the end of throttle side grip. Nothing major but need to replace the Brake lever. Probably going to eventualy have some rust in those scratches.

That brake lever looks like all it is hooked to is the pivot pin. And that the brake is actuated by the protrusion of the lever onto a pin into the brake reservour. And its not connected to anything any other way is it?

Ah me... now on to trying to find a brake lever.... Dam...

Had to go wake up the kid to come help me bring it back up so as not to have it slide or anything to make matters worse. Let it set upright for five minutes to let the oil settle back down. Started right up and drove fine. It did indeed go over very slow. I guess it settled onto the rear pipe first. Then that slowed it down and it slowly went on over. But with enough force to bend the brake lever. Which hit last from what I can tell. Certainly did not look like enough force to bend it. But they soft I guess. Pot metal inside I think.

Moved On / My Own Choice
2nd May 2006, 15:11
Yet another reason not to let it warm up excessively.

I stopped letting my bike run AT ALL if I'm not standing next to her or astride her when my Guzzi decided to start rolling back down the driveway (still on the sidestand) while I was OPENING the garage doors.

That sucked too.

I can still see the "slow motion video" in my head.

Kev

xl1200r
2nd May 2006, 15:18
Man, it fell on the right side? Not to bust your balls, but how did you manage that!?

I've come to find that these bikes tent to hold up very well to being dropped. GLad you don't have any major surgery on your hadns with this one.

I cn't help you with the brake lever - I've never been in there.

gymrat523
2nd May 2006, 15:28
sorry it would bum me out big time, I only warm mine up 20 sec while i'm sitting on it, pop the enricher back in 1/2 mile down the road and just ride easy a couple of miles, i'm to chicken to get off and leave it running.

cphilip
2nd May 2006, 15:28
Man, it fell on the right side? Not to bust your balls, but how did you manage that!?

I've come to find that these bikes tent to hold up very well to being dropped. GLad you don't have any major surgery on your hadns with this one.

I cn't help you with the brake lever - I've never been in there.

Yep. And I bustin my own balls over it.

The place I back it out of the shop slopes down and back. Down a ramp and then down slight hill. Today when I rolled it out, which is aided by that slope and ramp so its mostly just controlling it with the brake and walking it back, it rolled back to a spot a foot or so further back than I ever have before. And it just ends up that the bike is almost straight up and down I guess. Apparently not enough weight on the left side to the stand. Although there was some weight there. But not enough for the vibration to overcome I guess.

From now on I am going to warm it up in the shop on level surface and not even get on till I am ready to ride. And I will ride it up the little hill to a level spot and park it there while I go back and close the shop door.

But yea... it was a brain fart. :frownone

cphilip
2nd May 2006, 15:30
sorry it would bum me out big time, I only warm mine up 20 sec while i'm sitting on it, pop the enricher back in 1/2 mile down the road and just ride easy a couple of miles, i'm to chicken to get off and leave it running.

I just warm it up as long as it takes me to get back and close the door. Then I return to it and straddle it and put my gloves on. And go. I roll it back out not under power. And start it and go back and close the door. I was closing the door when I was some way some how notified to look back and see it slowly sinking to the side. All happened within a couple minutes.

I have had the other lever off (clutch side) so I know how to do that one. Just never looked at the Brake side before. Maybe this is the time to upgrade to some Chrome or blades or something? Might as well... If anyone can shed some light on that brake side difficulty it would be helpfull. I assume it might be covered in the Clymer I have. Not certain as thats at home where I cannot look.

Gone
2nd May 2006, 16:08
I just warm it up as long as it takes me to get back and close the door. Then I return to it and straddle it and put my gloves on. And go. I roll it back out not under power. And start it and go back and close the door. I was closing the door when I was some way some how notified to look back and see it slowly sinking to the side. All happened within a couple minutes.

I have had the other lever off (clutch side) so I know how to do that one. Just never looked at the Brake side before. Maybe this is the time to upgrade to some Chrome or blades or something? Might as well... If anyone can shed some light on that brake side difficulty it would be helpfull. I assume it might be covered in the Clymer I have. Not certain as thats at home where I cannot look.
Shit happens

sportyblue
2nd May 2006, 17:24
Damn it !! Know what you mean about the slow motion crap. Dropped mine once when I was washing it....just moving it forward a little to turn the tires and over she went......slow motion...ouch !!

cphilip
2nd May 2006, 18:07
Well... I decided to just order a set of the Chrome ones from sOrgy's. He had em for like 60 bucks shipped. Dealer wanted 22 for just the one lever and had to order it and would take a week. Checked to see if they had the black ones but not in stock either. So, since they had a set of chrome one but wanted almost $85 for them I just decided to wait and get em from sOrgy's and do em both. In the Chrome because thats what they had. I think I am going to call the dealer back and have them order me that one. So I then will end up with a pair in the parts box.

Now to figure out how that brake one comes off.... I still don't see anything it hooks up to other than the lever pin which is the same as the clutch side, one circlip holding it on. Could it be that simple over there?

Jimbo999
2nd May 2006, 18:15
There's a special trick with putting a spacer between the lever and Brake switch. If you don't it breaks the switch. Do a search here for details.

skratch
2nd May 2006, 18:26
its really pretty easy. no there isn't anything else holding it on other than the circlip and pivot pin. but as jimbo mentioned, you do have to watch out for that brake light switch in there. its very small, and very easy to break. if you get lucky and don't break it, then you tear the rubber and that lets water in, and before you know it, you gotta replace it anyway. if you can't picture it now, you will understand after you get it off. you don't need the spacer till you're putting it back on, so you could use this time as edumacation.

good luck....

dashadow
2nd May 2006, 18:32
There's a special trick with putting a spacer between the lever and Brake switch. If you don't it breaks the switch. Do a search here for details.
The workshop manual shows exactly how to do this. Do it or suffer the consequences!

cphilip
2nd May 2006, 18:38
Thanks guys. I'll study up. In the mean time I ride!

Learning how this spacer comes off and on will become my friend for a few days.

Added on edit: I see now its purpose I think. What its doing is keeping you from sliding the lever into the switch itself and ether cutting the shroud of it or perhaps tweaking its plunger or even breaking it. Its just to make you slide it in at an angle to miss that switch. Once your clear and around in front of it, all is well. Right?

rshute4
7th May 2006, 03:49
That sucks! i have been letting mine warm up standing next to it while i smoke... then go to close the garage door... makes me think im going to have to take the opener with me and stick it in my jacket or something... would want to go through the slow mo pains.

Would the "engine" guards actually prevent any damage? or are they more for looks?