PDA

View Full Version : Car jack for motorcycle

1995GM
7th May 2006, 02:10
I want to get the front tire off the ground, and so I was wondering if I could use my car jack to get the bike up far enough to raise the bike up on the forks. Also if I can use the jack, where should I jack it from?

SportsterBart
7th May 2006, 02:16
Sure, you could use a car jack with a piece of plywood, and worry about it falling off.. Check out your local PepBoys, they usually have a pretty decent bike jack on sale for around $50.

A worthwhile investment, imho. ;)

Bart

sepaulsen
7th May 2006, 15:37
Go to sportster.org, look under tech and go to rickko's bike lift. Cheap and easy. Put a couple of tie down hooks on the end. Or try a lift from Harbor freight.

TiBaal89
7th May 2006, 15:48
Sure thing. Whatever works, works! Last time I needed to get my wheel off the ground I used a forklift! :D

Big_Baazzoo
7th May 2006, 16:05
I use a car jack all the time. I can lift either tire off the ground, depending on where I put it under the frame. You will be able to figure out the balance point easy enough. The only caution I have is I would not leave it that way unattended for very long. A good bump would knock it over. But for something like lubing the chain or washing the wheels, changing out shocks, I changed tires this way, and replaced chain and sprockets this way, too.

oakies
7th May 2006, 16:18
I wouldn't......EVER.. You'de just be looking for a disaster

Matt
7th May 2006, 16:41
I have the Pep Boys jack and it works well. Mine has a hydraulic slow leak down problem but the safety pawl prevents any problem. Only problem is that it comes from Red China. Oh well-I'd better get used to it.
Matt

IronMick
8th May 2006, 03:10
There is NO PROBLEM using the car jack. It is NOT looking for disaster. Just do it. Place it anywhere convenient under the frame and jack it up until the wheel clears the ground.

When i do this in my small shop i sometimes run a tie-down strap from the frame in front of the seat to a ceiling joist. Not to lift the bike, but just for extra support so i do not accidently tip it over.

Randum77
8th May 2006, 03:20
I could see how you could use a car jack. It' and a peice of would might do the trick, but I would be paranoid that the bike would fall over. I went to harbor freight and scored a Motorcycle / ATV jack for 49.99 and it's pretty dag on sturdy. I can do anything w/ it on that jack. Took off all the wheels, tins, worked the engine. Pulled the entire wiring harness. It's sat on the jack for 2 days at one time w/o any problems when adding a tie down.

Mostly just FYI. Post back a system you figure out so other can search and find it. :)

Big_Baazzoo
8th May 2006, 03:49
I got no problem with the car jack. I seen the lifts and the quickie 2x6 on edge homemade jack, but i got better things to spend money on.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

The Car jack never "let me down":roflblack (get it? let me down!!):roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack

Greywolf
8th May 2006, 04:37
Car jack? Why not! if it's balanced right and not left unattended, sure. left a 750 Honda on one for an entire winter while I worked on it's front end.

95xlcustom
9th May 2006, 00:31
i only use the car jack to keep bik level on the motorcycle jack. when the front or rear is lightened

alan114
14th May 2006, 12:23
here's my car jack i modified for my sporty welded a few pieces of metal so it fits under the frame,jack it up using a cordless drill then support each side with axle stands its really solid to work on if i need to jack the front wheel i just move the jack forward

gronk62
14th May 2006, 12:52
And here's the lift I use.

Thown together from some scrap pipe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/gronk62/other%20stuff/bikestand2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/gronk62/other%20stuff/bikestand1.jpg

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/bike_stand_1.jpg

thunderpaw
14th May 2006, 13:07
Phil, just listened to your 'Gronk Mod' video...did we miss the 1-2 shift? :D

Kim

gronk62
14th May 2006, 13:19
Phil, just listened to your 'Gronk Mod' video...did we miss the 1-2 shift? :D

Kim
I've never missed a shift.

That was just the back end swingin' back the other way before grabbin' for second.

Gravel is a bit slippery when ya give it a fist full.

oakies
14th May 2006, 16:02
I wouldn't......EVER.. You'de just be looking for a disaster

I still stand by my original post.....For the price of a cheap bike jack...why take a chance

XLFREAK
14th May 2006, 16:10
I've used both with success, but my bike seems much more secure on the bike jack.

For the money they cost (~$50) and what they could save you in repairs from a tip-over, I say get a bike jack.

YMMV.

Bill2
15th May 2006, 15:21
I've used both with success, but my bike seems much more secure on the bike jack.

For the money they cost (~$50) and what they could save you in repairs from a tip-over, I say get a bike jack.

YMMV.
I've done the same but i feel alot better when using my sears craftsman bike lift plus it was only $89.95 and came with two tie down straps and a free work seat with wheels or crawler or whatever you call them. There pretty handie with a built-in tool tray. Yeah i can sure pull or tug on things without worrying about tip overs like i did with the car jacks i used in the past.

trollingforwalleye
15th May 2006, 15:37
I am on my way this morning for a bike jack. Is the Sears jack any better than Harbor Freight. How do they position under your sporty?

t.c. Johnson
16th May 2006, 00:12
I haven't used a jack on the Sporty yet but I've used car jacks on all my other bikes. Sometimes I have to use two because of the crazy exhaust configurations. They are OK when you just need to get the wheels off the ground for one reason or another. I wouldn't leave it alone without some tie downs.

Last year I did breakdown and get a real 'bike' jack for the BSA. It was going to be up in the air for a while ( a year so far ) and I knew I'd need the floor jack. Just call me RUB.

Chip
16th May 2006, 03:13
I would not use a car jack! But, I would use a quote from Forrest Gump---
"Stupid is, as Stupid does". Buy or rent a lift

SpartanDen
16th May 2006, 03:44
Just looking at the two, there is not much difference between the Sears and the Harbor Freight. I think the Sears looks better, and perhaps the material is a bit heftier. I bought mine on sale for $69.95 (reg $89.95).
I did find I had to place a couple of 1x3 pieces of wood on the top of the jack to help clear a bit of the appendages on the frame and exhaust. Get down on your knees and check the fit and placement of the jack before you get too far carried away. The two pieces of wood was just enough to meet the frame and provide a steady base. And use the tie downs!!!

1995GM
16th May 2006, 04:00
Wow, thanks for all the replies. Very informative.