PDA

View Full Version : belt drive broke w/ 4200 miles?????

Cafe1200R
10th May 2006, 00:39
I took the sporty for a ride today. I took off quickly from first, then all I could hear was the rev limiter kicking in.:frownthre I brought the bike to a stop checking the transmission to see why I couldn't engage any gear. Then I looked down at the belt.....no belt. It was way behind me.
This bike has only 4200 miles on it and is well within the factory warranty. I haven't even owned the bike for a year yet. My question is should the dealer cover this. I have never heard of a belt breaking with this kind of mileage on it. I am not a drag racer nor do I pull holeshots. If it had 24000 or 42000 I could understand it. When I checked the belt recently for play it was in spec. What do you guys think? thanks

d_dieffenbach
10th May 2006, 01:54
hey yeah thats sucks i just broke my belt last week but my bike has 18,000 miles on it. my dealer would not warrant me new belt belt as for it is a wear item. and the fact that i changed my rear tire myself and reinstalled every thing they would not cover it. but yeah if they would have changed the wheel it would have been covered. so i doubt you changed your rear tire yet at that mileage so they should cover it if you got a good dealer. i feel your pain. i hope they make it right and you get back on the road soon. Derrick

MusclePump
10th May 2006, 02:02
Definitely not cool. I haven't had experience with this, but I hope they'll cover it for ya.

crackers
10th May 2006, 02:16
i had my belt replaced under warranty.
they did check it very carefully for any stone marks and such to void the warranty
than told me thats the only belt i get under warranty.

cheers
crackers

jduffy01
10th May 2006, 04:21
there was a thread about this before. most people believe the belt deflection the manual gives for the rubbermounts is to tight and leads to belts snapping. i tightened mine to the specs they said and it did seem pretty tight, saw cantolina today and even he mentioned it was tight. i loosened it 1/4 turn when i got home to give it more deflection. i also noticed that from the factory my axle was not alligned properly and was cocked a little. so it could be a combination of the factory making the belt to tight and not setting the axle correctly.

opiewontaylor
10th May 2006, 10:28
Just an observation, but going by all the posts on the different forums here, it seems like the rubber mounts are having more than their share of premature belt failures. Could it have anything to do with the added hp, the added weight, or the fact that the motor is allowed to move around a bit? (not knocking the rubbers, just wondering why)

maddog
10th May 2006, 10:44
Just an observation, but going by all the posts on the different forums here, it seems like the rubber mounts are having more than their share of premature belt failures. Could it have anything to do with the added hp, the added weight, or the fact that the motor is allowed to move around a bit? (not knocking the rubbers, just wondering why)

I would guess not, because the Dyna's and Dressers are even heavier and
rubber mounted as well yet they don't seem to have belt issues.

gronk62
10th May 2006, 11:02

It is my belief the tension specs for the rubbermounts is too tight.

The specs for the rigid mounts is looser and they don't display as many failures.

Checked when cold the standard spec feels slighty too tight to me and it gets tighter as the pulleys heat up. I assume this is because they expand slightly.

I always run mine at the loosest spec for rigid mounts even though its a rubbermount.

This spec I use is 17.5mm (11/16") deflection. Therabouts anyway. Its not rocket science.

My first Sporty was a 96 and I rode it nearly 100,000km (60,000miles) and it still had the original belt when I sold it.