PDA

View Full Version : European International Sportster/Buell Meet

bplinson
5th August 2008, 15:22
I have decided to go ahead and start setting up a European Sportster/Buell meet. Everyone is invited, not just people living in Europe.

The event will take place in Oftersheim Germany which is a bit West of Heidelberg at the US Army Rod and Gun Club which is open to the public.

The event will take place 14 - 16 August 2009.

Free camping with toilet and shower facilities. No electricity. Camping is open camping....find a spot and put up your tent. Hotels are available in the surrounding area.

My plan to to have a live band on at least Saturday night.

Events will include a ride-out or Poker Run, Biker Games, etc.... Rifles and pistols are available to rent for $5.00 at the Rod and Gun club, no membership required. Restaurant and bar are available on site.

These plans are only preliminary. I would like to get a count of how many people will attend.

For those coming from out of Europe I can assist is setting up lodging and rental bike of your choice.

Please vote on the poll to let me know if you will attend. This is a public poll, meaning that your XLF username will be visible.

bplinson
5th August 2008, 15:26
Here is a Google Map to the location: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=rod+and+gun+club,+oftersheim,+germany&sll=49.351184,8.607616&sspn=0.079954,0.149689&ie=UTF8&ll=49.349725,8.603598&spn=0.159912,0.299377&t=h&z=12

gomorley
5th August 2008, 15:37
Sorry Bert, I'm away then or I would have been there :(

Sean
5th August 2008, 16:29
Man, that sounds great...but...Mom's visiting from the states during that time--the same reason I'm missing the Edelweiss rally. If for some reason the date changes, I'll definitely find some time!

bplinson
5th August 2008, 16:58
The meet is in 2009....not this year.

Now you have NO excuse!

gomorley
5th August 2008, 17:16
The meet is in 2009....not this year.

Now you have NO excuse!

Shoulda worn my glasses, doh.

jharback
5th August 2008, 17:19
Sounds like a great idea Bert. I'll be there!

Sean
5th August 2008, 17:37
Calendar MARKED!!!! I'll be there (barring phase I/II exercises) , and I'll try to get my buddy to dust off his old Sporty for this one.

Phaedrus
5th August 2008, 23:08
Sporty's, rifles and pistols, sounds like a good combo, I've been thinking about another trip to Germany, we shall see.
What type of bikes are available for rental in that area?
I actually wouldn't mind renting a sport-touring bike, as long as I don't get drummed out of the meet.

bplinson
6th August 2008, 06:38
You can rent just about any model of bike. Renting a European or Japanese Sport Touring bike is probably a lot less expensive then renting a Harley. I'll look into prices.

steelworker
6th August 2008, 09:28
Sounds like a great idea, Bert. I definitely plan to make the trip.

projectracerabbit
6th August 2008, 10:33
I can't wait, as long as I am not deployed I will go. have you thought about getting the dealer envolved or the hog chapter?

beuz
6th August 2008, 10:45
I have to write it now on my calendar !!!
That's great idea !!!

Erik
8th August 2008, 13:42
Hi Bert !

Now that sounds like a great idea to me.
One of my buddys drives a look-a-like-wannabee-HD. Shame on him, i know, but a best friend is a best friend. Is he welcome to, or only if his bike is parked ½ mile outside the camp ?

I've written the data down on the toilet-calender, so my wife can get used to the thought of it....

NebuK
8th August 2008, 21:52
only 50km from where i live ... I'll be there ;P

rottenralph
8th August 2008, 22:23
My 20 year old daughter lives in Leimen. I might just try to make it now that I know it is next year.

bplinson
9th August 2008, 10:46
Hi Bert !

Now that sounds like a great idea to me.
One of my buddys drives a look-a-like-wannabee-HD. Shame on him, i know, but a best friend is a best friend. Is he welcome to, or only if his bike is parked ½ mile outside the camp ?

I've written the data down on the toilet-calender, so my wife can get used to the thought of it....

Sure your buddy can come.

OutlawTexan67
14th August 2008, 20:14
Well You know you can count Me in,now all I have to do is get my choppin' done till then!!!!

Gone
14th August 2008, 20:48
I go home to visit my family in the south of Sweden almost every summer, so I will try to make this one. It's a bit of a hike still, but it should be doable.

rottenralph
16th August 2008, 21:21
Take the ferry to northern Germany and it will be about an 8 hour ride. Go to North Denmark and add three to four hours.

Gone
19th August 2008, 18:54
Take the ferry to northern Germany and it will be about an 8 hour ride. Go to North Denmark and add three to four hours.

Yes, now with the bridge between Malmoe and Copenhagen it's pretty smooth to just drive across to Denmark and ride down to Rodby, ferry over to Puttgarden and hit the continent. After getting back from our Yosemite trip last night I feel like I might rent a BMW in Sweden and strap a Sporty on the back for some local riding around where the event is. :laugh

stephenw
22nd August 2008, 09:44
Great idea. I'll be going.

beuz
22nd August 2008, 10:30
I've just asked Michelin to know how to go there.....

http://i50.servimg.com/u/f50/11/00/68/87/german10.jpg

prasthan
31st August 2008, 13:36
sounds really cool as I am German, will tell my friends will all come I am sure. What about stalls for food, bike parts, memorabilia?? have you got it covered?

gomorley
31st August 2008, 13:41
Hey Bert, I originally voted for not attending when I thought it was this year, can I change my vote to "I will try to attend "?

RIORoosen
18th September 2008, 13:50
I've marked it in the calender, and will definately be attending. I'll be driving over from Amsterdam, anything I can bring ya?!?! :smoke

Erik,

Als je samen daar naartoe wil rijden...hoor ik het graag.

beuz
18th September 2008, 13:59
Some special "tulips" from the local cofee shop....:smoke:smoke:smoke

http://i30.servimg.com/u/f30/11/00/68/87/th/img00010.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=1026&u=11006887)

RIORoosen
19th September 2008, 10:17
B.,

I got your back! :smoke
I'll bring enough for us all for the whole weekend. Was there any special type of tulip you were looking for? They come in so many flavors, I mean colors, these days, and we all have our preferences!!
:tour

beuz
19th September 2008, 11:02
My favorite is the green cap one !!!!

OutlawTexan67
21st September 2008, 12:01
B.,

I got your back! :smoke
I'll bring enough for us all for the whole weekend. Was there any special type of tulip you were looking for? They come in so many flavors, I mean colors, these days, and we all have our preferences!!
:tour

Well......I would say a little Green a little black maybe some blonde.......Ahh hell just bring a little of every thing!!!!!!!!:smoke

RIORoosen
22nd September 2008, 08:40
Well......I would say a little Green a little black maybe some blonde.......Ahh hell just bring a little of every thing!!!!!!!!:smoke

No worries, you got it! :smoke
I'll make sure to bring all the colors of hte rainbow! :D

mus
25th October 2008, 11:56
Erik,

Als je samen daar naartoe wil rijden...hoor ik het graag.

Probleem om ook nog even over Assen te rijden?

DEEP DIVER
25th October 2008, 13:15
If me and the wife can make time we will try to be there.

RIORoosen
27th October 2008, 11:29
Probleem om ook nog even over Assen te rijden?

Natuurlijk niet! Stuur me anders effe je mobiel #, kunnen we de details uitwerken!
En hoop dat je rebuild nogsteeds nog zo goed gaat!

bplinson
27th October 2008, 19:04
Just to let everyone know...this is still a go.

beuz
28th October 2008, 10:50
August will come quickly........

sportymark
28th October 2008, 12:37
Will try and make this.

Got a coupla Sporty ridin' friends who would be up for this as well!

mus
28th October 2008, 14:33
Natuurlijk niet! Stuur me anders effe je mobiel #, kunnen we de details uitwerken!
En hoop dat je rebuild nogsteeds nog zo goed gaat!

Sorry, the rebuild is Erik, not me!
But anyway, there now are already three of us going to Germany.

mrlowlight
4th November 2008, 11:29
Hope this stays a going concern and I will try to make it....will know for sure soon.

beuz
4th November 2008, 11:40
I asked some french sporty owners to come with me...
Still waiting for an answer.......

OutlawTexan67
4th November 2008, 14:02
August will come quickly........

:censor Dont say that I am still in the middle of My build!!!!:doh

But hope to have it done by then!!!!!:D

beuz
4th November 2008, 15:20
You'll have to work twice harder !!!!

Erik
4th November 2008, 18:47
mus : Sorry, the rebuild is Erik, not me!
But anyway, there now are already three of us going to Germany.

Already a group ;).

I'll make sure my rebuild is long done by then, and am already looking forward to going. Maybe some other Dutch Sportster drivers can join us.

Locust
8th December 2008, 00:40
Going to be stationed in Wiesbaden as of March and Oftersheim is only an hour away according to Google.

So provided I'm not back in the sandbox and we've met a responsible individual willing to watch the kids the wife and I will be there.

So in short, I'm 100% sure I might be there :laugh

sirbOOm
10th January 2009, 22:27
This is great. I'm moving to Germany in February, and my bike is being shipped over in late March. August will be peak riding season, and it'd be nice to meet some folks! I'll be there with a 2009 American-spec Nightster! That is, if I can prevent the bike from being stolen prior to this event!

beuz
11th January 2009, 12:19
Don't worry !!!
The only thief in the place will be me !!!:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

sirbOOm
11th January 2009, 15:46
Don't worry !!!
The only thief in the place will be me !!!:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

Would you send me a picture of you then? I need to make sure I have my people looking out for you. :tour

beuz
11th January 2009, 16:36
No problem, here I am !!!!

http://i60.servimg.com/u/f60/11/00/68/87/the_th10.jpg

Tim97509
12th January 2009, 15:02
i will be there with atleast 2 others. Can´t wait!

bplinson
2nd February 2009, 10:10
It is with great regret that I have to announce that I can not put this together this year. I was hoping to start providing more info about the meeting in the March / April time framed.

The US Army in Europe recently announced that the Kaserne I am working on is closing and we are moving to another.

Not only is the move planned for the time frame that I wanted to hold the meet but I have also been assigned to the movement organization team and will not be able to spend a lot of time organizing a motorcycle meet.

Good news is that I plan to stay in Europe for quite a few more years and once I am settled into the new location I will put this together.

One idea for the summer of 2009 is for European XLF members to meet at one of the many established European motorcycle rallies like Fakker See. I know I plan to make it at least one this year and I hope to see you there.

If anyone else would like to take the reins of organizing an XLF European meet please let me know.

steelworker
2nd February 2009, 10:23
Sorry to hear it, Bert - I was looking forward to that. As you say, we'll have to try and all meet up at another event. I suggest we keep this thread open for posting any alternative events / dates that members can come up with.

Cheers
Myles

beuz
2nd February 2009, 12:28
What a bad news !!!
I was so happy to go to Germany to meet all of you...
I hope i'll be able to go to Faaker See.
Not sure because of the mileage (2800 kilometers) which meens a lot of gas !!!

mrlowlight
2nd February 2009, 13:40
yes it is a shame....I will definitely be going to Faaker See this year though.

RIORoosen
2nd February 2009, 13:55
That is a total bummer Bert. :frownone
But let me then tell everyone that there is an annual Sportster Owners Netherlands meeting taking place on the 16th of May in Riethoven, which is very close to Eindhoven and in turn the border with Belgium.
It's an all day event, starts at 11:00 am and ends when you pass out! :clap
There is an organized ride-out and a BBQ at the end of the day.
If anybody is interested, please PM me and I'll send along some links and all other pertinent info.
All are welcome :clap

Sean
17th February 2009, 10:56
Hey, I just posted an event over in the APO/Germany section. We're having a rally 1st weekend of August at Spangdahlem...all are welcome! It's not on the base so you don't have to be military.

mus
22nd February 2009, 16:45
Indeed very, very bad news. I was also hoping to meet all you guys.

Maybe somewhere else? At Riethoven or Spangdahlem? I'll see.
I'll try to attend but we already made a holidayschedule at work :frownone