PDA

View Full Version : Oil cap

BBISCUIT
16th May 2006, 22:03
Anyone else have trouble with that &*^% oil cap? Too slippery to grip! It should have ridges on rim. I cannot get mine to screw in (after major trouble unscrewing it) It will push down and stay, but it's not turning.

AOW
16th May 2006, 22:09
Yes it can be tough to screw it back in on mine too. I find if I move the seat just a bit away from the cap I can get more of my hand around the cap and get it to work.

Welcome to the forum!

snowman
16th May 2006, 22:11
Must be an '04 later cap!!!! Love mine too.............

Good idea for a new product:smoke

Fackler Rebel
17th May 2006, 02:30
Hey y'all:

I wiggle mine and pull it out and then push it straight down and, knock on wood, I've got nearly 13,000 miles on it, bought it used from Zylstra Harley in Ames Iowa, had it shipped to Arkansas and it had 3,164 miles on it. Gas it, enjoy it and don't worry about it.

Ride to Live and Live to Ride

Reb

Roadster_Rider
17th May 2006, 02:47
The 06 caps have little ridges in em, i'm sure you could find the P/N somewhere and order one.

Lone Wolf in Canada
17th May 2006, 02:48
My 05 Custom is very hard to remove also. I cut a 1" wide X 5" piece of old innertube and wrap this around the cap once it pops up, I unscrew AND pull up at the same time and it works great.
Hope this helps!

STEVOMERCKX
17th May 2006, 13:16
i have the stealership change my oil cause im lazy. my dad asked once, "hey did you ever check the oil?" i say hell no i cant get the damn cap off. if theirs no oil in the bike its the dealerships fault...i cant get the cap off lol. it looks cool so i dont care to much. but you need more grip for sure.

Jt1200r
17th May 2006, 13:28
buy the one with the temp. gauge . its works nice

release
17th May 2006, 14:46
Even the temp gauge cap can be a PITA, though it is better than OE. At least I haven't had a problem with it blowing out or leaking, as some others have.

VTRII
17th May 2006, 14:56
Anyone else have trouble with that &*^% oil cap? Too slippery to grip! It should have ridges on rim. I cannot get mine to screw in (after major trouble unscrewing it) It will push down and stay, but it's not turning.

Yeah, they are hard to turn. I grip it with a paper towel. Make sure it is keyed right when you install it. The last time I had a hard time with it, it was 180 degrees out.

Moved On / My Own Choice
17th May 2006, 15:14
This thread -----> mole hill

what you guys are making of it ------- > Mountain!

:p ;)

crackers
17th May 2006, 15:19

i have an 'aussie post' rubber band in the garage for such an occasion
try a 1/2 inch wide rubber band around the top of the cap, its easy then.
(or latex gloves...... maybe the occ guys arent that silly)

cheers
crackers

DustyJacket
17th May 2006, 18:50
I drilled 1/8" holes around the outside of mine, and now get a great grip.

jdcastille
17th May 2006, 19:56
Can get it out okay. You have to line it up just right to get it back in. I do have trouble with it popping up while i'm riding and the darn thing leaks. I'll get back from a ride and have all all down the side of the box coming out from around the cap. I'll be doing my 1000 mile service soon, so I hope the dealer has an idea.

BBISCUIT
18th May 2006, 13:31
Thanks for the replies. I wanted to know if mine was defective or just a normal quirk of the Sporty. I'll try the rubber band idea.

snowman
18th May 2006, 13:39
my dad asked once, "hey did you ever check the oil?" i say hell no i cant get the damn cap off. if theirs no oil in the bike its the dealerships fault...

toooo funny :roflblack:roflblack:roflblack

04custom
19th May 2006, 01:47
While at Biketoberfest last year, I stopped at the new dealer off of I-95. I asked them to check the oil cap since it was so difficult to remove. A Harley rep was on site and approved a warranty replacement for me. The part was not in stock and instead they gave me a new one with temp gauge, no charge. It works like a charm.

Your dealer can replace it under warranty if he really wants to.

XL1200C, 2004, Black

Cameron
19th May 2006, 03:00
You are all right!
Mine 2005 it was a bitch to get it out til I had it clean to the max. If the oil cap has any residue of oil, it will not be easy to get it out. (I found out in the hard way)
Now I keep it extremely clean, it will twist and came out.
Keep it clean! is my suggestion, I ain't spending no mo money to improve the bike, It should have been thought out by the engineers from Harley.

Good luck,

Cameron, XL 883 SS (Standard Stock)

Gone
19th May 2006, 03:11
i always have a problem with the dang thang poping up on me with my leg hitin it all the time.