PDA

View Full Version : poker runs

smoking man
21st May 2006, 10:03
i was at stones harley (marion,in.) for thier open house and was expecting to go on a poker run and when i got ther they changed the poker run to a dart board run and in the paper it said that "national hog organization has found poker runs a form of gambling and are not going to do them any more" which i thought was strange but was wondering what you all thought of poker runs? i enjoy them.

1LD1200
21st May 2006, 10:37
I like poker runs, i've been on a few of them, i had fun every time i went.

daesdaemar
21st May 2006, 13:14
political correctness rears its ugly head yet again...

ncbuilder
21st May 2006, 19:10
I was aware of rulings in Texas and South Carolina on poker runs as gambling but have't heard about HOG Club ruling the same.
Maybe we all need to contact and join our local CBA & ABATE...........

XLFREAK
21st May 2006, 21:50
I just returned from my chapter's annual poker run...I guess nobody told them. We were rained on pretty good, too. The only bad part was a couple hit a car and bounced off the winshield, breaking the passenger's leg. Hopefully they'll be OK.

smoking man
22nd May 2006, 07:48
sorry to hear about the couple hope they are ok. and i am planning on checking into this a little more. know some people in the national in ft.wayne and will check it out.and wii let ya know what i find out,at least on my local level.
:smoke

Greywolf
22nd May 2006, 15:44
Been on a couple runs in the past, good fun. A form of gambling? Only if your betting can it be gambling but I'm no lawyer so what do I know.

CROW
22nd May 2006, 16:49
Unless they pay out money how can it be gambling. It's been along time ago I used to set-up Poker Runs for our chapter and other clubs. We always gave Plaques as awards. We also never listed entery fees Always listed it as a donation.

Da Man wants to take away all that is good....

VETRAN
22nd May 2006, 22:59
...I couldn't win a hand if I had 5 aces!!!:doh

Scott

xena
22nd May 2006, 23:16
Local chapter here just had a poker run yesterday so
I reckon nobody told them either.

Gone
23rd May 2006, 02:08
We have them on a regular basis at least once a month, and i figure we will have them till told other wise or the rules are changed here in ky.
they are a fun experience for all.

MusclePump
23rd May 2006, 02:16
poker runs are good fun

Deicer18
23rd May 2006, 07:16
Here some org or other has a poker run every weekend. I have been on 6 since March 1. Yeah I guess its a form of gambling since its a "game of chance" but even our POLICE org.....The Wild Pigs.......have a run and its usually the biggest of the year. Theirs was on April 2nd, temps in mid 50s, and had approx 650 bikes.

bud095
23rd May 2006, 07:45
i dont go on a run to win any thing its all about fun

jamman
23rd May 2006, 10:55
maybe another one of those weird "hoosier", rules or laws ..lol

Gone
23rd May 2006, 11:24
Some people think just because it has the word "POKER" with it that it is associated with gambling, but they forget to dig deeper into the event and see that the majority of poker runs are held to raise money for different types of charity. Ive been on several that raised money for the Shriners, local schools that are trying to raise money for their organizations, nursing homes rasing money and so many other great organizations. Last poker run I rode in was a pack of about 100 or so bikes. So much fun just seeing that long line behind you. I dont do it to think I am going to win some money or anything like that I just ride in them because I enjoy riding and meeting new people.