PDA

View Full Version : Hot Wires

busboyblues
22nd May 2006, 12:44
This is a sort of follow up to a question I asked regarding Autolite Spark Plugs: Is it normal for the spark plug wires to become hot (not so hot as to burn my fingers, but very warm to the touch) , or should they feel relatively cool to the touch?

The reason I ask is on my way into work today, about an 8 1/2 mile ride, in upper 30 degree temps, the wires felt awfully hot when I got to work. It was the first ride with the new Autolites, so I wasn't sure if it was okay or not.

Thanks!

grizz420
22nd May 2006, 13:35
not sure but will bump this for someone else

busboyblues
22nd May 2006, 14:42
Anyone?

....Anyone?

....Bueller...Ferris Bueller? :dunno

AZFlyingDiver
22nd May 2006, 14:47
I think it's normal to be hot to the touch. Plug wire insulation can stand up to 450 degrees F (maybe more, but I just recall that weird fact from somewhere...), and there's quite a bit of heat being conducted from the plug itself despite the heavy insulation of the wire jacket...

cantolina
22nd May 2006, 14:47
This is a sort of follow up to a question I asked regarding Autolite Spark Plugs: Is it normal for the spark plug wires to become hot (not so hot as to burn my fingers, but very warm to the touch) , or should they feel relatively cool to the touch?

The reason I ask is on my way into work today, about an 8 1/2 mile ride, in upper 30 degree temps, the wires felt awfully hot when I got to work. It was the first ride with the new Autolites, so I wasn't sure if it was okay or not.

Thanks!

Spark plugs (properly gapped) won't make a bit of difference....

Lots of electricity zipping thru those bad boys, not to mention that they are in the path of the heads releasing heat........I would expect SOME heat...

I would say as long as there is no other symptom, you don't have a problem....

busboyblues
22nd May 2006, 14:50
Okay, thanks guys, I was a little worried, because I don't recall them being as hot before, but then again, I don't think I ever really checked to see how hot they got.

Thanks for your help!

busboyblues
22nd May 2006, 16:52
I also wasn't sure if there were any differences between hollow or solid tipped plugs, and if that had something to do with it, or because different plugs have different burn temperatures.

chrishajer
22nd May 2006, 16:58
The operating temperature of the plug has nothing to do with the external temperature of the plug wire, other than the fact if you use the wrong heat range plug and your engine runs hot, the heat it gives off will warm up the wires too (and your legs, and horn cover, aircleaner, bottom of your fuel tank....)

My plug wires are warm to the touch if my engine is warm or it's warm outside.

--Chris