PDA

View Full Version : where to buy a .50 Idle jet for CV?

ksoggs
23rd May 2006, 16:47
I am looking all over and no one seems to carry this, and many places tell me it doesnt exist.

I look online, like ebay and such, and a ton of places have jets and jet kits, but they rate them by "stage" not by size. "stage 1 jet kit" "stage 2 jet kit"

I went to my local indy shop and called a bunch of dealers... no one has this.

i know a few of you guys have run them, but where did you get them at?

I have a .48 now, and with the mixture needle about to fall out my plugs are still as white as the day i bought them. I think i need a .50, but i cant find it anywhere.

HELP!!!

shedds
23rd May 2006, 17:05
try drilling the 48 to a .050

gamhill
23rd May 2006, 17:21
The CV is also used on some metric bikes as well, check with a Yamaha dealer. I doubt that part number would match up - take an extra jet with you.

ksoggs
23rd May 2006, 17:38
try drilling the 48 to a .050

are you serious? i would need to be a dentist to do somrthing like that

where would someone even get such a tiny drill bit?

rx3732
23rd May 2006, 17:41
See my thread here: http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=28687
My dealer just put a 50 in my bike and took it back out as it was too much (currently running a 48). If you want, I can see if they still have it (or another one) and send it out to you. Let me know.

ksoggs
23rd May 2006, 17:57
See my thread here: http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=28687
My dealer just put a 50 in my bike and took it back out as it was too much (currently running a 48). If you want, I can see if they still have it (or another one) and send it out to you. Let me know.

Please if you could ask them... i called my dealerships and they said they cant even get slow jets. they only deal in main jets, and for that you need to buy a whole kit.

i am in cleveland ohio. where are you?
i can give you my full address if you can send it to me. do you have payal?

ksoggs
23rd May 2006, 18:05
in your other thread you said that the mixture screw wasnt doing anything, full in or full out.... mine is doing the exact same thing... did they say what was causing that?

right now i have a 48 jet... and it is still running lean. that is why i want to try a 50.

rx3732
23rd May 2006, 19:28
in your other thread you said that the mixture screw wasnt doing anything, full in or full out.... mine is doing the exact same thing... did they say what was causing that?

right now i have a 48 jet... and it is still running lean. that is why i want to try a 50.

Picked up a 50 jet for you.
No, they never said what caused it.

crackers
24th May 2006, 00:21
i just installed a #50, got it from the dealership.
But they also have a dragracing program, which probably helped.

cheers
crackers

chrishajer
24th May 2006, 01:01
Nothing p:censorsses me off more than dealers that don't know what the h:censor!! they're talking about and also refuse to learn more so they can help. :mad:

Sheesh

Any dealership can set up an account with Sudco www.sudco.com and order all the jets they want, for pretty much any carburetor ever made. This chart is from the Sudco catalog:

http://www.chrishajer.com/bike/XLF/sudco.png

The part numbers don't translate to HD part numbers, so HD dealers may claim not to know anything about them. HD does not sell a .50 pilot AFAIK. But I can damn sure find you one SOMEWHERE. The .50 pilot jet comes in some aftermarket rejetting kits, available from J&P and the like (insert favorite vendor name here.)

Also, DON'T drill out the jet. Sure, you can do it, and be fairly close to the decimal size if you're good. The tools you need are a pin vise and number drill. A .45 mm jet (the 45 pilot jet is .45 mm) is equivalent to 0.0177165", which is close to a #77 drill bit (a #77 drill bit is nominally 0.018") and a .50 mm pilot jet hole would need to be 0.019685", which corresponds to a #76 drill bit at 0.020" (which means if the drill bit were truly 0.020" and you drilled perfectly, the hole would be .508mm or closer to a 51 pilot jet.)

http://www.greenwayproducts.com/img_tools/tool_pinvise_bitsdome.jpg

The problem with doing it is that the jet still says {whatever} on the outside. The next guy to work on it, even you, might forget what actually happened to the jet, and assume the number on the jet is true. Let's assume you're tuning a problem that appears to be a lean condition. So, you replace a jet marked .45 with a true .48, and the bike runs worse because the old .45 was actually drilled to something closer to .50. It's a tuning nightmare. Not to mention, you just tossed that '45' pilot jet in your box of jets, and in a year when your buddy needs one, you give him this '45' and it's more like a 49 or 50. More grief and dead ends.

The other problem with drilling the jet is that the hole is generally honed by the manufacturer, not drilled, so even though you have the right size drill bit (nominally) the surface you carve onto the inside surface of the jet will be rougher than OEM, and that will create inconsistencies.

Another problem, if you've ever used a pin vise, is that you have to be very careful to drill just enough material out of the jet without 'wallowing' it out or going larger. Sure, we've all done it, but it's imprecise at best. I mean, the jets are only brass.

Jets are cheap. Buy more. Heck, dealers do so many jet kits, they typically have jets laying around. Of course, the ones you need are the ones they typically install, but not always. I've said it before and will say it again: make friends with Service. A little beer goes a long way (and I don't even drink beer or work at a dealership.)

--Chris

SportsterBart
24th May 2006, 01:08
Excellent post Chris :clap

:iagree

Bart

Sportster Girl
24th May 2006, 01:24
Excellent post Chris :clap

:iagree

Bart

Chris is awesome! We're lucky to have him around....good info! :banana

AZFlyingDiver
24th May 2006, 01:36
While reading this, I got to wondering how best to verify the jet size despite what might be stamped on it. Maybe using drill bits? I wonder because of the counterfeit Dynojet kits that have been out there (stamped with different jet sizes even though they were the same!). Or should I stop wondering?:doh

chrishajer
24th May 2006, 01:51
You can verify using drill bits, but you always run the risk of taking more material out of the jet when doing so. We're talking less than 1/1000 of an inch in some cases. You can use the non-fluted end of the drill, like a wire gauge.

Personally, I would start with a known good jet and not worry. We know of the counterfeit DJ kits. We know there are some crap Taiwan jet kits out there. If we are the only ones working on our bikes, we know what's in them. If there's a question, just put in a known good jet. That advice works for pretty much any component. Just replace jet with [ whatever ]

And, I would stop wondering. :) It's a concern, but there are way more important things to worry about. But if some carb tuning is not going as expected ("I know I went richer with the jet, but it acts like I went leaner...") keep it in mind.

--Chris

AZFlyingDiver
24th May 2006, 01:55
Great insight Chris, and thanks! I don't have a problem personally - just wondering more for others for the reason you mentioned if some carb tuning is not going as expected ("I know I went richer with the jet, but it acts like I went leaner...") keep it in mind.

I'll stop wondering now (about this anyway) :tour

Gone
27th May 2006, 16:44
If the idle mixture doesn't do anything than your too rich and the idle speed is also to fast. Not even a bad boy Twin cam needs a 50. I gurantee a sportster will drowned on a 50. You'll wash the cylinders ruin your oil and then there's the carbon build up.

ksoggs
27th May 2006, 20:35
If the idle mixture doesn't do anything than your too rich and the idle speed is also to fast. Not even a bad boy Twin cam needs a 50. I gurantee a sportster will drowned on a 50. You'll wash the cylinders ruin your oil and then there's the carbon build up.

so then care to tell me why the 48 jet made my bike run 2x better than the 45 that was in it before and why my plugs are stark white even on this jet.

nite53
27th May 2006, 21:15
try www.sudco.com

Gone
27th May 2006, 21:16
Because something else is wrong. I went through everything i could think of in your other post. I have an identical conversion and my bike runs perfect on a 42 180 NOKK. I think you need to look at your cam timing marks. Something doesn't add up. You said you've checked for intake leaks right?

On my plugs the insulators look almost new, just a hair of tan color and the electrodes look just a little tan also.

In the step by step post I sent you, I detailed how to get the bike as close to normal as possible. These bikes will run with all kinds of differents settings. But they won't run to their potential. You need to get back to "a normal state of tune"

Check Cam timing

Jet properly (a 50 slow jet is not anywhere close)

Check your VOES

It sounds to me like your shooting into the dark. I'm just trying to help, and I know what i'm doing

Folkie
27th May 2006, 21:27
HD does not sell a .50 pilot AFAIK.
I made a note a little while ago that part #27302-84 is a 50 slow jet. Trouble is, I don't know where I got the info from, and have no idea if it's right or not. Can anyone confirm?

ted
27th May 2006, 22:22
I'm with thedroid on this. There is something else not right. I mentioned cam timing on messenger with the bike owner. Forcewinder vent too.
The big problem here is this bike was converted before he bought it. No idea how it was assembled. It is also the guy's first Harley. If it was me, I would check cam timing first thing. That is the easiest thing to get messed up during assembly. It would also cause the symptoms being described.
Jetting can only be addressed after making sure everything else is ok.
Ted

MOREHP
28th May 2006, 00:27
I got my 50 SJ from the dealer, Bike runs mint with it.

chrishajer
28th May 2006, 16:28
I made a note a little while ago that part #27302-84 is a 50 slow jet. Trouble is, I don't know where I got the info from, and have no idea if it's right or not. Can anyone confirm?
That is a 50 pilot jet, but it was for a fixed venturi Keihin, not the CV. There was some talk of the holes being different on the sides of the jet for fixed venturi vs. CV. I'm sure the hole in the middle for the fuel is .50 mm, but the differences from a CV jet are elsewhere. You have to see them side by side to compare.

Another interesting thing is that there at California and 49-state jets, of the same size. Those have differences other than just the hole in the middle too.

Dealers can get a proper 50 pilot from Sudco for the CV.

--Chris