PDA

View Full Version : Camping weekend of Oct 17-19

ParrotHead
6th October 2008, 17:00
Anyone up for camping the weekend of Oct 17-19?

Location TBD.
Since it is getting colder perhaps head south to Assateague Island (http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/eastern/assateague.html)
Or Gettysburg? Or where ever the group wants to go.

kribit
6th October 2008, 17:30
Anyone up for camping the weekend of Oct 17-19?

Location TBD.
Since it is getting colder perhaps head south to Assateague Island (http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/eastern/assateague.html)
Or Gettysburg? Or where ever the group wants to go.

I'm in. I'll go wherever. Only thing is I have to be back around lunchtime that Sunday but I can always leave really early depending on how far away we are.

Brad
6th October 2008, 17:58
Gonna have to skip this one. Philly bound... :rockband

ParrotHead
7th October 2008, 17:33
I'm in. I'll go wherever. Only thing is I have to be back around lunchtime that Sunday but I can always leave really early depending on how far away we are.

Not an issue. Assateague is about 3 hrs. It was 180 miles to Ocean City MD. Not sure if I can get out of work early enough to get there in daylight.

Screw Loose Dan
11th October 2008, 11:53
Still planning on camping this weekend? I was planning on taking an extended trip, but thinking of scaling it back so there's a good chance I'll be up for a weekend camping excursion before heading to the Smoky Mtns.

ParrotHead
12th October 2008, 05:27
Still planning on camping this weekend? I was planning on taking an extended trip, but thinking of scaling it back so there's a good chance I'll be up for a weekend camping excursion before heading to the Smoky Mtns.

As far as I know we are. No firm destination yet.

kribit
12th October 2008, 20:10
I'm still in. I have another friend who might be interested too.

kribit
12th October 2008, 21:16
Not an issue. Assateague is about 3 hrs. It was 180 miles to Ocean City MD. Not sure if I can get out of work early enough to get there in daylight.

I don't think I'll be able to get out early this Friday either. We can always camp somewhere closer Friday and then move camp Saturday.

ParrotHead
13th October 2008, 15:06
I don't think I'll be able to get out early this Friday either. We can always camp somewhere closer Friday and then move camp Saturday.

Weather Friday looks a little iffy with some rain in the long range forcast. We could head out early Saturday?

Thoughts on where to go? Looks cold next weekend so south may be the best direction.

kribit
13th October 2008, 17:01
We can wait and see what the weather changes to. I'd still like to head out Friday if possible.

Dan, would you be leaving on your trip from camping? If so we could head in whatever general direction you need to be in.

Screw Loose Dan
13th October 2008, 19:34
I have no real plans on what I'm doing for my trip. Leaving from the camping weekend and going right into the trip has been what I've been thinking. Probably heading towards the Smokey Mtns, so a southerly drift would suit that, but I don't really care.

ParrotHead
13th October 2008, 21:15
Dan,
If you can head out Friday early enough to get the site, that may make it a little easier setting up.

I had suggested Assateague since I have always wanted to camp there, and with this weather I doubt the flies will be an issue. It may be cold being near the ocean. Scroll down for the link. Sites are $30.

The northern end just below Ocean City MD is where I was thinking. There is a MD state park co-located there and they have real showers, etc.

If anyone has other ideas, lets hear them.

Screw Loose Dan
13th October 2008, 22:34
Presuming the bike is in running order :o :rolleyes: I should be able to leave anytime on Friday.

(Yeah...I'm doing some work to it this week :doh ...we'll see how much of it actually gets done. I'm off starting tomorrow, so I have the rest of the week to take care of it.)

ParrotHead
14th October 2008, 00:47
Presuming the bike is in running order :o :rolleyes: I should be able to leave anytime on Friday.

(Yeah...I'm doing some work to it this week :doh ...we'll see how much of it actually gets done. I'm off starting tomorrow, so I have the rest of the week to take care of it.)

Sounds like a plan. I'll check on reservations if I can get 5 minutes at work.

ParrotHead
14th October 2008, 18:59
Just checked on Assateague, sites are $30/night. 3 bikes on one is no problem. Only some of the loops are open due to low volume. We do not need to make reservations and would probably be able to just show up and have a site.

Is this location ok?

Any other suggestions on where to go?

I may be able to get out of work aroung 3:00 and get on the road by 4 or so. Its 160 miles for me and about 3 hrs.

kribit
14th October 2008, 20:06
Like I said, I'll go anywhere. Right now weather for Assateague is showing 70% rain on Saturday though, where if we went west instead there'd only be 30%. But of course that could change or just be completely wrong. We could always make the final call on Friday. Since the weekend's going to be a little chilly I don't think we'd have problems getting in anywhere without reservations.

ParrotHead
14th October 2008, 21:45
Like I said, I'll go anywhere. Right now weather for Assateague is showing 70% rain on Saturday though, where if we went west instead there'd only be 30%. But of course that could change or just be completely wrong. We could always make the final call on Friday. Since the weekend's going to be a little chilly I don't think we'd have problems getting in anywhere without reservations.

Hadn't had time to check weather yet...

And go figure, going north up towards the PA Grand Canyon is only 20% chance.

We can play it by ear. I'll check Thursday night/Friday morning and we can make a decision.

Screw Loose Dan
15th October 2008, 01:32
I'm good with whatever. Game time decisions are good.

Of course, working on the bike the week before going away has it's pitfalls (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=335671)...we'll see what happens.

kribit
15th October 2008, 02:30
It's hard to avoid doing stuff before a trip. I hope that squirrel's still alive :p

Screw Loose Dan
15th October 2008, 03:26
I hope that squirrel's still alive :p

Uhh...well, ya see...ummm...it's like this...he went to live with his cousin up in the Poconos. I don't think he'll be back though. :wonderlan ;)

ParrotHead
15th October 2008, 16:01
I wonder if your squirrel is in the same place as the one that found its way into our recycling bucket which was full of water. Not sure how long he "slept" there until it was pointed out to me by one of the kids.

johnnybgood
16th October 2008, 02:19
Are you guys camping down here on the Shore this weekend? If so, we should get together. Any plans for a Saturday ride?

John

ParrotHead
16th October 2008, 02:57
We are planning on it. Will make the final call Thursday based on weather. No plans for rides yet, and getting together would be great.

kribit
16th October 2008, 14:30
Weather's looking better for Assateague now: http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/USMD0295?from=tenDay_topnav_undeclared

decman
16th October 2008, 17:17
Yea, looks like a decent weekend. Sorry I can't join you this time.

later
Dec

ParrotHead
16th October 2008, 20:51
Weather does look better.

What time is everyone available to head down? I hope to be on the road by 4to get ahead of traffic.

DRC and Kribit, you need directions? Basically we are headed just south of Ocean City MD. Once in the park, pass the turn to head to the beach area and just after that is a large lot which I believe is the state park area.

kribit
16th October 2008, 20:57
I probably won't be able to leave until 4:30 or 5. Whoever gets there first, just text the site numbers out. :)

kribit
16th October 2008, 21:13
I haven't been through Delaware much. What's a better route? All the way down 1? Or 1 to 113? Better as in less towns/stops.

ParrotHead
16th October 2008, 21:21
I haven't been through Delaware much. What's a better route? All the way down 1? Or 1 to 113? Better as in less towns/stops.

Good question. I think both are about the same. 113 will skip some of the shore towns. 1 will drop you in Ocean City and you need to drive through most of the Island to a bridge.

Screw Loose Dan
17th October 2008, 02:52
I think I'm set to go finally. Got the bike back together...whew! Besides the leaky rocker cover, should be good-to-go. If it pisses me off bad enough I'll just have to fix it somewhere on the road.

Since I've been working on the bike, I haven't had time to prep for my trip. So, realistically it probably won't be until 3 or so until I roll. There's a chance it might be early, but not likely. If anyone wants to ride down together that would be cool...otherwise I'll actually have to look at a map! ;)

Brad
17th October 2008, 02:58

I usually prefer 13 to 113, but 1 to 113 is probably faster (not by much). I'd say stay on 113 when you get mid-state. (Milford?) I make that run a lot on my way to the other Wilmington (NC) Have fun y'all!

ParrotHead
17th October 2008, 03:03
Dan,
not sure what time I am leaving just yet. I can give you a call when I am ready to leave work. That would give you an hr warning. My bike is all packed. Just need to get home, change, and go.

kribit
17th October 2008, 03:13
Thanks Brad!

Dan and Chris- Unless you guys want to go through Jersey, I'll just meet you there. Probably won't be too far behind if you get started at 4.

Mohntonite
17th October 2008, 03:15
Just like to give my input if I may. After rt 1 take 113 and exit at the Ocean Pines exit , also know as Race Track Road. This will take you to 50. My inlaws have a property next to Ocean Pines and this is the best Route. Its just a few miles above where the bike week event used to be held. Hope you all have a good time. If weather gets rough I can tell you where the key is hidden.

Screw Loose Dan
17th October 2008, 03:24
Dan,
not sure what time I am leaving just yet. I can give you a call when I am ready to leave work. That would give you an hr warning. My bike is all packed. Just need to get home, change, and go.

Well, I'm going to try to get out of here earlier. If I do, I'll let you know. Otherwise we can figure out a place to meet or whatever.

kribit
17th October 2008, 15:35
I might be able to leave a little earlier after all today. Will know for sure after lunch. Just post up what time you guys are leaving when you know and maybe I can join one of you.

ParrotHead
17th October 2008, 18:30
Leaving work at 1:30. Hope to be on road by 2:30 - 3:00.

kribit
17th October 2008, 18:49
I could probably leave around 3. Is there some place you can think of where we could meet right after getting on 1 from 95? I'll be going over Del Mem Br.

ParrotHead
17th October 2008, 18:52
Nothing comes to mind. Perhaps meet at Mikes Famous HD in Smyrna? It is right off of 1. Exit at the 2nd Smyrna exit which is just before the dealership.

And I will be leaving closer to 3:00. My train home is 1:44, not 1:30.

kribit
17th October 2008, 18:56
That'll work. See you there.

ParrotHead
17th October 2008, 18:59
That'll work. See you there.

Great, see you there.

Screw Loose Dan
17th October 2008, 19:06
I'm trying to get outta here shortly, but need to make some stops. I'll try to meet you guys at Mike's. Text me if you guys leave before I get there, but don't wait.

kribit
17th October 2008, 19:06
Alright good thing I just looked that up. I didn't know where Smyrna was and assumed the Mike's right over the bridge. Didn't realize there was more than one.

kribit
20th October 2008, 00:19
Good weekend guys! I definitely need some heated gear though. My pictures are here (http://picasaweb.google.com/kristinmm/AssateagueIsland). There aren't too many but at least I got my camera out for once. :)

Screw Loose Dan
20th October 2008, 01:54
Definitely a good weekend, despite going to the wrong Mike's HD, the rain, the wind, and the cold. Good times. Did I mention how much I love wet sand??

I'm in Lexington, VA for the night (50 miles north of Roanoke, VA). Easy ride. Went through Washington, DC at about 75 mph and I didn't get blown off the Bay Bridge...so a good day. :) Got sunny shortly after getting off of Assateague. The wind died down somewhere near Washington.

Anyway, here's an album (http://www.dancunningham.net/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=27) of all the pictures I took. Below is a couple favs:

Parrothead on the Whitehaven Ferry
http://www.dancunningham.net/coppermine/albums/20081018-Assateague/normal_IMG_4981.jpg

Kribit on same ferry
http://www.dancunningham.net/coppermine/albums/20081018-Assateague/normal_IMG_4982.jpg

Our campsite on Assateague Island
http://www.dancunningham.net/coppermine/albums/20081018-Assateague/normal_IMG_4966.jpg

And yes, there were wild horses
http://www.dancunningham.net/coppermine/albums/20081018-Assateague/normal_IMG_4987.jpg

ParrotHead
20th October 2008, 02:21
It was a good trip, even though it rained Friday eve and was rather cold. At least there were no bugs! :laugh

Only took a few pics. Here is DRCSTANG on the ferry
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/cacomly/WhitehavenFerry2.jpg

And here is the ferry
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/cacomly/WhitehavenFerry.jpg

Brad
20th October 2008, 02:55
Looks like a good time. What's up with that campsite? You got your own runway?

ParrotHead
20th October 2008, 04:19
Looks like a good time. What's up with that campsite? You got your own runway?

Nope, just a nice piece of flat blacktop to park on.