PDA

View Full Version : A Little Help Gang

BWP 5p
23rd July 2006, 00:56
Please see my post in General about motor getting hot today. I need some help/opinions/advice from some Oily Experts!:p
Thanks
Bruce

XLFREAK
23rd July 2006, 01:01
sounds like maybe just running really lean. thats pretty much the only thing i could imagine that would generate that much heat. you say it wouldnt pull to redline. im thinking fuel starvation

BWP 5p
23rd July 2006, 02:51
AND WHY all of a sudden?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Petcock?????
Shit in the jet?!?!?!?!

XLFREAK
23rd July 2006, 02:58
Bruce, your right. it doesnt make sence. just all of a sudden lost power and started to get real hot i would think fuel or timing. maybe ignition module went full advance? maybe dirt in carb. this must be frustrating. wish i could just ride over and lend a hand. your about 750 miles away.

4banger
23rd July 2006, 03:10
That's what happens when your air filter gets plugged up but I don't know how that could happen on a street bike. Or your exhaust plugged up. Hope it's something simple though.

XLFREAK
23rd July 2006, 03:13
That's what happens when your air filter gets plugged up but I don't know how that could happen on a street bike. Or your exhaust plugged up. Hope it's something simple though.

not sure if plugged air filer would cause heat but plugged exhaust definitely would.

no need to comment...i saw "but plugged":roflblack

a45junkie
23rd July 2006, 03:21
plugged = rich right?

XLFREAK
23rd July 2006, 03:23
pugging air filter would choke carb causing rich

4banger
23rd July 2006, 03:52
Sorry if I was wrong, but I sure thought I remembered my dirt bikes running hot from a dirty air filter. That was long ago so I'm more than likely full of crap.

OldFenderGuy
23rd July 2006, 04:42
Air leak in the intake manifold?

Shu
23rd July 2006, 04:54
Bruce,

Chris had a good point about the seized piston. I'd run a compression test on it, oh and a leak down test.

If you get one REAL rich it'll cause excess heat from the excess full burning on the backside of the exhaust valve.

What did you do to make it start running fine again? Just shut it off and start it back up? that sounds like ignition. Might have been a little piece of crud in the float bowl, but that should have caused it to lean pop when you revved on it. How did it idle when it was over 300 degrees? Did it sound like the ignition timign was way off??? Might want to check your MAP sensor.

XLFREAK
23rd July 2006, 10:37
Sorry if I was wrong, but I sure thought I remembered my dirt bikes running hot from a dirty air filter. That was long ago so I'm more than likely full of crap.

hey didnt say your wrong, i sayed i wasnt sure if it would. but your defenitely correct about plgged exhaust.

gronk62
23rd July 2006, 10:47
Please see my post in General about motor getting hot today. I need some help/opinions/advice from some Oily Experts!:p
Thanks
Bruce

G'day Bruce.

Its a good idea to post a link to the thread you are refering to as it can sometimes be hard for others to find. Hot Bike (oil) ?????
(http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=33574)

BWP 5p
23rd July 2006, 15:03
Good Point Gronk!!!!!!!

And Shu, to answer your question......I didn't do a thing other than shut it off. I did start it relatively quickly to see if I had oil moving through the tank. It wasn't like a river was flowing through there......but there was no red light to indicate oil pressure issues. It seemed to run ok other than just real hot.....I don't think it was fuel related....unless it was just super lean. That's why I wondered if a bad petcock could cause it to lean out. Both cylinders had good fire....I started it on each cylinder and it was apparent they were both firing and running. Imagine if this happens a LONG way from home.....and doesn't self cure?