PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil

drummer5140
23rd July 2006, 16:10
WOW I changed the oil in my 05-1200 roadster yesterday to AMSOIL Synthetic 20W-50 from sync 3 from harley....Did i notice anything diffrent you ask. Well you bet,no more noise the motor sounds so much better with out all that racket. Who would have thought that by changeing the oil from one make to an other would have such a huge diffence in the way the bike runs. Needless to say i won't be going back to Sync3, :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana Have a :banana Ya can you tell am happy:clap

mikeLI_77
23rd July 2006, 17:04
Yeah it does help. Did you do the primary with the amsoil as well? It helps there also.

Kentucky
23rd July 2006, 17:13
I have one problem with Amsoil and it has nothing to do with the way it works. Try finding Amsoil for less than $6 a quart or in the middle of nowhere when you may need it. When I switched from Syn3 20w50 to Mobil1 15w50 I got the same results you have observed. Amsoil makes a great product no doubt, you just can't get it anywhere but their dealers. It reminds me of Amway, great products with no distribution.......

bplinson
23rd July 2006, 17:24
Become a Amsoil Preferred member and you can order it yourself. PM sportysrock for info.

gusotto
23rd July 2006, 17:35
My kid is an Amsoil dealer so he gave me an Amsoil filter and 3 qts. of oil for a present. I thanked him for the thought but mentioned I'd like to have 4 qts. 3 for the oil change and 1 to carry in case I needed to ever add.

Good kid but it's been a few years now and he always forgets the other qt. I've changed oil plenty of times since his "gift" but until I get the extra qt. for adding, I'll run the oil I can get locally without searching for a dealer. (My son lives 200 miles away)

Like you say, the oil has good reviews and fans but I need an oil that is EASILY purchased. I live in a 75K population town and I'm sure there are dealers (WHERE?) but I'm not about to drive to their house, hope they are home, just for some oil.

Hours & location are important. Like you say, just like an Amway dealer.....

lschultz
23rd July 2006, 19:28
Like was said above became a dealer (costs $10 for 6mos I think) and you get it cheaper and shipped to your address. Just keep you some on hand and then you can carry you and extra qt. with you when you want to. I carried a extra qt when we went to Sturgis last yr(son,I and a freind of his) but we did not have to add any. Carried that extra qt when I and my son went to Big Bend about a month ago. So far have not had to add any.

wagondog
23rd July 2006, 19:39
I have one problem with Amsoil and it has nothing to do with the way it works. Try finding Amsoil for less than $6 a quart or in the middle of nowhere when you may need it. When I switched from Syn3 20w50 to Mobil1 15w50 I got the same results you have observed. Amsoil makes a great product no doubt, you just can't get it anywhere but their dealers. It reminds me of Amway, great products with no distribution.......

Kentucky
My friend has one of those God awful big deisel Expeditions that has some stupid amount of oil in it. He is on a frequent buyer thing with Amsoil, costs him 25 bucks a year to register then the oil is like 5 bucks a quart. I ordered my last oil with his card and had the oil in one day UPS and I saved a substantial amount of money. So, if you can hook=up with someone else that uses Amsoil or you run it in other vehicles the 25 bucks may be worth it.
Wagondog

Mr Jimi
23rd July 2006, 19:45
Like Bert said, we have a supporting member that sells Amsoil and has good deals. His name is Sportysrock and his site is below
http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/member.php?u=3330
Thanks for your time
Jim:tour

gusotto
23rd July 2006, 20:05
[QUOTE=lschultz]Like was said above became a dealer (costs $10 for 6mos I think) and you get it cheaper and shipped to your address.QUOTE]
_______

I put on about 6K a year (riding season). That is about 2-3 oil changes. The $10 for 6 months "dealer" charge would nullify any savings. (Guess that would be $20 a year, even less of a savings if I was the only person using it and I don't intend to start providing oil to the locals.

Too many headaches for the "savings". To be legal & sell to others, I'd need a sales tax permit to charge tax (my son has a tax permit) and have to file extra on the income tax forms. Technically, you are calling yourself a "business". The government always wants the extra taxes.) Not worth the bother unless you want to really get into it deep.
I don't!

A local chain has started to sell Amsoil so if I really want any, I can buy it and save my $10 6 month or $20 for 12 months membership fee.

I was just bugging my son to provide a "complete" oil change kit present. Sometimes they forget.

whittenc
8th August 2006, 20:48
Don't want to start a huge debate about the frequency of oil change, but how do the prevailing winds blow on how often to change Amsoil in a Sportster?

A friend of mine, 25+ year Army Chief mechanic and Amsoil distributor, did a study for the Army on the benefits of synthetic lubricants, citing Amsoil intervals as the source for savings. He detailed how in regular automotive applications under close surveillance that vehicles could sometimes go 25K miles before requiring an oil change as certified by a laboratory.

Understanding the unique characteristics of twin engines I'm sure that 25K is silly, but Amsoil's website even recommends 10K @ https: //www . amsoil . com /lit / harley_davidson_TSB.pdf .

Just wondering how the more experienced Sportster owners see this. Given the additional protection of synthetic oil I hope that I can afford to keep my bike protected while not break the bank. (I'm a 10K plus per year commuting rider.) Thanks.

CBAS5
8th August 2006, 21:03
Don't want to start a huge debate about the frequency of oil change, but how do the prevailing winds blow on how often to change Amsoil in a Sportster?

5K Miles based on what HD says about syn3.

If this product is a high performance lubricant, why would my service intervals not be extended?

While SYN3 will help reduce the amount of impurities to your engine, no lubricant product can reduce fuel dilution (this happens every time you start your vehicle). As a result, the regular service schedule is recommended for optimum performance of your vehicle.

skratch
8th August 2006, 21:19
A friend of mine, 25+ year Army Chief mechanic and Amsoil distributor, did a study for the Army on the benefits of synthetic lubricants, citing Amsoil intervals as the source for savings. He detailed how in regular automotive applications under close surveillance that vehicles could sometimes go 25K miles before requiring an oil change as certified by a laboratory.

recommended oil change intervals are irrelevant. we test our oil at the lab and when there are too many ppm of something bad, we change the oil.... i've seen trucks go a couple of years without needing an oil change :wonderlan

Kentucky
9th August 2006, 02:00
To me, Amsoil simply isn't worth the hassle of ordering, shipping, added costs and above all, my time. Like I said before, Amsoil makes a good product however, it isn't so much better that I would go through all the steps required to get it. Then, what if I need it on the road, should I take a quart with me.... No, I should stay with Mobil1 and if I do need some I can get it at thousands of stores. Amsoil, Amway, Mary Kay, Avon, they're all great but who needss the hassle.... There are similar products on the market that are very good and while they don't say Amway, Amsoil or something else they do a great job and they are all available with no middleman.......

zooj7
9th August 2006, 02:35
Like if you lose a oil line. Where do you get the oil?? I use what I can get every where. Had a rock hit my drain line and started to leak. Glad that a walmart was close by. Got oil and fix for line.

AeroSport
9th August 2006, 04:28
I find that alot of the independent bike shops are carrying Amsoil now. Most of the sport bike shops carry it here in Vegas. Pretty easy to find in most major cities, and it can be mixed with any other kind of oil in a pinch.

darth
9th August 2006, 04:46
Just changed to Amsoil last week in both bikes. I had been running Syn 3, she was running dino oil. Wife and I just got back from a 4 day, 1300 mile trip. I'm happy with the results... both engines are quieter now, especially the wife's 2000. We put new cams in her bike last winter and it obviously made more internal noise, but it is quieter now. Her temperature gauge is running at least 10 degrees cooler also. Not sure if it's related or not, but both bikes had been getting approx. 45 to 47 mpg on both bikes. On this trip loaded with T-Bags, running some 70 to 75 mph stints, both bikes averaged just over 50 mpg.

Amsoil... Mobil 1... take your pick. I'm sold on the good synthetics. Rocky's in Flint, MI carries both at 8.49 per quart plus they give 10% of to CMA members.
:banana :banana :banana

spoofer
9th August 2006, 18:05
True Value in Lafayette, NY sells Amsoil.

Kentucky
10th August 2006, 02:39
Not sure if it's related or not, but both bikes had been getting approx. 45 to 47 mpg on both bikes. On this trip loaded with T-Bags, running some 70 to 75 mph stints, both bikes averaged just over 50 mpg

I get much better than 50 on a regular basis and pay $3.00 less a quart for Mobil1 which is available in Bumfuc Egypt......

sportysrock
14th August 2006, 01:32
I'm starting with a heartfelt thank you to the members who recommended people contact me about AMSOIL.

I get much better than 50 on a regular basis and pay $3.00 less a quart for Mobil1 which is available in Bumfuc Egypt......
We're not all here to convert you to AMSOIL, use what you want since you are pretty much decided against it.

Becoming a Preferred Customer and getting wholesale price is kind of like shopping at BJ's Wholesale or Sam's Club. It's $10.00 for 6 months to start, then $20.00 a year. Dealerships are for those that want wholesale prices, and the opportunity to make a couple of bucks selling AMSOIL products, and it is an extra $10.00 a year. Their 20W-50 is about $6.00 for members. If you order 4 or 5 quarts of oil and a filter as a Preferred Customer then you save enough to cover the customer fee.

They make A LOT more than just oil. They also have a line of nutritional supplements. You should check out their catalog. They have a new nanofiber line of air and oil filters that will kick the crap out of your NAPA line when comparing efficiency. The air filters are cleanable with a vacuum or low pressure air and will last 4 years saving you money. They also offer the same discounts on Bosch and Donaldson products where AMSOIL wouldn't offer a filter for an application.

Ordering is a piece of cake. If anyone is interested, I have easy ordering instructions. Their stuff will ship from a regional distribution center close to your location.

jms969
14th August 2006, 20:03

Understanding the unique characteristics of twin engines I'm sure that 25K is silly, but Amsoil's website even recommends 10K @ https: //www . amsoil . com /lit / harley_davidson_TSB.pdf .

Just wondering how the more experienced Sportster owners see this. Given the additional protection of synthetic oil I hope that I can afford to keep my bike protected while not break the bank. (I'm a 10K plus per year commuting rider.) Thanks.

Any good synthetic should easily blow away the 5K recommended change interval, however, two things occur with the 1927 era VTwin engine :roflblack #1 you tend to get quite a bit more fuel dilution and #2 if your scooter is still in warranty it won't be the oil type (Amsoil, Mobil 1 etc are fine) but the change interval that will determine if a warranty claim is challenged. IMHO I would suggest that you use a lubricant designed for the application and follow the recommended change intervals, at least until the warranty has lapsed.

Cheers,

JMS

DynamoBen
16th August 2006, 02:13
If you live in ND, MN, WI, or IA Fleet Farm carries Amsoil 20W-50.

biknut
21st September 2006, 08:06
Amsoil is made from Expensive Ester Stock. Harley Syn 3 is a cheaper "Blend". So is Mobil 1.

Navigator
21st September 2006, 09:00
Mobil 1 will do the same thing for $$$ less. Oil is oil. Synthetic is the difference. And 75w90 gear oil is better for the trans that synthetic.

Krayven Sumhead
21st September 2006, 11:21
I run Syn3 and Amsoil in both scoots. All three holes on T.Bagger and primary and engine on Heywood. I've mixed Syn3 and Amsoil together many times in a pinch. I bought 24 bottles of Amsoil for $5.35 per quart a year ago. I just had all primary seals replaced on T.Bagger. They put 1 quart of Syn3 into the primary. Cost from the 'stealer' was $16.50 per quart for Syn3. I'm buying some more Amsoil.

sportysrock
21st September 2006, 13:39
I seems all the synthetic motorcycle oils are running around $8.00 retail. A Preferred Customer gets AMSOIL for $6.80, $6.45 per Qt. for case of 12.

black-n-blue sporty
21st September 2006, 13:42
I really like Amsoils products. I have used it in most of my cars. I just changed the bike over about a month ago and love it. it did really take away a lot of the engine noise that you hear. glad you like it though.

biknut
29th September 2006, 20:28
I have over 200,000 miles experience with synthetics. Mostly Amsoil, Red Line and Mobil 1. When on the road you can mix any oil with synthetics.

The first one or two thousand miles all synthetics are close to the same. After that heat and the shearing action of gears takes a toll. Amsoil and Red Line are made from tougher ester base stock. It handles heat the best of all synthetic base stocks. Also ester stock is all long chain molecules so it takes longer to chop up in your engine. Mobil 1 and Syn 3 are cheaper "blends". In order to cut costs the manufacturers mix ester stock with weaker and less expensive synthetic base stocks. I use Mobil 1 in my work truck but I would NEVER use that crap in my beloved Sportster.

Here in Dallas Mobil 1 is about $6 in stores. I've even bought it in dollar stores for $1. Syn3 is $8 at the Harley shop. Red Line is $7.95. I haven't priced Amsoil in a few years but I think it's about $8 too.
I always buy a case of Red Line 20w50 and 75w90. I go 4 to 5 thousand miles between oil changes. I have to force myself to wait that long but when I change it less than that I always feel like a chump because it comes out looking like brand new. It doesn't even look dirty till after 5 thousand miles.

If you're using a blend and live in a hot climate I'd change every 2 thousand to 25 hundred miles just like normal. You'll still get longer engine life than from Dino oil but for the same cost why not just buy the best, and go longer between changes.

whispanic
29th September 2006, 20:51
I get my amsoil 20/50 for 6.49(i think) a quart.

If your a 15/50 mobil1 fan you can get Amsoil 15/50 for $4.75 a qt.

Thier AE filters are top notch.

Adios

klown
29th September 2006, 21:07
Thier AE filters are top notch.

How do you know thier filters are top notch? Has there been some independant study on them? I want to use thier filters, but I stick with k&n because of thier reputation. If you have some info on how good the amsoil fitlers are I would really like to see it as I have been trying to find some info on them filters for a while. My amsoil dealer says they are the shit, but he's trying to make money off of them. :roflblack

gamhill
29th September 2006, 21:56
... Has there been some independant study on them? I want to use thier filters, but I stick with k&n because of thier reputation. ...

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

This is one of several oil filter tests - there are others out there as well. I think it was last year, American Iron Mag published a pretty good article explaining the bypass valve in a filter, as well as filter quality.

I agree with what others have said reqarding Amsoil - I think they have a high quality product - and I don't wish to start "oil wars".

The oil compaines have made trying to understand oil too damn hard - (read: ours is best... their is :censor).

The only test results that I've seen of Amsoil vs Other brands has always been published by Amsoil.

Maybe since the otherbrands haven't publish their test results - we have our answer???

I use K&N filters on the bike, as well as the Jeep.

Surprized to see that local stores sell Amsoil - wonder if they are just dealers that sell the product in their store - of if Amsoil is starting to use local markets.

whispanic
29th September 2006, 22:00
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

Doesnt cover the AE filter. but read what is says about K&N!

whispanic
29th September 2006, 22:04
http://www.shoclub.com/lubrication-oil/lubrication-oilpart5.htm

msoil SDF34 (NOTE Amsoil has now, as of November 2005, brought out a new line of Ea branded oil filters with a synthetic nano-fiber technology. We feel these are a significant improvment over the paper or previous synthetic filter media and bring the Amsoil filter to the very top of the filter universe in quality.)

whispanic
29th September 2006, 22:05
I wish I could find out who makes these filters. I am leaning towards Donaldson.

Adios

klown
29th September 2006, 22:09
Thanks for the info. I've been using amsoil oil since I got the bike, seems like the filters are pretty good too. :smoke

whispanic
29th September 2006, 22:16
Thanks for the info. I've been using amsoil oil since I got the bike, seems like the filters are pretty good too. :smoke

Even made in "Murica" too.

I know you libs hate "murica" but I figure I oughta share that with ya!

Adios

klown
29th September 2006, 22:21
Even made in "Murica" too.

I know you libs hate "murica" but I figure I oughta share that with ya!

Adios
:roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack

Harvey Mushman
1st October 2006, 02:39
I'm no liberal, and I can tell you this. Mobil 1 is made in Amerika, and doesn't even come close to sounding like "Amway".

DynamoBen
1st October 2006, 02:51
I have a soft spot for Amsoil since its made here in WI.

AMSOIL INC.
AMSOIL Building
Superior, Wisconsin 54880
Phone: (715) 392-7101
Fax: (715) 392-5225

Kentucky
1st October 2006, 13:12
[QUOTE]Amsoil SDF34 (NOTE Amsoil has now, as of November 2005, brought out a new line of Ea branded oil filters with a synthetic nano-fiber technology. We feel these are a significant improvment over the paper or previous synthetic filter media and bring the Amsoil filter to the very top of the filter universe in quality.[Quote]

Well I hope to shout they feel that way. You would too if you were the one building the product.