PDA

View Full Version : Amount of Oil?

41caninek1
6th August 2006, 20:52
O.K....I feel like an idiot. This may already be on here but I missed it.
Help with the confusment, please. I changed my oil and filter on my '06 1200L and went by the owners manual. The engine was hot, I drained the oil and removed the filter. After putting 4oz, (more or less) of new oil in the filter, I put the remaining oil from that container in the oil tank. Two more quarts put it at the high side of the dip stick. That's a total of 3 quarts. What happened to the .6 that I'm supposed to add? As I said, the oil and engine was hot and it drained until nothing else was dripping from the hose. I thought if I got the new oil up to temp it may go down a bit and I could add the remaining .6 oz. Uh-Uh! Still on the top of the stick. Wa' happened??:frownone

Thanks,
Bob

GSB_77_XL
6th August 2006, 20:56
The .6 is prolly in the lines and some in the crank case. As long as its on the sticks full mark you are good to go.

4banger
6th August 2006, 20:59
Was your bike on the side stand when you drained the oil or level? Some have said more will come out on the side stand. But you can't get it all out. Mine only takes 3 qts. also.

41caninek1
6th August 2006, 21:07
It was on the side stand. I'm too lazy to hold it upright.....If you're good with 3 qts, I guess I'll not worry. I'm puking a LOT of oil through the AC and I know that too full can contribute to that so I was a little concerned about it being at the top of the stick. I mean A LOT of puking. On the heat shield, side cover, side of the seat and under my leg. Pulling the AC you can see where it's coming from the rear breather nipple. It may even be the "flapper" in the head. Thanks everyone for your quick answers. I appreciate it and will kinda' stop worrying.

4banger
6th August 2006, 21:14
When my bike is cold the oil level is 3/4 down and when hot it's 3/4 full and never leaks out any where so your good.

jwbradbury
6th August 2006, 21:24
After warming up, I put the bike in vertical position to drain, letting it sit a while on the lift to allow for slow final drips.

Once I've done the "oil in filter" routine and replaced the filter. I just fill the tank until the oil level is just below the filler opening. I don't use a dipstick, in fact, my cap doesn't even have one. I think many riders go with the service manual as far as the "exact" amounts, but these seem to be the same people complaining about overfill problems.

Each time I get ready for a ride, I visually check the oil level making sure it's still right at that same point... just below the cap opening. If it has dropped a little, I add just a touch more.

It's a '92 Hugger and it's been running fine a long time doing it that way.

- - - Ride safe... With fists in the wind.... :tour

J.W.

Jimbo999
6th August 2006, 21:33
Me 2,
Just stick 3 Qts in and look down the hole......Never a problem. My bike doesn't
burn oil anyway 3qts go in 2.90 qts come out at change time.
(37K miles) Runs BETTER than NEW !!!!
:tour

After warming up, I put the bike in vertical position to drain, letting it sit a while on the lift to allow for slow final drips.

Once I've done the "oil in filter" routine and replaced the filter. I just fill the tank until the oil level is just below the filler opening. I don't use a dipstick, in fact, my cap doesn't even have one. I think many riders go with the service manual as far as the "exact" amounts, but these seem to be the same people complaining about overfill problems.

Each time I get ready for a ride, I visually check the oil level making sure it's still right at that same point... just below the cap opening. If it has dropped a little, I add just a touch more.

It's a '92 Hugger and it's been running fine a long time doing it that way.

- - - Ride safe... With fists in the wind.... :tour

J.W.