PDA

View Full Version : Neat (no mess) Filter Removal

chupic
9th August 2006, 16:17
I came up with this the first time I did an oil change (Harley).

After seeing someone's bike back from the dealer and the whole lower front of motor is all black and underneath cause she road it home. I'm thinking what a mess and oil blowing back on the rear tire, there's got
be a better way.

First get the filter loose enough that you can spin off by hand.

Get some heavy paper (or a few layers of newspaper-not too thick) and
bend into a u shape (half tube). Slip it under the filter all the way to the mount.

It should reach out past the frame and have clear path to catch pan.

It won't have much slope so open slowly 'til it just trickles out.

Go open a beer and wait. The little extra time will be offset by not having
to spray Gunk and wash engine after oil change!

One of those thin plastic cutting boards would work great if you want a
permanent tool for your kit but it's another thing to clean. I prefer disposible.

Hope this helps!

sportymark
9th August 2006, 16:20
Good idea!

Trouble is I also saw this on the Sportster maintenance DVD (they used the oil filter box itself)!

raysheen
9th August 2006, 16:25
I like use a 2 liter soda bottle cut in half lengthwise and it works pretty well too :D

my only problem is that I don't drink soda :(

Casper
9th August 2006, 16:29
I think there's a thread or two around here (somewhere) about that. Much like John, the favoured method here seems to use a 2L coke bottle and cut the bottom off. That way it automatically funnels down through the top (assuming you figured out to remove the cap) and into your oil tray. Personally, I prefer using an old fabric softener bottle instead (given same treatment as the coke bottle), since it's got a built-in handle. You can call it lazy, I prefer to call it efficient! :D

...and John, what's with the avatar? Like one Gazza around here wasn't scary enough, now we need twins?? :spineyes

chupic
9th August 2006, 16:31
Here's a shot of a Road King. I used a second trough to get around the floorboard.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/P1010027.JPG

TheTick
9th August 2006, 16:44
I just put a plastic bag over the filter, and than remove it. All the oil and the filter drops right into the bag.

ed_in_az
9th August 2006, 17:24
Paper plate

Who doesn't have those?

Fold it in 1/2

Cut about 1" - 2" off either folded end

Put cut end under filter

There's your trough for the oil

Cheap easy no mess.

:clap

XLFREAK
9th August 2006, 18:00
i call it rust prevention. i let it flow and wipe up what i see. i dont spray brakeclean or anything else. keeps the black cases looking black

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/bike_pics_019.jpg

chrishajer
9th August 2006, 19:50
. Personally, I prefer using an old fabric softener bottle instead (given same treatment as the coke bottle), since it's got a built-in handle.
Does it matter if it's Mountain Spring, Clean Breeze, Soft Ocean Mist, Tropical Clean, Free & Sensitive, Citrus & Light, Spring & Renewal, Meadows & Rain,
Fresh Linen, Vanilla & Lavender, Water Lily & Jasmine, Rose & Violet or Magnolia & Orange Blossom

--Chris

SportsterBart
9th August 2006, 19:55
Does it matter if it's Mountain Spring, Clean Breeze, Soft Ocean Mist, Tropical Clean, Free & Sensitive, Citrus & Light, Spring & Renewal, Meadows & Rain,
Fresh Linen, Vanilla & Lavender, Water Lily & Jasmine, Rose & Violet or Magnolia & Orange Blossom

--Chris

I use the jumbo size Massengill bottles. My ex-girlfriend left a few around. :laugh

Bart

chrishajer
9th August 2006, 19:56
I'm glad you said "EX". Nice avatar too.

--Chris