PDA

View Full Version : Hype? Bull$hit...it is the truth!

giveme2wheels
15th August 2006, 03:47
The sporty has ben running like crap. Loud top end, idling funny, etc. I checked the oil on Saturday and was suprised at how dark (and kinda low) it was (black and obviously in need of a change). The kicker is that I just bought it (with 4398 miles) from the stealer and figured the oil had been changed. Nope. We made an emergency stop at Wally-Mart, popped in an emergency dino quart and some Lucas oil stabilizer, and rode home. I was pissed off...

Today my brother and I went and picked up (per the feedback of the forum) some Mobil 1 Gold Cap 15-50 and a # 1215 Napa filter. Changing the filter was a nightmare, broke a wrench and finally used a screwdriver to twist it off. The # 1215 got a sip of synthetic, some on the seal and went right on with a "I" type wrench I picked up at Auto Zone (5 bucks, fits right on the end of any 3/8ths ratchet, get one). I put the worm clamp back on (after cussing damned placement of the drain--who in their right friggin' mind placed it right there and that tight!?!)and noticed where my oil leak was. The joker who did the last oil change hadn't tightened the worm clamp down enough and the entire area was covered with crusty oil drippings. I wiped all that off, then I dropped in the oil bag about 3 1/4 quarts of 15-50 and about 4 oz Lucas oil stabilizer.

We fired it up and my jaw dropped in shock. Absolutely zero noise. NO NOISE! Unbelievable!! I had always figured that the noise from the top end was the nature of the sporty beast. Now I can hear my pipes clearly and I have no noisy feedback from the top end.

I rode down to the Video store (DVD store? Whatchacallit? Am I getting old??) on State Street and the responsiveness is just unbelievable. It feels like a new bike...it felt...confident.

I am SOLD on synthetics, and sold on the fact that I must always double check others work when it comes to my bike.

A big thanks to all ya'll on the forum. :clap Gonna do the rejet next (maybe tomorrow, it came in the mail today!).

-Jay :tour

EDIT: I realize that the poor performace was due to the fact that the old oil, judging from it's state, was past its functional stage (broken down).

-Jay

Clarinetcat
15th August 2006, 03:52
We fired it up and my jaw dropped in shock. Absolutely zero noise. NO NOISE! Unbelievable!! I had always figured that the noise from the top end was the nature of the sporty beast. Now I can hear my pipes clearly and I have no noisy feedback from the top end.

Excuse me? No lifter noise? Surely, you jest!
And yes, I just called you surely...

Even with my <ahem> slightly loud Samson Big Guns, I can STILL hear my lifters mixed in with the pipe/engine rumble. Maybe I'll use synthetics next oil change... or sooner.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/thumbs/Cat_Burglar.jpg 2006 Sportster 1200 Custom, Vivid Black
Taxes paid: Ness Big Sucker, Samson BigGuns3 Slashers, HONK HONK Stebel AirHorn :burnout
Cat's Litter Box (http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=8623)
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/Let_Me_Out.jpg Let me OUT! I wanna go ride my Sporty!
Got a cat the other day. Had to swerve to get it, but I got it.

Gone
15th August 2006, 04:02
Seems a little early to be broken down that bad, assuming someone at least changed it at the 1K interval (or maybe even later? or earlier?) and according to your description, the worm clamp was loose indicating a change had been done. I did my first oil change at 800 miles and it came out looking pretty darn good. I'll change it again before I put it up for the winter. Glad it's working good for you now without any bad consequences.

Roadster_Rider
15th August 2006, 04:08
If they did the 1k 4300 miles isnt very much, and you shouldnt use the gold cap, too many detergents. You should use the V-twin, its just a couple bucks more any way. You can use the V-twin in the tranny/primary with no problems, but i use M1 75w/90 syn gear oil. I dont know about the filter, i personally wouldnt use anything other than whats specified for a motorcycle.

OldFenderGuy
15th August 2006, 05:38

Even with my <ahem> slightly loud Samson Big Guns, I can STILL hear my lifters mixed in with the pipe/engine rumble. Maybe I'll use synthetics next oil change... or sooner.

I believe in running good synthetic fluids, but quite a bit of the 'quieting of the top end' has to do with using a couple ounces of the Lucas Oil Stabilizer at each oil change.

It's great stuff, learned about it a long time ago from truckers and some race car drivers I know, and around here most of us have been using it in our Harley's for years. Around here we do a lot of extended riding in 100+ degree weather, sometimes for weeks on end, and I just like the extra protection the Lucas provides.

It doesn't take a lot, and I normally add between 3 to 4 ounces at each oil/filter change. Besides helping to eliminate dry starts, it will help to quiet the top end. Best results are usually noticed after running it for a hundred miles or so.

Right now my bike is tuned for the open exhaust system I'm running (no baffles/restrictors), but when I first got the 1200C it had a much quieter system, and when I changed oil and gave it a shot of Lucas the reduction in valve noise was very obvious.

http://dogsdoom.com/PI/1200sig101.jpg

whispanic
15th August 2006, 05:55

Amen brother!

A swear after nearly a year my scoot is about to explode!

Anyways...I run Syn3 and sooner as I get the ching Im will run some AMSOIL.

If you want some go HERE... http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/member.php?u=3330

I think the Lucas helped too...I gunne get me some.

Adios

CBAS5
15th August 2006, 06:02
I read about lucas, but here is what I found about it on the internet. Of course, this is nothing more than some guy with a site that posts stuff so the credibility isn't exactly there:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Kentucky
15th August 2006, 14:41
If they did the 1k 4300 miles isnt very much, and you shouldnt use the gold cap, too many detergents. You should use the V-twin, its just a couple bucks more any way. You can use the V-twin in the tranny/primary with no problems, but i use M1 75w/90 syn gear oil. I dont know about the filter, i personally wouldnt use anything other than whats specified for a motorcycle.

I know this is going to open a can of worms but "too many detergents," this I have got to hear so what's up with that?????

If you won't use a filter that isn't specified for a motorcycle, why would you use a gear lube that isn't specified for your primary on that same motorcycle???

jms969
17th August 2006, 17:16
I read about lucas, but here is what I found about it on the internet. Of course, this is nothing more than some guy with a site that posts stuff so the credibility isn't exactly there:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Bob the Oil Guy has been around for ages and usually is spot on with his analysis... :clap

hybriDatsun350
17th August 2006, 17:37
I know this is going to open a can of worms but "too many detergents," this I have got to hear so what's up with that?????

If you won't use a filter that isn't specified for a motorcycle, why would you use a gear lube that isn't specified for your primary on that same motorcycle???

First of all, they say not to use car oil in bikes. I don't know exactly why, but if even one guy says he's had issues with it than I am not going to take the chance! I am sure a bike will run fine with car oil in it, but why take the chance?

Second, gear oil is a little different than engine oil and filters. Gears are gears, but an engine has specific needs that must be payed attention to. Would you put a Fram filter and Chevron 20w50 in your Corvette when you know you should be running Mobil 1 and an AC delco filter? No of course not, but thats because you know what it needs and your not gonna go cheap and save a little money just to see decreased engine life and performance. The proper filter and oil should always be used and I will always use HD filters in my HD with the recommended oil to keep my motor running strong. Just thought I'd share a bit of info with ya! :)

thunderpaw
18th August 2006, 01:49
Mobil 1 gold cap is fine. Period.

Kim

avnsteve
18th August 2006, 02:24
I'm skeptical about the no noise from the top end. If my bike were to get that quiet, I'd either be switching to reserve or pulling over, fearing something wrong. I have gotten used to the sound of the valve train and such, to the point that I can almost HEAR when it's time for another 1/2 quart. It talks to me, and like many an ex-wife, when she stops talking, I know something's wrong.

giveme2wheels
18th August 2006, 04:18
LOL Steve, that is a funny analogy.

You are right, it is much quieter than before, and my statement of no noise needs to be taken in context.

Before the oil change, the top end was like a bunch of non-savant 3rd graders playin Miles Davis' Nefertiti (sounded like noisy shoit). Now it sounds like Wynton Marsalis and his band doing the most jaw-droppin redition of Freddie Freeloader you ever heard.

What once before was noise now sounds like a (ahem) well oiled machine ;)

-Jay