PDA

View Full Version : 4 qt oil change

Henny_Oldman
16th August 2006, 15:23
I have the book 101 projects for evos and big twins. In one section it says to do a 5 qt oil change on the big twin every 10k. leave the filter off and run the bike until the sludge drains out.

The book doesn't mention doing this on the sporty though. Do any of you folks do a 4qt. change on the sportster? Those who have did a great amount of splooge cum out of the oil filter opening?

Thx

gusotto
16th August 2006, 15:30
Do frequent scheduled oil changes with a good oil and you won't have sludge.

pauldmedic16
25th August 2006, 03:17
the Manuel states 3.6 qts..i just changed mine about 3 weeks ago , only put in 3 qts and have a lot less oil blow by...

IronMick
25th August 2006, 03:27
That sludge info is from the old days. Modern oils do not do that. It used to be recommended also to rinse the oil tank with kerosene to get rid of the sludge. Do not need to do that anymore either.

1980 and maybe a few other years take 4 quarts. Most take 3.

jms969
25th August 2006, 15:17
That sludge info is from the old days. Modern oils do not do that. It used to be recommended also to rinse the oil tank with kerosene to get rid of the sludge. Do not need to do that anymore either.

Good point Mick, with a good modern syn and regular changes, your engine will be clean as a whistle (inside that is) :leekguit

f1jim
25th August 2006, 15:41
Has nothing to do with Syn or Dino....
Almost all oils now are "HD" or High Detergent. This keeps gunk in suspension and out the drain plug with an oil change. The old non-detergent oils meant much more frequent changes or sludge was a reality. The vast majority of four-stroke oils have been high detergent since the 70's.
Jim Brown

wilson_nick_w
25th August 2006, 15:48
i have an 05 883 and the service manual says in one place 4qts and in another 3.6 plus 4 ounces you're supposed to put in the filter... that ads up to like 3.7qts. Is there anything bad that could come from overfilling the oil? if so i need to take out .3qts....

indyrednek
25th August 2006, 16:02

Sludge is still a problem these days.
Just as long as you do 2500 mile oil changes with good oil you shouldn't have a problem.

sportysrock
25th August 2006, 16:18
i have an 05 883 and the service manual says in one place 4qts and in another 3.6 plus 4 ounces you're supposed to put in the filter... that ads up to like 3.7qts. Is there anything bad that could come from overfilling the oil? if so i need to take out .3qts....

YES!
Like most machines too much oil is a bad thing. In this case oil will blow off through the breather system, and end up in your air cleaner and down the side of your bike. Not good and potentially very dangerous, so a little less is better than full or over full.

Most rubbermount Sporties like 3 quarts

jms969
25th August 2006, 16:20
Has nothing to do with Syn or Dino....
Almost all oils now are "HD" or High Detergent. This keeps gunk in suspension and out the drain plug with an oil change. The old non-detergent oils meant much more frequent changes or sludge was a reality. The vast majority of four-stroke oils have been high detergent since the 70's.
Jim Brown

That is why I used the term modern (an oil with a good additive package including the proper detergents)... But if you will remember Toyota had a huge sludge problem with engines manufactured from the mid 80's until mid 90's... A big piece of that problem was from dino oils and of course lack of a regular change interval.

All I am trying to say is use a good modern oil (synthetics only for me), change it on a regular basis and you will be golden. :D

jms969
25th August 2006, 16:22
YES!
Like most machines too much oil is a bad thing. In this case oil will blow off through the breather system, and end up in your air cleaner and down the side of your bike. Not good and potentially very dangerous, so a little less is better than full or over full.

Most rubbermount Sporties like 3 quarts

I run my oil level right in the middle of the dipstick. With a filter change that is a little over 3 qts... A little low is always better than a little over full...

IMHO,

JMS