PDA

View Full Version : What lubes to use?

Troy74
20th August 2006, 13:49
HI there

while im tackling the primary issue, I thought I would ask advice on which oils to use in my 03 1200s - as Im riding an american bike in England It'll be good if I could get some recommendations. Whats the best engine oil to use? are there separate oils for the transmission and primary?

thanks

Mattbastard
20th August 2006, 14:28
Sporttrans in the primary, HD 20W-50 in the oil bag.

But i'm sure there's MANY other opinions on this.:p

gusotto
20th August 2006, 14:42
There are two holes for lubrication. One for the engine and the tranny/primary share the same fluid.

You'll get scads of "best oils" recommendations, everybody thinking their choice is the best.

Your Sporty came from the factory with 1 qt. of Sport-Trans in the tranny/primary. No longer being sold by the dealers unless you find some old stock on a shelf.
The replacement fluid from Harley is now Formula+.
The engine came with 3 qts. of 20W50 oil, referred to as "dino" oil. (not synthetic.)

Factory now ok's 20W50 synthetic oil. In fact the dealers sell it. SYN3 is the factory brand.

The nice thing about synthetic is the engines run cooler. Also suppose to be able to run longer change intervals but most people change fluids (engine & tranny) at about 2500-3000 miles. You "can" run longer but the important part of an oil change is getting rid of the contaminants in the oil. Oil is the life-blood of your pride and joy. Help it along and change the oil to protect your investment.
Also a plus is you can run the same synthetic in both the engine & tranny. Saves buying two types of oil. Now you only need one.

You're in England.
I hear prices you pay overseas are higher (much) than what we pay in the states. Price may govern your choice of oils. I don't know what's availabe there.

On this forum, you'll read about plenty of "best" oils. Read up, ask other riders, see what you can find for sale and go with what you think is best.
Nothing wrong with dino oil. The bike came from the factory with it in the engine. Synthetic is good also but the price of a qt. is always much higher than dino oil. Sometimes double the price. (Dino oil is regular oil, not synthetic.)

Frequent changes are the most important part of maintaining your bike.
I have an 2002 an have run both dino, semi-synthetic and synthetic. All three worked well.
The semi-synthetic (Spectro Golden American 20W50) and synthetic (SYN3 20W50) both gave me cooler running temperatures.

I'm still running Sport-Trans in the transmission/primary. I've tried Rev Tec Sportster oil also. Can't tell any difference but I prefer to run an oil that's specifically designated for the Sportster.
Not a fan of "one-size-fits-all".

Good luck with riding.

Troy74
20th August 2006, 15:35
I can get Amsoil oil here which seems to have a good rep - its either that or go to the HD dealer and buy their brands. I was going to use Amsoil SAE 10W-40 in the primary and SAE 20W-50 in the engine as this was what someone suggested or can I use the 20W-50 in both? To be honest there isnt much choice over here in England for some of the oils that have been recommended.
Again just wanted to say thanks to all for your advice and help - this is a fantastic forum and its really helped me.

Troy

gusotto
20th August 2006, 15:47
You can use the same Amsoil 20W50 in the primary. Saves buying two grades of oil.
Works for Amsoil and other brands.

kmm0000
20th August 2006, 16:24
http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/

Navigator
21st August 2006, 10:53
Any synthetic oil is better than dino oil keep it close to 20w50. Amsoil's good Mobil 1 has 15w50 etc. etc. it does not need to be motorcycle specific oil. For the tranny I use gear oil 75w90 again synthetic. Shifts smooth as butter

fatal
22nd August 2006, 17:21
See if there is a 'Rock Oil' distributor near where you live. I have used their 20/50 Guardian semi-synthetic oil for many years in my BMW boxer twins, and previously in my Harley FXDX Superglide Sport. It is well up to the job of lubing the engine.
Another consideration is the 'Rock Oil' motorcycle specific Sigma 15/50 engine oil, as it is compatible for wet clutches and for use in motorcycles that have combined engine/gearbox lubrication systems. I have several litres of this stuff left over and intend to use it in the engine and primary/tranny on my XL1200R. I used to put the stuff in my Aprilia Tuono Factory, it's certainly up to the job!

sportysrock
25th August 2006, 20:09
I can get Amsoil oil here which seems to have a good rep - its either that or go to the HD dealer and buy their brands. I was going to use Amsoil SAE 10W-40 in the primary and SAE 20W-50 in the engine as this was what someone suggested or can I use the 20W-50 in both? To be honest there isnt much choice over here in England for some of the oils that have been recommended.
Again just wanted to say thanks to all for your advice and help - this is a fantastic forum and its really helped me.

Troy

Use 20W-50 in the primary not the 10W-40.