PDA

View Full Version : Lo-jack question

ImAHighSamurai
6th December 2008, 00:36
I have done LOTS of research and it appears that lo-jack is a good service that offers a decent product and decent results should your bike be stolen.

My some of questions are

-how much does it cost to install
-every 2 years it needs to be inspected for the warranty to be valid how much does that cost
-Do any of you have Lo-jack installed on your bikes and if so is it as hard to identify as they say it is
-There are no dealers within the area code 15656 (where i live) anyone know of any in the general western PA/WVA/Eastern Ohio who do motorcycles

Stang951
6th December 2008, 00:43
I was thinking of getting the Lojack myself, but I keep forgetting to call the one place in my area that does it. That and it is a Big Dog dealership. Not too fond of bringing my bike there. I've heard they have some pretty incompetent people at the one here.

gusotto
6th December 2008, 00:53
I thought about getting (maybe) but when I checked Iowa coverage, there wasn't any coverage.

Only any good if there is coverage so check it out.

Bob F
6th December 2008, 00:54
I've heard they have some pretty incompetent people at the one here.

These are the people your considering to protect your scoot????
:roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack

Stang951
6th December 2008, 00:57
That's the one listed in my area.....I'm gonna call them for a price. Then hunt a little further from home.

ImAHighSamurai
6th December 2008, 00:59
Hey bob are there any within 100MI of your zipcode cause your a good 30 miles to my south west if i remember correctly

Bob F
6th December 2008, 01:35
I don't know. But I'm very curious too now. I'll be researching this. I subscribed to this thread so I can look in to it further (I'm kinda drunk now). PM me with any questions or comments.

ol38y
6th December 2008, 02:24
Lojack is a good thing to a point. The first point is they have to have coverage in your area. Their coverage areas are very limited. They will sell it to you in any area but they may not cover your area. I looked into it 10 years ago for my backhoe. Thay would sell it to me and install it, but their coverage did not cover my area. Their problem as I see it is they are cell towers and not satelite which limits their coverage. Also remember that if they cover your city and someone takes your bike out of the coverage area they don't know where it is. Just my 2c.

Larry

ImAHighSamurai
6th December 2008, 02:56
I don't know. But I'm very curious too now. I'll be researching this. I subscribed to this thread so I can look in to it further (I'm kinda drunk now). PM me with any questions or comments.

... and you dident invite me?¿?

Now im curious as to how the signal gets to the bike to activate the FM transmitter. If lo-jack is able to use Cell towers from for example Verizon, ATnT, and other cell companys to send out the signal then theres a decent chance you have signal almost anywhere. On the other hand if its only Lo-jack towers then as ol38y said it does no good to us folks in the middle of nowhere

biknut
6th December 2008, 03:40
lo-jack is old technology. You can't track your own bike with lo-jack, only the police can and not all departments are able to do it.

The limitations of Lojack

In regards to some of Lojack's limitations first you have to understand the technology. Lojack bases its tracking device off of WWII triangulation techniques, which produces a smaller footprint than cellular based tracking devices.

Lojack is also limited to roughly 26 markets nationally. This means that if you are traveling to locations outside of those markets you have no service. Lojack is also limited to whichever municipality within those markets that have their devices operational on the police vehicles. For example in the Houston market of the 3200 police cruisers in their fleet only 27 are equipped with Lojack transponders. In the Dallas market at any one time there are only 12-15 police cruisers on the street that have the ability to track with Lojack.

A better idea now days is a motorcycle gps tracker. Take a look at something like this.

http://www.bikebone.com/GPS-tracking-&-recovery-system-review.htm

biknut
6th December 2008, 05:16
Here's one I've been considering.

http://gpsprotected.com/solutions/motorcycle.html

Here's a thread I started a while back.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=187403

ImAHighSamurai
6th December 2008, 07:33
I really appricate those links, that system looks to be much more useful than lo-jack is and the fact that i can look at a map/route of where i rode any given day is almost worth it alone but the security aspect and the system sending me txt messages is another benifit

biknut
6th December 2008, 15:06
I really appricate those links, that system looks to be much more useful than lo-jack is and the fact that i can look at a map/route of where i rode any given day is almost worth it alone but the security aspect and the system sending me txt messages is another benifit

I talked to the owner of Gps Protected on the phone. He told me that when the system is installed and turned on, your bike would be inside a protective circle of a size you decide. If your bike moves outside that circle you are sent a texted message on you cell phone that your bike has been moved. You can then either start tracking it yourself of call the Gps company to track it for you. They will call the police of you can just have that done automatically, or you can call the police. It's up to you how you want the system to work. He claimed there's no place in the whole country where it wouldn't work.

The unit is about the size as a pack of cigarettes. It costs about $400. Then you have to pay for tracking. He said they have a lot of different plans, starting with unlimited tracking down to 7-10 times a month. He said after the novelty wears off you probably won't track your own bike very much. I think up to 10 trackings a month was about $7.95 a month

He said the company has never lost an asset. He said they mainly sell these things to rental company's and trucking company's. They used to cost over $1000 but then these little ones were invented and the cost came down. Now they're trying to sell more of them for motorcycles.

If you want you don't have to call the police at all. you can just show up where you bike is with your friend, Smith and Wesson and start talking loud. :)

Bob F
6th December 2008, 15:20
Thanks Biknut. Good info.

2000M2
2nd March 2011, 19:12
I used to sell lojack, I wouldn't suggest it to anyone.

khaskins
2nd March 2011, 21:25
I saw the plans on how to make one yourself with an old cellphone and a cheap plan from PCS. You call the cellphone that is hidden and wired to the bike and then you can track it with the pin number. This is doable for a lot less money.

2000M2
2nd March 2011, 22:21
I saw the plans on how to make one yourself with an old cellphone and a cheap plan from PCS. You call the cellphone that is hidden and wired to the bike and then you can track it with the pin number. This is doable for a lot less money.

That would be a much better set up then lo-jack.
If you only seen how lojack actully works, you'd say to yourself what good is it.

krono
9th June 2011, 21:10
-how much does it cost to install

was free with the purchase of the bike

-every 2 years it needs to be inspected for the warranty to be valid how much does that cost

is every 3 months here (sucks), and is free

-Do any of you have Lo-jack installed on your bikes and if so is it as hard to identify as they say it is

on 2 of my 4 bikes, yes it is hard, I have searched for it and cant found it, but on a bike friend we do found it, so is as hard as you hide it (they hide it)

is a good service, but sometimes they have incompetent installers that leave your bike badly assembled, and also the 3 months service is annoying... (Im in Argentina, probably you have 2 years)

I have lo jack, but also common sense, I have 5 locks on my bike (2 disck locks, 1 U lock , 1 chain , 1 "new york" lock, xena disck lock with alarm), and chained to a structural column, theft insurance, and probably will add a backup GPS device too

I should purchase the harley alarm, but is way too expensive (like 500 usd here)

I would like to add a remote detonator too, but that would probably put me in some black list :)