PDA

View Full Version : Sea Foam and Deep Creep?

rshute4
21st September 2006, 19:53
I noticed in a previous post that a newer member mentioned "sea foam" and "deep creep" they had posted positive results with this product...

POST: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=38218&highlight=seafoam

Has anyone else had any good or bad results from these products?

Seems like it would be worth while to use them, as i had a lot of crabon buildup in my carb, and we get crappy gas in AZ as it is... and would like to prevent or nip any problems in the bud...

chrishajer
21st September 2006, 22:57
I put seafoam in my engine oil and soon after my front exhaust lifter roller failed. Coincidence? I think NOT! :p

--Chris

a45junkie
21st September 2006, 23:16
i thot it was supposed to go in the gas tank i used it on my bosses boat engine with no ill effects

Tracker
21st September 2006, 23:29
I've used Seafoam in my gas for years now and it does a great job keeping the carb clean inside. I also had a old Yamaha that the carbs were all varnished up, and the Seafoam broke all the "crud" loose and I was able to get the carbs working like new.

barnes138
21st September 2006, 23:33
never heard of the stuff, sounds like names of colors to me

cantolina
22nd September 2006, 02:09
I CAN say that "deep creep" has replaced any penetrating oils that I had...stuff works like MAGIC!

Gone
22nd September 2006, 03:03
You can get the Sea Foam and Deep Creep at Napa Auto Parts; it is for fuel systems, not oil systems.

Directions are on the can; Deep Creep is the aerosol version of Sea Foam.

david
22nd September 2006, 03:29
Deep Creep has worked wonders for me.

rshute4
22nd September 2006, 07:17
:bump :bump

Bikerdude
22nd September 2006, 13:29
I've used Seafoam in my gas for years now and it does a great job keeping the carb clean inside. I also had a old Yamaha that the carbs were all varnished up, and the Seafoam broke all the "crud" loose and I was able to get the carbs working like new.

BOTH are excellant products..I've used them and Marvel Mystery Oil a long time.

Gone
22nd September 2006, 13:46
One thing I should have added but forgot. When you do the Deep Creep and/or Sea Foam to decarbon the engine (valves, combustion space, etc.), you should change the oil. The carbon will wind-up in the oil; take the "spirited ride" (it may smoke a bit) and then change the oil.

Best of luck,

Edit: just reread the post; did I mention to change the oil? :roflblack

cantolina
22nd September 2006, 13:49
You can get the Sea Foam and Deep Creep at Napa Auto Parts; it is for fuel systems, not oil systems.

Directions are on the can; Deep Creep is the aerosol version of Sea Foam.

Not from what I understand....

SEA FOAM WEBSITE (http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm)

Sea Foam MAKES Deep Creep, but it is a multi-purpose penetrating and lubricating oil....

It can be used in the intake, but nowhere on the can does it mention using it in the tank.....

Who said anything about oil systems? Did I miss something?

smoke
22nd September 2006, 14:00
I have used Sea Foam for years in small engines, autos and motorcycles with no problems. In my mowers, I put a little Sea Foam in the last fill up of the year and they fire up every spring, no problem.

avnsteve
22nd September 2006, 14:33
sea foam revived my 84 goldwing, it's great on fuel systems

mtbikerinme83
22nd September 2006, 20:06
along with changing the oil after using seafoam, you may find that a new set of spark plugs is very helpful too

Gone
23rd September 2006, 00:03
Not from what I understand....

SEA FOAM WEBSITE (http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm)

Sea Foam MAKES Deep Creep, but it is a multi-purpose penetrating and lubricating oil....

RTFC (. . . . can) Penetrating Lubricant/cleaner/drier . . as you said . . . but
Air intake cleaner . . . carbon cleaner . . . engine fogging

It can be used in the intake, but nowhere on the can does it mention using it in the tank.....

I didn't say Deep Creep goes in the tank; read the instructions on each can . . Sea Foam gets sucked-in through the vacuum line to the manifold (on a car/truck with vacuum brake booster)/gas tank . . . the Deep Creep is sprayed in the carb/throttle body.

Who said anything about oil systems? Did I miss something?

refer to chris hajers post . . . lifter roller failed . . . coincidence . . . ?

My next-best off-hand product, as was already mentioned, is Marvel Mystery Oil. But, that's another thread.

mtnbikerinme83 -
Good point about the plugs, too. Some folks worry about the O2 sensors getting damaged when you use Deep Creep; the decarboning process may cause the damage if excessive amounts get on the sensor.

Also, I would definitely not use it on the MAF sensor.

kballowe
28th September 2006, 00:26
I have used Sea Foam for years in small engines, autos and motorcycles with no problems. In my mowers, I put a little Sea Foam in the last fill up of the year and they fire up every spring, no problem.

+1

Better than Sta-Bil for stabilizing fuel over the winter months

Hammer of God
28th September 2006, 06:14
Sea Foam should go in oil only right before ( like around the block right before) oil change. I dont ever use SeaFoam for oil changes myself though.

SeaFoam in gas rocks for clean carbs, and to dry fuel system out!!

Saggi

rigidpanman
20th February 2007, 21:44
i have to use seafoam in my honda if it sits for a month or so.good stuff.

SaltLick
21st February 2007, 05:14
**This is only to clean out your gas tank if its rusted, not meant for carbs or fuel system!**

"The Works" toilet bowl cleaner from K-Mart. $1.99 a bottle, get two bottles and dump that in your tank, fill it up to the top with warm water. Let sit for an hour shaking your tank every 15 minutes. Pour it all out and wash out tank throughly with warm water a couple of times, dry your tank out with a hair dryer, and fog with WD-40. Then top your tank off with fresh gas. Your tank will look like shiny new bare metal. I have derusted 2 completely rusted tanks from the 70's with that stuff, works like a charm.
Be sure to remove your petcock first, and plug up the hole with something. If your tank is lightly rusted, one bottle and 30 minutes will do. Be careful, this will completely remove all rust, so if your tank is so rusted that the rust is holding it together, or the rust has created pinholes, you will now have a completely shiny bare metal tank that is leaking out of a bunch of pinholes.....i doubt that will be the case though if your just trying to get rid of surface rust. I dealt with heavily rusted tanks from the 70's.

buckhorns
25th February 2007, 23:44
I ran Sea Foam thru my lawn mower motor gas tank and it really helped clean out the carbon. Put a half a can in my pick up, ran the tank out and changed oil. Noticed that the engine ran smoother.

I use STP gas treatment regularly in any gas engines I have and it keeps the fuel systems cleaned out and water free and stablizes the gas good enough to sit thru the winter. Have used the STP for 25 years or more. I highly reccomend it. I know there are other products on the market but this has been my choice over the years.

My pennys worth.

Hot Rod Sporty
28th February 2007, 04:35
I put seafoam in my engine oil and soon after my front exhaust lifter roller failed. Coincidence? I think NOT! :p

--Chris

:buddies :lmaorof :smackh :doh :shhhh

Dude, I swear I'm laughing WITH you ........ not AT you............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......I think NOT!

Prebs
1st March 2007, 13:55
.. I'm curious. how often are you suppose to use this stuff? I have never heard of it. Do u do it every so many months? every fill up??

rider29206
1st March 2007, 14:54
Never heard of it so I guess I have never had a need for it. No idea what it function is. If i need some Sea Foam I am only about 3 hours to Myrtle Beach

loki03xlh
1st March 2007, 16:51
I use it once a year in my truck, and use it once in the fall and spring in my bike.

Scooter_Trash
1st March 2007, 16:56
**This is only to clean out your gas tank if its rusted, not meant for carbs or fuel system!**

"The Works" toilet bowl cleaner from K-Mart. $1.99 a bottle, get two bottles and dump that in your tank, fill it up to the top with warm water. Let sit for an hour shaking your tank every 15 minutes. Pour it all out and wash out tank throughly with warm water a couple of times, dry your tank out with a hair dryer, and fog with WD-40. Then top your tank off with fresh gas. Your tank will look like shiny new bare metal. I have derusted 2 completely rusted tanks from the 70's with that stuff, works like a charm.
Be sure to remove your petcock first, and plug up the hole with something. If your tank is lightly rusted, one bottle and 30 minutes will do. Be careful, this will completely remove all rust, so if your tank is so rusted that the rust is holding it together, or the rust has created pinholes, you will now have a completely shiny bare metal tank that is leaking out of a bunch of pinholes.....i doubt that will be the case though if your just trying to get rid of surface rust. I dealt with heavily rusted tanks from the 70's.

Does this really work? I may have to try it on the old Honda's tank.

061200c
28th March 2007, 16:38
wifes truck started knocking (rod knock) knew the engine was gunna go, put a can of sea foam in each tank and parked the truck, just finished putting a new engine in the old girl.....3 years later..... fired right up, no fuel related problems

shopteach
2nd April 2007, 18:27
Sea Foam is good stuff! I've used it on a regular basis on carbs and injection. Never tried Deep Creep but I will now. Sea Foam is at OReilley stores in my North Texas area.

Gone
3rd April 2007, 01:36
I like sea foam, never tried the deep creep

bmcdonau
3rd April 2007, 01:49
.. I'm curious. how often are you suppose to use this stuff? I have never heard of it. Do u do it every so many months? every fill up??

I mess around with old DOHC Hondas, most of them have been sitting around for many years with gas in the tanks and carbs. Seafoam cleans out the gunked up gas. That's what its used for. If you ride your bike regularly you shouldn't need it. If you store it over the winter full of gas then you might have reason to run it through your bike.

Lunchbox
3rd April 2007, 06:49
I think i am going to get some and give it a try. See what happens who know. will post again oncei have tried it out.

CommandoRoadster
7th August 2007, 08:05
You can use Seafoam in the crankcase(Read the can). The lifters on my old truck start getting sticky and noisy once in a while.A half a bottle of Seafoam loosens them up so they're quiet again.The other half goes in the gas tank.

Deep Creep is one of the most versatile chemicals I have ever found. I use it as starting fluid, and carb cleaner,I use it to lube my air tools.I've used it to unstick seized engines. It's a great penetrating oil,if you don't need to use something more caustic,like PB Blaster. I use it to clean my guns too.
:cheers
Cheers!
Bruce

Hammer of God
2nd October 2007, 11:18
To repeat if you use seafoam in the crankcase only do it right (like around the block a couple of time right before) before you change the oil. Do not use it as an oil additive in scoots or other small engines.

The stuff is great as a gas additive though. If you put a little just a couple of glugs, not half a can lol, in the tank every couple or three tanks or so it is good for the top end, carb or injectors, fuel lines, etc. Even if you just want to use it as carb cleaner, storage, etc it is good too. I can tell when I run with out Seafoam in the tank over a month or so and get crappy gas or condensation in the sytem.

I use it to some degree in all my bikes and autos, even my lawnmower.

Hammer

gypsysailor
2nd October 2007, 12:58
I use sea foam in larger, older motors quite a bit. In the oil it really frees up the lifters, in the gas to help keep the fuel system working. In my sporty I use a little in the gas now and then. I keep 15 or so older vehicles on the road and I think the stuff works.

TheForce
27th October 2007, 10:06
Just ran this stuff in my nissan after a fuel injector issue. She purrss like a kitten now. More pep too.

nightsterman
27th October 2007, 12:00
I've been using seafoam for a few years with good results. I use it in the lawn mower, the snow blower, the cars and the motorcycle. I usually just put some into my 5 gallon gas can before I fill it up. It acts as a fuel stabilizer and cleans clogged carbs and injectors. I put some in all my vehicles around once a year. You can even pour it straight into the carbs. As for the oil, I don't use it in oil, but if you do, you should change the oil after adding. I've never used deep creep, but I would.

Peace,
Mark

superwarden
27th October 2007, 13:16
I you put it in oil you will have problems, as has been said before. As for gas, there is no better fuel stabilizer and system cleaner.

nightsterman
28th October 2007, 08:09
I you put it in oil you will have problems, as has been said before. As for gas, there is no better fuel stabilizer and system cleaner.

It's not meant to be used as an oil additive. Only to help clean out the crankcase just before draining. This isn't necessary with a well maintained motorcycle. I'd consider using it in a neglected bike. It will thin the dirty oil, making it easier to drain. I'd flush the engine with another 3 quarts of oil. Then I'd drain that oil again, before refilling with oil a second time. Do not leave it in your oil when running your bike.

Later,
Mark

rx3732
26th November 2007, 14:48
So this is safe for EFI vehicles? I'm taking a road trip this weekend and thinking of using it in the tank for the drive back...when I get back, it'll be time for an oil change as well.

nightsterman
26th November 2007, 19:51
So this is safe for EFI vehicles? I'm taking a road trip this weekend and thinking of using it in the tank for the drive back...when I get back, it'll be time for an oil change as well.

It's safe for efi vehicles. I put some in the gas tank a few times a year, and every winter.

Later,
Mark

rx3732
26th November 2007, 20:01
Cool. Just picked up a can on my lunch break.

mtl-XLR
26th November 2007, 20:20
Cool. Just picked up a can on my lunch break.

damn ... you're not supposed to drink the stuff !!! :yikes

XLCMIKE
26th November 2007, 20:27
I dont know about deep creep but the best penetrating oil I have found is Kroil

Sea foam is a great product..

hidollartoys
13th January 2008, 14:49
Seafoam:clapSeafoam:clapSeafoam:clapSeafoam:clapSe afoam:clapSeafoam:clapSeafoam:clapSeafoam:clap

Run the stuff in my boat (sets all winter on a boat lift at the lake) in both 426 chryslers and the genset. Was told about the stuff by a salt water boater.

tribaltiger
28th March 2008, 05:46
i put some sea foam in a honda spree once... of course i also had a can of ether plumber into the intake. ran great for a few hours.

tribaltiger
28th March 2008, 05:47
nice spelling

rocketmangb
5th April 2008, 19:54
Works fine in the crank case on cars !
Boils off pretty quick

09 blackthunder
7th December 2008, 04:02
Seafoam is ok. Want better stuff use amsoil P.I performance improver in the gas tank and stabilizer for storing in the winter. More potent big time than seafoam. The ultimate potent stuff is made by BGproducts. Been using both for a long time and everything I own runs like a champ. Better than seafoam by far. My expierence and 2 cents especially on how picky I am with my car and bike plus everything else.

Tater
28th March 2010, 12:56
I really can't say much about either, but in the forum I was in for a long time (vn750 forum) the folks there swear by Sea Foam...
I have not used Deep Creep, but do like Kroil as a penetrant...
Have a good one...Tater...

spdtrux
28th March 2010, 13:56
THIS WILL EXPLAIN ALL SEAFOAM PRODUCTS,HOW TO USE,AND WHERE TO USE THEM !!!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6187290865726229173#

wilkin4
28th March 2010, 13:57
Just used Deep Creep last week on the Sport, works great. I never put it in the oil or gas. Just spray in the carb. In the future put some Sea Foam in the gas.

Hexlobular
21st September 2013, 01:22
I use Seafoam in my gas periodically, and I run it through my mowers for a bit before I run them out of gas for the end of the season. In my experience, it works great as a fuel stabilizer/moisture remover, and my carbs have always stayed clean.

John Harper
15th November 2013, 00:59
Seafoam is ok. Want better stuff use amsoil P.I performance improver in the gas tank and stabilizer for storing in the winter. More potent big time than seafoam. The ultimate potent stuff is made by BGproducts. Been using both for a long time and everything I own runs like a champ. Better than seafoam by far. My expierence and 2 cents especially on how picky I am with my car and bike plus everything else.

What is the name of the stuff from BG Products? I understand that the PI stuff is from Amsoil.

My 1991 is original owner, always used premium gas (usually Chevron Techron) and has always run great IMO, and ridden regularly. Only had the carb off to do a Dynojet kit maybe 22 years ago. I used Seafoam for the first time a couple years ago, and within 5 minutes could feel a huge performance difference. Now, I use it every few months just to keep things clean.

John

AustinXL
15th November 2013, 01:45
What is the name of the stuff from BG Products? I understand that the PI stuff is from Amsoil.

My 1991 is original owner, always used premium gas (usually Chevron Techron) and has always run great IMO, and ridden regularly. Only had the carb off to do a Dynojet kit maybe 22 years ago. I used Seafoam for the first time a couple years ago, and within 5 minutes could feel a huge performance difference. Now, I use it every few months just to keep things clean.

John

Is it BG 44K?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Stairman
27th August 2014, 14:54
I use Sea Foam often. I swear by it.

Sweet Terry Smoove
27th August 2014, 18:42
I use Sea Foam often. I swear by it.

How often and how much do you use?

Stairman
27th August 2014, 18:47
How often and how much do you use?

I use 1oz. per gal about every 3-4 tanks. I use it all the time in small engines that don't get used a lot. Chain saws, weed eaters, etc.

bustert
23rd October 2015, 13:40
these product probably do have a function but is it just really a Band-Aid? proper maintenance is a must. if you have carbon issues, you have a problem elsewhere. if you set up an engine with fuel left in the carb, you are inviting trouble. a carb is a dirty port devise!?! what you say. simple, sea foam can not get into air passages so air filter maintenance is key and the type of media does matter. if the carb experiences bloom, it is toast as it will not function right even if you could remove the bloom. the store shelves are full of products and each say they are white on rice and work like a duck on a june bug, but if you are going there, something else is amiss!

moparnut72
18th November 2015, 04:47
I don't know if it was specifically developed for it but Seafoam is used extensively in the marine industry to fog 2 stroke engines for winter storage. I have been using Deep Creep as a penetrating oil. It is OK but I have liked Liquid Wrench until they took the wintergreen out of it.
kk

Flying Pig
18th November 2015, 08:48
I used the aerosol type Seafoam sprayed into the rocker cover of a ironhead with a stuck valve from sitting for 25 years. Got compression the next day.

MCCoy
26th November 2015, 22:20
I have had positive results with sea-foam.

MCCoy
26th November 2015, 22:26
I used the aerosol type Seafoam sprayed into the rocker cover of a ironhead with a stuck valve from sitting for 25 years. Got compression the next day.

Now that is pretty cool.:clap

A Seabee
27th November 2015, 00:29
I have a Kawasaki 250 that had water in the fuel system that worked its way into the pilot jet and turned into a green rock. After I got it unplugged, it still ran poorly...I've been running seafoam ever since, and it just keeps running better and better. Starts in two kicks, idle doesn't hunt, and it tops out at 90 mph

felis
21st May 2017, 13:51
I just started using Sea Foam earlier this year.
I knew my snowblower carb was getting gummed up because I had to run it on about half choke.
Added some SF to the gas and after running for a bit, I was able to take the choke fully off.
That experience made me a believer.

Stairman
21st May 2017, 14:11
I've heard from a reliable source that Sea Foam and Marvel's Mystery Oil are the only two that work and live up to their hype. I can tell you Sea Foam works.

tvon
22nd May 2017, 00:22
Been using Sea Foam in my scooters, motorcycles, lawn mower, etc for years. Always worked well. I always add some sea foam to my sporty on every other fill up. In the winter i put a bunch in for gas stabilization. Never a problem.