PDA

View Full Version : Diesel-rated semi-synth

thunderpaw
15th October 2006, 17:54
In the FYI and FWIW departments, I noticed that Valvoline markets a semi-synthetic motor oil (Dura Blend) in 20w-50 that is diesel (CF) rated. It's available at Pep Boys and Advanced for around $3/qt. Might be a viable choice for those 'on the fence' between dino and synth.

Kim

willprevale
15th October 2006, 19:34
It's a definite option... IMHO

Confused89
15th October 2006, 20:31
The reason you can't run car oil in diesels is because the oil is not designed to withstand the pressures of the diesel. That being said I don't see any reason why you couldn't run diesel oil in a bike. The rating are more than suffiecent for bikes. I have switched from syn to dino because I can't justify the price of syn. I know you aren't suppose to do that but oh well. If the bike goes caput then it will give a good reason to upgrade the engine.

toe
15th October 2006, 22:58
Except for it being Valvoline...................

(The only time my truck had a problem with valve tap when starting was the 1 time I used valvoline.........)

Roadster_Rider
15th October 2006, 23:15
The reason you can't run car oil in diesels is because the oil is not designed to withstand the pressures of the diesel. That being said I don't see any reason why you couldn't run diesel oil in a bike. The rating are more than suffiecent for bikes. I have switched from syn to dino because I can't justify the price of syn. I know you aren't suppose to do that but oh well. If the bike goes caput then it will give a good reason to upgrade the engine.

The manual actually recommends deisel rated oil as a secondary lubricant if the HD oils arent available.

atasty39
21st October 2006, 07:01
I have been running Delo 15-40w for the last 1.5years, about 10k miles, no issues yet. YMMV

Navigator
21st October 2006, 15:07
"The reason you can't run car oil in diesels is because the oil is not designed to withstand the pressures of the diesel. That being said I don't see any reason why you couldn't run diesel oil in a bike. The rating are more than suffiecent for bikes. I have switched from syn to dino because I can't justify the price of syn. I know you aren't suppose to do that but oh well. If the bike goes caput then it will give a good reason to upgrade the engine."

You can't afford Syn why ? I run 10k between oil changes & at that change interval syn is the same $$ as dino and just SOOOOO much better for your engine. You notice you don't hear about anyone running syn that talks about oil related failure issues ? That's because it just doesn't happen !

Confused89
21st October 2006, 15:36
I am sorry, I should have specified. I don't want to pay $40 for an oil change every year. I get my oil filter through my dad who works at a parts store and he gets WIX filters, that helps reduce the price a little. I go by time not mileage right now. Which at this point is around 4500 miles. I am going to ride through this winter so my mileage will be higher.

jms969
21st October 2006, 15:44
Most modern auto oils also carry the diesel rating... So it is a moot point...

kballowe
22nd October 2006, 01:00
It's true that most modern oils carry the diesel designation. However, one should avoid the new oils with the "SM" rating. These oils have virtually no ZDDP nor phosporus. The EPA says that these are bad for your catalytic converters and not needed for the newer engines with overhead cams. Harleys have pushrods and rocker arms and have a slightly different lubrication requirement.

Here's an automotive example - how much this ACTUALLY has in common with Harley-Davidson engines could be the subject of much discussion. It's a good article, and something to think about.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/flat_tappet_cam_tech/

relli
22nd October 2006, 01:31
new here but same issue on the kawi forum. why is it we'll happily spend 10k on a bike and then spend so much time and effort trying to save money on the oil??? i read the reviews and run amsoil 20-50 vtwin full synthetic with amsoil filter in my kawi and hope to do the same in the new 1200. change oil every 5k -cost bout 30 bucks. i believe frequent oil changes and quality oil to be the cheapest form of insurance you can buy.IMO

kballowe
22nd October 2006, 01:37
new here but same issue on the kawi forum. why is it we'll happily spend 10k on a bike and then spend so much time and effort trying to save money on the oil??? i read the reviews and run amsoil 20-50 vtwin full synthetic with amsoil filter in my kawi and hope to do the same in the new 1200. change oil every 5k -cost bout 30 bucks. i believe frequent oil changes and quality oil to be the cheapest form of insurance you can buy.IMO

Say, isn't that Kawi water-cooled? Just asking, but why are you running 20-50 instead of 10-40?

It's an old rule of thumb (and I'm an old fart) but water-cooled bikes =10W-40 and air cooled bikes=20W-50.

Yes, and new Fords =5W-20. :smoke

relli
22nd October 2006, 01:46
yep water cooled 900 lt. run 20-50 due to heat in my area. common among my fellow kawi riders.

kballowe
22nd October 2006, 01:48
yep water cooled 900 lt. run 20-50 due to heat in my area. common among my fellow kawi riders.

That's cool.

jms969
22nd October 2006, 02:41
It's true that most modern oils carry the diesel designation. However, one should avoid the new oils with the "SM" rating. These oils have virtually no ZDDP nor phosporus. The EPA says that these are bad for your catalytic converters and not needed for the newer engines with overhead cams. Harleys have pushrods and rocker arms and have a slightly different lubrication requirement.

Here's an automotive example - how much this ACTUALLY has in common with Harley-Davidson engines could be the subject of much discussion. It's a good article, and something to think about.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/flat_tappet_cam_tech/

Good article...