PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Impaired

Secretblend
15th April 2009, 22:02
After reading the Narcoleptic thread, I got to wondering about something. If a deaf or hard of hearing person came up and told you they wanted to learn how to ride, what would you say?

G-force
15th April 2009, 22:03
huh?;););)

G-force
15th April 2009, 22:15
http://www.geocities.com/mysignlanguage/images/sign/yes.jpg

williamv1203
16th April 2009, 09:07
After reading the Narcoleptic thread, I got to wondering about something. If a deaf or hard of hearing person came up and told you they wanted to learn how to ride, what would you say?

I would be accommodating and ask them if they have spoken to their doctor concerning the issue. I think it would be down to the level of hearing impairment. I have met deaf and near deaf riders that do as well as normal hearing riders.

Secretblend
16th April 2009, 09:22
I would be accommodating and ask them if they have spoken to their doctor concerning the issue. I think it would be down to the level of hearing impairment. I have met deaf and near deaf riders that do as well as normal hearing riders.

Interesting answer.

by the way, NORMAL hearing riders? Are you saying that Deafs aren't normal? :laugh :laugh :p

Hope to hear from others and see what they have to say.

AussieGazza
16th April 2009, 09:24
Given that I wear earplugs, I would say go for it (or write it if required).

williamv1203
16th April 2009, 11:41
Interesting answer.

by the way, NORMAL hearing riders? Are you saying that Deafs aren't normal? :laugh :laugh :p

:sorry

Maybe I phrased that not PC... :wonderlan It probably should have been;

People with no hearing impairment...

But the doctor enquiry still stands.

883rdr69
17th October 2009, 07:13
I have 92 percent hearing loss in my left ear from an IED blast, the VA gave me a 3000 dollar hearing aid that auto adjusts to the surrounding noise, and I ride with no issues, I also use a cane to walk due to the same blast, mounted to my handle bars, but the forweard controls help out a lot as long as I can keep my legs stretched out past 90 degrees im good on long rides...

revsin
4th December 2010, 20:42
I was born 90% deaf in one ear, 100% deaf in the other. Never stopped me from doing anything on a bike. Only thing I'd advise anyone is to check with their local laws on operating a motor vehicle with impairments. For example, here in Alabama I am required to have all 3 mirrors on my car (not like that's been a problem to find in the past 50 years on my budget:) ). Also in Alabama, I must have two mirrors on my bike. Again, no biggie... but other states may vary.

When in doubt, ask at the DMV (they're nicer when you're handicapped, otherwise sick the ADA on em).

Since I have a bit of my hearing left, I keep stock pipes to keep the noise down. A good full face helmet to cut down the noise. Ear plugs that musicians use that dampen decibels, but not sound quality are advised too. Keep what hearing you've got, but not to the point you're devoid of ambient sounds in your environment.

Only mod I've done to my bike is bigger mirrors, can't hear whats coming up on me, wanna see it. Would like to get one of those Reevue helmets with the periscope that points out the back for that reason.

If I were completely deaf I'd appreciate at a shift-light or tach, I currently just glance at the speedo to know when to shift.

Only sign language necessary to ride a bike is the middle finger :)

linkin5
4th December 2010, 21:09
My son is 15 and deaf, he rides better than most anyone around as he has been on bikes since he was 5. He reads lips and hides his disability so well most who know him don't no how bad his handicap really is. He will ride any bike I own when he gets his drivers liscense as he has the proper skill and ability to do this better than most people who don't deal with the issues he faces daily. I'll worry about some idiot in a car running him over but he will be fine.

dewiz1
11th May 2011, 02:37
Oh I have been officially deaf since I was 6, never stopped me from doing any thing, Have been riding since I can remember starting with mini bikes, a Sprint 350, 650 BSA and now my 883xlc. Let me say this, most deaf consider themselves NORMAL as everyone else except we dont hear. But we see too much (lol, dont get me started on that)Most of the guys I ride with consider me a bro and know they can expect me to handle everything fine. Have even saved the group from getting nailed serveral times cuz I think ahead. Oh Hey I'm cool with ya! Oh yeah rideing for 37 yrs so far.

Ireeman
11th May 2011, 02:43
Oh I have been officially deaf since I was 6, never stopped me from doing any thing, Have been riding since I can remember starting with mini bikes, a Sprint 350, 650 BSA and now my 883xlc. Let me say this, most deaf consider themselves NORMAL as everyone else except we dont hear. But we see too much (lol, dont get me started on that)Most of the guys I ride with consider me a bro and know they can expect me to handle everything fine. Have even saved the group from getting nailed serveral times cuz I think ahead. Oh Hey I'm cool with ya! Oh yeah rideing for 37 yrs so far.

Interesting...do you feel the bike on vibration and know if it is sick or not?

worn
11th May 2011, 02:52
My wife is deaf, and no she doesn't ride but she drives just fine. Through her I know many other deaf people and a number of them ride Harleys.
One advantage is they don't have irritating stereos blasting on their bikes!
So, what's the problem?

Ireeman
11th May 2011, 03:03
My wife is deaf, and no she doesn't ride but she drives just fine. Through her I know many other deaf people and a number of them ride Harleys.
One advantage is they don't have irritating stereos blasting on their bikes!
So, what's the problem?

Funny,

But i am going deaf after 30 years of industrial work. I have accepted this fact and am adjusting......like how vibration now dictates my life.

New synapses have opened up in my brain that allows me to " see " a different way.

funnythebunny
11th May 2011, 03:14
...If a deaf or hard of hearing person came up and told you they wanted to learn how to ride, what would you say?

I'd say, there's a school for that...

http://xlforum.net/photopost/watermark.php?file=60923