PDA

View Full Version : Allergies are killing me...

hooctk
24th April 2009, 16:11
I was just curious how the rest of you deal with riding your bike during pollen season. My allergies have been getting the best of me lately so I've been wearing my ff helmet and wrapping a bandana around my lower face/nose to try and keep from breathing in so much pollen. I also take my allergy meds twice a day as prescribed. You guys got any other ideas? I don't want to park the bike just because my nose is running like a faucet and my eyes are itching out of my head but I'm starting to run out of options.

bigjnsa
24th April 2009, 16:15
I used to have really bad allergies. I was allergic to nearly everything. But then I read something in a rag that said try to cut off all dairy products. I tried it and never looked back. This was approximately 5 years and I am totally allergy free! But, with no dairy I have to get my Calcium some place else so I take supplements.

Erik
24th April 2009, 16:41
That is an awfull allergie you got, even more so for a biker.
The best riding weather is usualy the worst regarding pollen in the air.

I hope your burden lessens some for you.

mrlowlight
24th April 2009, 17:04
I used to have really bad allergies. I was allergic to nearly everything. But then I read something in a rag that said try to cut off all dairy products. I tried it and never looked back. This was approximately 5 years and I am totally allergy free! But, with no dairy I have to get my Calcium some place else so I take supplements.

very good advice, I've cut out a lot of dairy and have improved....but living in Italy it's almost impossible to eat without some. If your meds are antihistamines that's about the best you can do....try dairy free you never know.

LuxBlue
24th April 2009, 17:10

So, you're talkin' milk, ice cream, cheese, sour cream.....all of it, right? Man, that would be hard but if it works it would be worth it.

I take Allegra (fexofenodine) and floconase spray. So far it doesn't work too well, I may need to get the shot regiment but I'll lay of dairy and see what happens.

Nightster Man
24th April 2009, 19:04
I just keep taking my allergy medication. I also wear sunglasses with the foam around your eyes. Sometimes the eyes swell up if there's too much pollen in the air. Not a good deal.

hooctk
24th April 2009, 19:22

I never realized that dairy products could affect pollen allergies. I'm also allergic to nearly everything.... cuddly critters, pollen, grass, soaps, and even pineapple and coconut. Thanks for the advice bigjnsa and I'm glad your allergies have gotten better. I'll give the no dairy diet a try but that may be a little tough since my parents own an ice cream/soda shop style restaurant.:doh

hooctk
24th April 2009, 19:28
That is an awfull allergie you got, even more so for a biker.
The best riding weather is usualy the worst regarding pollen in the air.

I hope your burden lessens some for you.

Thanks for the kind words Erik. :) Yep pollen allergies are tough especially this time of year. I guess I'll just do the best I can and keep on riding until my discomfort takes the thrill out of getting on the bike.

hooctk
24th April 2009, 19:52
very good advice, I've cut out a lot of dairy and have improved....but living in Italy it's almost impossible to eat without some. If your meds are antihistamines that's about the best you can do....try dairy free you never know.

mrlowlight I take zyrtec D twice a day and use rhinocort twice a day. I'll give the dairy free a try. You're right I never know it might help.

hooctk
24th April 2009, 19:53
I just keep taking my allergy medication. I also wear sunglasses with the foam around your eyes. Sometimes the eyes swell up if there's too much pollen in the air. Not a good deal.

Nightster Man you're right swollen eyes are not a good deal. :frownthre

t.c. Johnson
24th April 2009, 20:25
One word: Zyrtec.

It actually cured me of pollen and dust allergies.

I dont' need it any more because I'm not allergic any longer.

Now I'm allergic to poison ivy, sumac, oak ect.... never was before.

hooctk
24th April 2009, 20:52
One word: Zyrtec.

I take zyrtec D twice a day. It does help, but when the pollen is as thick as it has been in NC this spring it just doesn't seem to do enough.

Cherrylady2
24th April 2009, 21:15
Another reason I don't wear my ff helmet when my hayfever is acting up...........sneezing!!! :yikes

sportyblue
24th April 2009, 22:00
I have terrible hayfever.........last summer while riding in Canada the Zyrtec medicine crapped out on me...I had taken it for 2 years and it worked great until then. I couldn't see anything my eyes were so swollen....I finally stopped at a drug store and the pharmacist suggested, just to get home to my doctor, some antihistamine eye drops.........that worked great ......my eyes cleared up....had to put the drops in every 4 hours I think. My doctor prescribed some new stuff this year we'll see if it works. I've been through all the over the counter crap.......shot's work.... maybe I'll get another one of those. I can not be around hay or rye grass or rye whiskey....sheesh. I feel for ya............

Bob F
24th April 2009, 22:15
Allergies are killing me.

Allergies almost killed me. It was touch and go for 5 hours in the Emergency Room followed by a stay in the Intensive Care Unit.

Anaphylactic Shock,

An acute hypersensitivity reaction due to exposure to a previously encountered antigen. The reaction may include rapidly progressing urticaria, respiratory distress, vascular collapse, systemic shock, and death.

bigjnsa
24th April 2009, 22:33
So, you're talkin' milk, ice cream, cheese, sour cream.....all of it, right? Man, that would be hard but if it works it would be worth it.

I take Allegra (fexofenodine) and floconase spray. So far it doesn't work too well, I may need to get the shot regiment but I'll lay of dairy and see what happens.

Yep, that's right. And I LOVE Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream and Dairy Queen Blizzards! I just can't have them anymore or I get the runs pretty bad (sorry but you NEED to know what happens if you're off diary and go back) ;)

Processed cheese like Velveeta is ok, and also for some weird reason goat cheese I'm fine with.

bigjnsa
24th April 2009, 22:36
I never realized that dairy products could affect pollen allergies. I'm also allergic to nearly everything.... cuddly critters, pollen, grass, soaps, and even pineapple and coconut. Thanks for the advice bigjnsa and I'm glad your allergies have gotten better. I'll give the no dairy diet a try but that may be a little tough since my parents own an ice cream/soda shop style restaurant.:doh

I didn't either, but I'll tell you, it really works. Here in South Texas, we have REALLY REALLY bad cedar pollen when the Cedar trees are on bloom. So thick the air is yellow. Dude, growing up and middle age, my eyes would swell up, I'd be sneezing every minute. Headaches from blowing my nose too much. Now, I get nothing, maybe ONE sneeze every now and then.

I figure the amount of money I'm saving from NOT buying allergy medications I can live with not having dairy in my diet.

khaskins
24th April 2009, 23:50
Milk and dairy products are not good for most people. No adult needs milk. Milk is baby cow food.

Rant over.

Take and antihistamine and nasal steroids. You have to take them as directed for several days before you see any effect. Miss one dose and start over.