PDA

View Full Version : XL FORUM Offcial Sciatica Thread

xl1200r
15th March 2007, 16:25
So, who's got it, and how bad? I'm 23, got it when I was 21.

Most importantly, WHAT MAKES IT BETTER FOR YOU?

The doc says that walking on a concrete floor and leaning over cars all day is what did me in. I've had 2 flare ups in the last 2 1/2 years where I needed to see the chiropractor because I could barely walk.

Adjustements help some. Ultrasound doesn't seem to do anything. Ice and medication does nothing. Suregery can't fix it.

I've found that physical therapy and some general stretching and excersize in my lower back and upper legs seems to work best.

It's never kept me from riding. Once I'm on the bike, the pain subsides, but getting on and off can be a bit painful sometimes.

Luckily, it usually doesn't bother me much, and 95% of time i don't even feel it.

C'mon! Tell your story.

doc
15th March 2007, 16:32
I see a chiropractor once a month. It helps, but I think stretches and light excersize helps the most.

Prebs
15th March 2007, 16:32
I got it out of the blue one day few months ago.. thought i had slept wrong. the pain was near my back then went straight down the thigh to the lower leg. waited a few days it never went away. had a hard time sitting standing wasn't much better but it was better then sitting. and just every day things like tying a shoe was very painful. Got anti-inflammatory meds . Now the pain seems to sit in the thigh muscle. some days are good some days are bad. try to walk and do exercises instead of sitting because sitting makes it worse.

A good link about it....
http://www.back.com/symptoms-sciatica.html

cgp-1200R
15th March 2007, 16:41
I used to have it so bad that my leg would go numb. 2x i could not hold the clutch down and shot into traffic.

I would use ice and naproxin sodium. That work the best until it got real bad.

Went to a surgeon. He fixed me up good. I am so much better now i can not believe i waited as long as i did.

Chris

Jimbo999
15th March 2007, 16:49
I don't have any chronic back problems but being an "Old Guy", I get a
sore back from long rides. I started using a back brace w/suspenders to
pull up my slouching shoulders and poor posture while riding. It helped 100%.

:tour

Rascal
15th March 2007, 17:07
I got it out of the blue one day few months ago.. thought i had slept wrong. the pain was near my back then went straight down the thigh to the lower leg. waited a few days it never went away. had a hard time sitting standing wasn't much better but it was better then sitting. and just every day things like tying a shoe was very painful. Got anti-inflammatory meds . Now the pain seems to sit in the thigh muscle. some days are good some days are bad. try to walk and do exercises instead of sitting because sitting makes it worse.

A good link about it....
http://www.back.com/symptoms-sciatica.html

Thanks for the link, now I know what it is. You're a good egg Prebs. :)

rottenralph
16th March 2007, 02:46
I started having pain on my right side just above my butt cheek. It sometimes numbs m leg all the way down to the ball of my foot. I will be checking out the site because the pain and numbness is sometimes unbearable. I wish I could not comment on this thread.

Prebs
16th March 2007, 03:03
There are lots of good links out there. some more informative. if it doesnt go away get it checked soon. not fun dealing with the pain and numbness can be bad pressure on a disk. could just be inflammation which can be treated with meds.

xl1200r
16th March 2007, 03:32
Yeah - if you have any pain like that have it checked out.

The first time I went to the doc about it, he asked me what the pain was like and what I did for a living.

I replied "It feels like someone stuffed a sword into the top of my ass and pushed it all the way to my knee. And I work as an auto mechanic."

Without a skip, he knew what the problem wasm and was able to help. Showed me a few excersizes and stretches to do on my own as well.

Nodaclu
16th March 2007, 04:10
Remember the Peanuts cartoons when Charlie Brown would try to kick the football, and Lucy would pull it away at the last minute? He'd go flying through the air and land flat on his back.

Well, in January 1996, I did exactly that when I took a big, fast step on a sheet of ice, and my boot slipped out from under me.

It didn't seem like that big of a deal at first , but as the years went by, my back pain got worse and worse, starting with sciatica, and culminating last year with me going down like I'd been shot at least several times a day.

Went for x-ray's, MRI's and the whole deal. The result of the original fall was two blown discs (L4 & L5), a torn ligament, pinched nerves, and the big one, a dislodged and hypermobile SI (sacroilliac) joint. When it locks up, my right leg feels about 2 inches shorter then the left, and if I don't get unstuck within 24 hours, I'm pretty much bed-bound.

Fortunately, 8 months of seeing a chiropractor 3 days a week made a huge difference. I finished that up a year ago, and since that time, I've only had about 5 days of debilitating pain. The rest has broken down to about 75% of the days with mild pain, and 25% of the days with little to no pain at all - a far cry from where I was in October 2005.

Chronic back pain sucks. My wife works for a company that does rehab for workers injured on the job. She's seen people with far milder back injuries get hooked on painkillers, alcohol or worse. She uses me as an example that it's possible to manage a permanent, severe back injury, and even see some improvement if you want it badly enough.

I still struggle with depression over it though. The bottom line is that I can't do any of the sports I loved to play from the time I was a kid all the way up to my mid-20's. I've put on weight because I can't be as physically active as I once was. The weight creates a greater strain on the back, which reduces my physical activity more, etc. It's a constant battle that can slowly send you down a slippery slope if you aren't careful.

The Sporty is the first bike I haven't dropped as a result of this problem. I even dropped a Ninja 250!! The Sporty is different because everything sits so much lower. When it starts to go down, I can use the strength in my legs to stop it. With the previous bikes (ST1100, V-Strom) they were such tall beasts that if they started to lean too far, it required strength in my lower back to stop them. The poor ST fell three times in the three months I had it.

~Mike

Sportster1200
16th March 2007, 05:22
The key to most back issues is to firm up your abs so they can support your weight and act as a support for your back.

Most guys don't have "washboard" stomachs and lose their tone in that area as they get older.

The catch-22 though is ab exercises kill my back so I shy away from doing them.

Kong

xl1200r
16th March 2007, 05:26
Wow... here's a god damned flare up now. I hate this sh!t.

Slow moving now. I have an appointment in the morning, so it better help. Supposed to go skiing again tomorrow night - looks like I'll be hanging out in the lodge.

It was WAY bad...got much better, but still an issue. Now it's back to bad and getting worse (though it's been much worse before).

Nodaclu - I know what you mean about not being to play sports or be active. For me, I coudln't run or jog or anything for a long time after the first flare up I had. It stayed like that for months. Then one day i noticed there was literally no pain and could do anything I wanted, and did. I remember very cleary one day last summer running on the beach for a few hours playing frisbee with no complaints.

xl1200r
16th March 2007, 05:29
Kong... I agree with you when it comes to middle or upper back pain. Strenghtening the muscles in your in abs, chest and neck can help a ton.

What I've found for the sciatica problem is to target the muscles in the lower back. One exercise id to sit on one of those big inflatable balls and rotate your hips around like a hula dancer or a stripper. You feel stupid doing it, but it works. You'r be suprised how hard it is at frst because you just don't work those muscles in everyday life.

Weo
16th March 2007, 06:07
My father has this.

I am lucky, not to have problems with this. It's been hard to get my father to do too many "fixes" for his physical aches and pains, but he listens to me more than his doctor.

My understanding, is that it's basically caused by a slipped disk. I have slipped a disk before. Yes, you can slip a disk anywhere up and down your back, but its the nerve that it pinches that determines where it's going to hurt, i.e. siatica nerve. Disk slips out from between your vertebrate = pain/nerve pinch, disk slips back in = no pain/no nerve pinch.

Some things that have greatly limited issues relating to my back have been to:

1. Use a small travel pillow to give me lumbar support (lower part of back right above your butt) if the chair/seat I'm in does not.
2. Pay attention not to "twist" when you bend over to pick up something (this is how a weightlifter who dead lifts 800lbs can throw his back out picking up a sneaker off the floor).
3. Immediately stop doing whatever I'm doing the second I feel an unusual strain on my spine

Keep in mind, that if you have a slipped disk, and you wait to get it treated, or you "shrug off the pain", you are making your body develop arthritis (calcification; calcium spur) of that area of your spine. This often adds to the pain, or makes things "more complicated". That's what my father has developed in his upper back (different injury).

sdjr
16th March 2007, 06:32
I get shooting back pain on occaision, like to drop me to my knees...so I usually take a motrin 800mg once a day, rarely twice, and just when it's bad...and the situps, they help alot to strengthen the back...I don't do alot, maybe 20-30 during a TV commercial in the evening, if I feel a sweat threatening to break, I definately stop, and sit back on the couch with a beer...works for me...good luck

XLFREAK
16th March 2007, 10:44
I've had this for years, also a mechanic by trade so the bending climbing and leaning over never helps. Its really flared up lately. Went to the back cracker a couple of days ago and got adjusted. It helped with the back pain, but still dealing with the sciatica. It flares up and then goes away, comes back. Been taking meds it helps, but so does the stretching. Damn I hate getting old!!

xl1200r
17th March 2007, 06:42
Try this on for size.

Last night, my pain shot through the roof again, and this morning was about the same. I had an appointment with the doctor this morning and he showed me a few more excersizes I can do. I was able to them all while I was there.

He also informed me to come back first thing Monday, and if it hasn't stabilized or is getting better, he's going to send me to a nuerosugeon for an MRI.

He guess is there's about an 80% chance that I have a herniated disc. If it's not too bad, the excersizes should strengthen the muscles along my spine and push it back into place.

If the excersizes don't do the trick, he think surgery is going to be my only hope. It's looking to me like this may be the case as the pain has done nothing but get worse and worse throughout the day. To the point where it's too painful to do the exercizes he showed me. I've been icing it all night.

Anyone have any experience with this type of surgery? Like, what the recovery time is like? Americade is not that far away and I had a whole week planned on the bike for that and I'd hate to miss it because of this crap.

I've been feeling pretty up lately, but tonight, with the snow and having to clear the driveway to get my car in, it's just killing me. It's to the point right now where I can't do anything anymore. I'm 23 years old and I'm able to be about as active as my 99-year-old great grandfather who is wheelchair bound. It hurts to sit, stand, lat down, walk, crawl, cough, sneeze, breathe, anything. Nothing makes it better right now and EVERYTHING makes it worse. I just want it to stop so I can feel better. This is total bullshit that I have to go through this crap.

On an upnote, I got offered a job today (I graduate in May) and they want to pay me WAY too much money. I think i'll be taking it.

Nodaclu
17th March 2007, 07:20
xl1200r

Be *very* cautious when it comes to back surgeries. My wife sees injured workers come in to their clinic all the time after back surgery. Before that, she was a work comp adjuster for 6 years.

By her estimation of the medical files and cases she's seen, she estimates that about 70-80% of those who have had back surgery are either no better then they were before the surgery, or actually worse.

That's one of the big reasons I did everything in my power to avoid surgery. Not trying to scare you at all, but back surgeries aren't the same as say, scoping a knee, where the result is positive 99% of the time.

Backs are much trickier when it comes to surgery, and success is not guaranteed. Especially at your age, be sure to save that as the absolute LAST option when everything else has been exhausted.

~Mike

PlanB
17th March 2007, 07:21
On an upnote, I got offered a job today (I graduate in May) and they want to pay me WAY too much money. I think i'll be taking it.

Sorry to hear about your pain...but congratulations on your upcoming graduation AND the new job! :clap You did check that they have excellent health insurance, right?

I blew my back many moons ago, and as most of the folks here who have had back pain have attested. it's a life changing experience! Every time I get out of a chair, I have to consciously tell myself to use my legs to rise from the chair straight up...picking something up from the floor takes prior planning...no twisting while lifting...the last time mine went out I was brushing my teeth in the bathroom (bent over the sink) when I had an unexpected sneeze pop up...memo for record, DO NOT sneeze when bent over! That one put me to the floor! Back when mine first went out, the standard treatment was ten days of bedrest with Moltrin...nowadays they want you walking as soon as possible! One exercise that seemed to help a lot that I don't practice like I should was a type of backward sit-up...lay on say a dining room table on your stomach and place the top half of your body off of the table with your head toward the floor...then bring that body half back up even with the table top...it really strengthened my lower back muscles, and the exercise did not seem to irritate my back at all...I don't know if the medical community advocates that anymore, but it seemed to work for me!

I agree a bad back sucks, and you have to be conscious of every move you do for I guess infinity...good luck as you go through the diagnosis process...

On a lighter note, I remember a Doctor of Osteopath recommend to me to do pelvic thrusts daily to strengthen my lower back muscles...I told him if he would write me a prescription for that, I'd present it to my girlfriend and tell her I HAVE to follow doctor's orders! :banadanc :banana

xl1200r
17th March 2007, 18:26
Planb - it sounds like the two excersizes you described are exactly what he has me doing now. I have one of those inflatable workout balls, and ly face-down on one with the ball rught around my pelvis, lower torso, and do these "reverse situps". The hip thrusts sounds similar to, where I sit on the ball and rock my hips forward and back.

XLFREAK
17th March 2007, 18:48
I've had a total of five back surgeries - four since 2004 (right after I bought the Sporty......hmmmm......) I have nerve damage in the right leg - the back of my right thigh and calf are numb, as are my right heel and the outer edge of my right foot. I also suffer from muscle spasms in the muscles down the back of my right thigh and calf - sometimes so severe that the thigh muscles feels like a piece of PVC pipe in the back of my leg.

I've ridden after every surgery - sometimes with the staples still in :) My wife raised hell, but I told her that it hurt like hell to drive any car - I had to drive with my hand on my right knee to help push down on the brake pedal. Riding the bike, however, resulted in little, if any, pain. I took the wife with me to an appt with my surgeon and he agreed with me. He said the different riding/sitting position could make a huge difference. Heck, I couldn't drive a car to the video store a mile away without hurting like hell, yet I rode the bike to Monroe, NC and back in one day with no problems at all.

After the last surgery (to remove the rod and screws) I did the physical therapy. Never thought I'd lift weights again, but the therapy seemed to work. After years of pain that was sometimes so bad my wife couldn't even stay in the room when I tried to get up, this is a big change. I looked very hard at medical retirement. When folks ask why I didn't pursue it, I say, "I've gone from being in near constant severe pain to being simply uncomfortable. I can live with uncomfortable."

racerwill
17th March 2007, 19:12
I've suffered these pains for years as a result of leaning over fenders, working on cars...... the doctors tried meds and physical therapy to no avail but the ultrasound had the most amazing results......nothing will make it go away forever but the ultrasound has been working for about 2 years now.......

Ww

CapMorganXL
19th March 2007, 07:22
I have a fairly mild case, comes and goes, and the most effective immediate/temporary relief is the inversion table I bought a while back... the kind where you hook your ankles under the footbars, then slowly lean back and the whole thing gradually flips over, hanging you upside down. It's the only thing I've found that allows me to totally stretch and decompress my spine and everything connected to it. The relief is almost immediate, and frequent use helps keep it from flaring up as often. I picked mine up at the local big box sporting goods dealer for about $100 on sale. It was a very good investment. I've noticed that mine rarely comes up when riding. Sitting unevenly, or lying on my side, which seems to push my hips and spine out of alignment, seem to bring it on the quickest. One good stretch on the ol' rack and it's much better. I'm sure long term relief relies on the stretching and strengthening excercises mentioned by others.

sycle1
20th March 2007, 00:26
I work bent over alot and have similar problems, I also had a rear ender where I was hit at 40 MPH with my body was twisted when she hit me.
I have a numb left leg and foot, some days I don't notice it much but when my back flares up I have to resort to the meds.
I have been educated in stretching and doing workouts to strenghten the back, abs, legs, etc and it does help alot, it doesn't cure it, but with the meds and an ongoing excercise and stretching regime I am suffering through it.
I have two friends that had operations on their backs both are still in pain one has even had another operation to try and get some relief from the agony.
I won't go down the back operation road as I fear having the operation could make me worse as some people I have talked too have said if you can bear the pain then your doing pretty good.
I just hate the fact that the pain makes me an angry tetchie old grump sometimes and I just can't help it.
Riding the sporty is about the only time I don't feel any pain.

SpartanDen
20th March 2007, 00:46
I have three herniated disks in my back that raise hell with my right arm and thumb and first two fingers. It took three or four months to figure out what it was. Initially pulled muscle and treatment for that. The numbness had not quite set in initially, but my back was so tight and constricted I could not move my head. Pain was bad, I could not find a position that was comfortable. After a trip to the e-room one night (wife forced me) the doc there told me to get an MRI. They found the herniated disks and set up treatment. It took damn near as long to recover as it took to figure this out. The doc said as long as we can treat the symptoms and get relief, I should not have surgery. And I believe him! Now I can tell when I have issues and can get therapy and help to clear it up. I know what I should and should not do, but I don't always do that! Right now knees are my worst enemy. Dang dirt bikes and youth! I'm sure paying for it now!!
Good luck to all who have back issues. I know it's no fun. And please get a second opinion before back surgery!!

ed_in_az
23rd March 2007, 22:44
I've got sciatica + jacked up low back, shoulder blade area, broken vertebrae in neck, and torn rotator cuff. Dirt bikes + got smacked by a car and later a minivan, both while riding.

I noticed those with sciatica that said riding doesn't bother them have forward controls(custom models). I could not ride my first Sportster with mid controls. The pain was unbearable. I switched to forwards and have no sciatica pain while riding. Now the low back is another story. Sometimes it is pretty bad. I take Ibuprophen, 600mg at a time occasionally for it. I also keep an emergency Rx of tylenol with codiene for those rare occasions when my neck spasms.

debster
24th March 2007, 03:40
Anyone have any experience with this type of surgery? Like, what the recovery time is like? Americade is not that far away and I had a whole week planned on the bike for that and I'd hate to miss it because of this crap.

xl, I had a herniated disk repaired last May. I was in agony, even with heavy-duty pain meds. It was the only thing left to do. I was in the operating room only 45 minutes, went home the same day (probably should've stayed overnight, but I hate hospitals). It was a miracle; the pain was totally gone immediately and I could feel my toes again. I was out of work for about 7-8 weeks. Lifting restriction of no more than 35 lbs. for a year. It worked out good for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

xl1200r
26th March 2007, 20:24
My update - The pain is almost totally gone, but it's only due to the pain meds. They gave me some hydrocodone as a supplement if needed, but I haven't and want to go down the hardcore pain-killer road so I haven't taken any.

Went to the chiropractor again this morning and found out that the relief in pain was only a cure for the symtoms and the problem is still very much there. Still swollen in my lower back, and can't lift my leg hardly at all when laying on my stomach.

I go for my MRI tomorrow, so we'll what happens. The doc thinks right now that it's more likely some injection will do the trick. We'll see.

XLFREAK
27th March 2007, 01:28
Good luck with the cortisone injections. I had three series and none of 'em did any good for me.

xl1200r
29th March 2007, 15:14
Okay - maybe a change of pace...

went to the chiropractor yesterday and things were much better. My mobility was back for the most part. He told me as long as I keep up with the back exercizes I will be able to be as activee as I want.

Did the MRI this morning, so we'll see what that shows.

I'm going without the pain killers now...haven't taken one in 16 hours and I'm doing ok. I can feel it, but it doesn't feel like the nerve pain I had before, just soreness.

Prebs
29th March 2007, 15:17
Good luck with the results on MRI hope its nothing bad. Glad pain isn't to bad. what kind of back exercises are you doing?

xl1200r
5th April 2007, 05:14
I get the results of the MRI tomorrow. Chiro says he's 90% sure it's a herniated disc.

The pain is still gone, 6 days with no pain killers. Doc says if I keep getting flare ups, then i might need injections. If those don't work, then I'll need surgery. But for now things are good, and if I feel the pain comnig on we know exactly what to do as far as meds and adjustments.

Prebs, the excersizes are hip thrusts (rocking my hips back and forth as far as I can - hopefully this will come in handy soon...), and a kind of reverse situp. I get in a kid of mulim prayer position, and lift my upper torso using the muscles in my lower back. I do them everyday now.

xl1200r
5th April 2007, 19:47
Confusion.

The MRI guy said my spine is best he's seen in weeks and there's nothing wrong with me. He thinks it was all caused from inflamation.

The results show a very slight disc buldge, but no herniation.

debster
5th April 2007, 23:20
Wow, that's weird. I wouldn't think inflamation would cause you such horrible pain. I'd be confused, too. Maybe your doctor can shed some light on the report.

SpartanDen
6th April 2007, 00:56
Debster.... I think the inflamation is to the nerves rather than the discs. My doc told me it would take quite some time for the inflamation to subside as I had "aggrevated" it for some time before the diagnosis. The nerves basically have to heal before the pain goes away.
My back has been bothering me lately and I have a doc appointment next week (per my Hate getting old thread a day or two ago) to get set up with some therapy. Once you understand the disc and its relationship to your spine and nerves, you might feel these flare ups come on and get into therapy for treatment. I can catch it now before the flare ups get too bad, so less therapy is required.
It's a pain in the as...er, back, but if ya understand it then life might be a bit easier.

xl1200r
7th April 2007, 03:14
Wow, that's weird. I wouldn't think inflamation would cause you such horrible pain. I'd be confused, too. Maybe your doctor can shed some light on the report.

It works like this: The nerve comes out of the spine through a small hole with a little room to move. Part of the wall of this hole is made up of the disc. When a disc buldges/herniates/slips into this hole, it can pinch the nerve causing the pain, though this usually doesn't happen because there's a little wiggle room.

However, if the area is inflamed it can reduce that wiggle room to the point that a very slight disc movement can pinch the nerve.

In my case, it was a very minor disc buldge, and a lot of inflammation that pinched the nerve.

cgp-1200R
14th June 2007, 14:33
Thats why ice and naproxen help, reduces the inflamtion.

had the surgery, did wonders.

I had gotten so bad i lost the feeling in my leg, and could not hold the clutch in on my honda sometimes

My son also didnt like helping put on my socks.

midnightrider23
17th July 2007, 03:56
I'm a firefighter/Paramedic and have been for about 14 years. Moving people and equipment every third day has definatly taken it's toll on me ( back, knees, ankles, and shoulders hur every morning). If I could afford to get another career, It would be a good idea. Although I love my job and don't know what I'd do, it definatly has worked me over pretty good. My father told me" son, if enjoy your job, you never work a day in you're life" I'm here to tell you it's true.

Urrell
25th July 2007, 11:26
I have several disks missing in my spine but can keep reasonably pain free with weightlifting to tone the supporting muscles. What makes it worst for me is standing about (shopping with the wife!!). It takes 5 or 10 mins to come on and if I do not sit down is like hot knives being twisted in my left thigh. It has so far not affected my riding but sometimes after 4 or 5 hours in the car I am ready to stretch my legs for a few minutes. Of the over the counter drugs here in the UK Ibuprofen is the best at giving some relief but when it won't go away a trip to the doc is the only choice.
:tour

Dave downunder
12th December 2007, 06:10
I rarely have pain down my right leg and sometimes tingling in my right toes, but when it happens it is often incredibly bad. This was caused 10 years ago when a delivery guy passed a very heavy bit of gear down to me from his truck. I had no where to go than to put it down as gently and quickly as I could. This event gave me a herniated disc. It took me 2 months to pretty well recover, then a few weeks later just picking up my brief case from the back seat of the car set it off again, real agony. Around another 2 months it slowly went away. After this virtually 10 years okay. Then 3 months ago I started to feel the pain again and it built up to major pain about a month ago. It's now subsided and in fact in one hours time I'll be taking my Sporty out, it's been a while. It's Harleys at Hooters Parramatta, Sydney, tonight.

That's my story gang, not fun crook back stuff.

Keep upright, Dave.

Harleyvarna
16th December 2007, 20:36
Yes, because of 3 herniated lumbar discs...
It's a PAIN IN THE ASS!!!! :frownthre

Dennis :tour

Y2K
18th December 2007, 00:10
Dunno how I missed this thread,I've suffered with it for years on end.
35 years of bending over a tablesaw and router tables in a cabinet shop while standing on concrete and years of working on my own cars too.
PETA!

Bob F
18th December 2007, 00:18
This is my back support, wouldn't be able to ride very far without it.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Xl50_100707a.jpg

ChuckD06
5th April 2008, 01:44
I can tell you from my experiance that yoga can really help. I know yoga is not a "mans" exercise but it does help. I got this dvd http://www.yrgworkout.com/ and it really helps. Another thing is that motrin is whats called and NSAID. NSAIDs are bad for your inards. Now 1 here and 1 there wont hurt you but if taken regularly they will. I can't take them anymore cause of my kidney disease. Not trying to be a doc just a little info I have found out.

xl1200r
26th June 2008, 14:14
Holy crap, this made it to sticky status!?!? Haha...

Well, I guess I may as well give some updates to my condition.

The flare up I was going through when I first posted all this was the last major one I had. The pain had subsided and for the most part not bugged me too much. It's sligt enough to not notice it, but there's always a little bit of discomfort there.

The good thing is it isn't keeping me from doing anything - we had a down pour the other day and I was able to sprint to the car, dodging cars through the parking lot without any hesitation.

I had a minor flare up a few weeks back when I moved, but that's been it. The new apartment building has a gym, so I'll start using that again because it seemed to help a good deal.

All in all I'm doing very well, though. This past March I rode the Firebolt with stock ergonomics 1000 miles in two days down to Georgia for a Buell get together - about 20 hours of riding all together, and I wasn't the slightest bit sore form it.

msisak
26th June 2008, 14:58
Hey all...

A few comments after reading the thread. Spinal function is directly related to motion. When our joints stop moving because of misalignments, lack of flexibilty, or sustained positions (iron butt challenge anyone?) our discs take a direct beating. Think of those disks as a sponge. They have no direct blood supply, so in order to get nutrients (intake) and to get rid of wastes (exhaust) they need to move. All day long when we walk, sit, stand, those discs get compressed, and squish all the waste products into the surrounding environment to get absorbed. When we sleep at night those discs get to expand again, and suck in new nutrients for the next day (remember the sponge). When joints get stuck, or we don't allow those joints to move through their full range of motion, the disc suffers. Exercises and stretches (yeah yoga) really help maintain the disc. IF the joint is stuck in one position, all the stretches in the world USUALLY do not release the joint. Thats what I'm here for.....

xl forum resident bone crusher....

Fully licensed and insured Doctor of Chiropractic

Harcati
26th June 2008, 20:29
When a muscle hurts or freezes up many time it's because of weakness in the opposite or opposing muscle(s).

Up until now I've kept back problems at bay by tensing my abdominal muscles whenever my back spasms or experiences pain. I've been told that proper work to strengthen the abdominal muscles would most likely alleviate the problem, but I'm just not motivated to get into an exercise routine.

I have arthritis in my lower back (confirmed by orthopedic surgeon) but it never seems to bother me. Walking with my back straight and tensing my abdominals every now and then works for me.

Some folks have slight differences in leg length which tilt the pelvis and can cause sciatica. I guess it's just a matter of getting to know your body and what works for it.

Now, if only my right knee would stop buggin' me with that constant slow burn...

emzdogz
30th June 2008, 02:36
hey folks, I have this now. Never had it til this year. Just turned 49. But I see from reading some of the other posts that its not really an age related thing.
Have had it for 9 months or so and unfortunately it seems the evil seat on my L makes it worse altho its not bad WHILE riding, too much. I think a. my chair at work. b this crappy couch at home c. sitting too much d. nor stretching properly e. my dog forcing me to sleep in weird cramped positions. (sounds stupid, I know) But she sleeps on my bed and ends up kind of like ON me...and it just sucks.
I think the last day or 2 when its gotten really painful, I've made it worse by stretching "wrong". Although it seemed to feel better while doing it.
So tomorrow I'm gonna try not stretching it. Its just a right side thing. From lower back on riht side down through hip and occaisional numbness down through leg. Haven't been to DR yet.
I don't WANT this prob.
:(
I have lots of reading to do. But it looks like many people have some degree of this prob. I'm sorry you all have this.

dang.....
its REALLY bugging me. I feel like I need a BIG shot in my hip/upper butt. But I doubt there's a shot for this.

hope you all feel better, those of you who have similar symptoms.

beuz
23rd September 2008, 08:24
I've have 3 herniated lumbar discs...
If I don't get fat, I can live without surgery.
Pain has left me for 2 years but came back 3 weeks ago.
I had to remove my forward controls because i couldn't ride a few miles without suffering.
With central controls, that's good...

B-Rad
28th March 2009, 15:07
This is my back support, wouldn't be able to ride very far without it.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Xl50_100707a.jpg

+1 I busted my back in an accident on a fishing boat years ago and I was looking at giving up riding until I put this together.
Every time I go for a ride I can not believe the difference it has made:banana
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t174/walla-b/0903260013-1.jpg
Plus I got a fairly unique looking bike:tour

michael427
28th March 2009, 15:42
I have it to where I can't move to days at a time. My lumbar discs are shot and it compresses my sciatic nerve. I deal with it by exercise, stretching, vicoden, and a new med the doc put me on, Lyrica. Lyrica was developed for fybromyalgia and works really well on nerve pain. Since I've been on it I havn't needed the vicoden and I now have a clear head, which is nice. I was eating the vicoden like candy and still hurting.

milmat1
28th March 2009, 15:46
Hey all...

A few comments after reading the thread. Spinal function is directly related to motion. When our joints stop moving because of misalignments, lack of flexibilty, or sustained positions (iron butt challenge anyone?) our discs take a direct beating. Think of those disks as a sponge. They have no direct blood supply, so in order to get nutrients (intake) and to get rid of wastes (exhaust) they need to move. All day long when we walk, sit, stand, those discs get compressed, and squish all the waste products into the surrounding environment to get absorbed. When we sleep at night those discs get to expand again, and suck in new nutrients for the next day (remember the sponge). When joints get stuck, or we don't allow those joints to move through their full range of motion, the disc suffers. Exercises and stretches (yeah yoga) really help maintain the disc. IF the joint is stuck in one position, all the stretches in the world USUALLY do not release the joint. Thats what I'm here for.....

xl forum resident bone crusher....

Fully licensed and insured Doctor of Chiropractic

Very Good Explaination.

Also I wish you would have mentioned the importance of proper spine alignment to the transmission of signals from the brain. Like pinching a bundle of wires, Something somewhere is gonna suffer a loss of data.

I have a hairbrained idea about the importance of proper signaling as related to Cells that Mutate ! Since the data is sent through the body for the cells devolopement, And many disease's are caused my cell mutation, (even cancer) could it be that this "Data Corruption" could be responseable for a host of problems??

Of course this all begs to ask WHY??

Because we have only been walking upright and using our body's this way for a relatively small time.

Glamazon
10th January 2017, 23:27
Got it bad for past month. I thought it was a pulled thigh muscle. Convinced my time as a bus driver started it

Traxx
21st October 2019, 07:14
I had a flare up and thought it was kidney stones. Put me down for about 3 weeks and still hurting.

sportsterpaul
21st October 2019, 14:29
Just learned that after my knee replacement some years back my right leg is over a five eighths inch longer than the left. Explains much of the issues I’ve been trying to deal with. All these years my friends kept referring to me limping, which I denied out of ignorance, now I know. But, gotta keep keeping on!