PDA

View Full Version : Broke my back on June 1st

mwchut
25th June 2009, 01:16
On june 1st I rode my nightster through a pothole on the highway at highway speeds. The impact threw me and the bike up into the air and I was able to maintain control and bring it down, only to dump it in the break down lane. The hole was deep enough to collapse my back wheel and my L2 vertabrae. I have had 2 surgeries and now have 8 pins in my back as well as other hardware. Has anyone on here been through something like this? Have you ridden again? I am only in my 40's so I assume I should heal pretty good, hopefully.

Pork Chop
25th June 2009, 01:20
dude............

thats crazy....

sorry to hear this, i truly hope you can mount up again
take care man

misterT
25th June 2009, 01:27
My wife works for a group of orthopedic surgeons she says you may ride again but you will have to be very careful. You will need to walk every day and do all excercises they tell you to. You will also have to quit smoking if you do or your back will not heal. I hope you get feeling better soon

CaptEvo
25th June 2009, 01:28
Dude...that hurts just reading it. I hope you heal up 100%.

funnythebunny
25th June 2009, 01:31
I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Don't put your energies into getting back into the saddle for awhile. Concentrate on healing, therapy, good health habits, like eating nutricious food and an excercise program to strenghen your body again.

Getting back into the saddle too soo can further injure you. Follow your doctor's advice and stick to the plan.

Here's to a succesful recovery!!:chtwo

mwchut
25th June 2009, 01:31
thanks.. Here let me share a bit more.. :)

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Phase2_surgeryA.jpg

mtrbrth3
25th June 2009, 01:34
i have an 09 custom and when i hit the expansion joints in the road the big ones i feel like i am flying off the bike and actually almost am.I just go back road c`uisingnow the sporty has no suspension sorry fo you mishap

mwchut
25th June 2009, 01:36
Here is another view.... I am the terminator now.. :)

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Phase2_surgery.jpg

misterT
25th June 2009, 01:45
Is that the cage they inserted between L2 and L3 or is that a pain pump?

hoby
25th June 2009, 01:46
Do you think the damage to your back was done when you hit the pothole or when you crashed on the road? Take care Bud.

wilkin4
25th June 2009, 01:49
Dumb question here, does all the hardware stay in forever, or get removed at some point once you heal????

Must have been a monster pothole, sorry about your accident.

xHDrider
25th June 2009, 02:51
ouch! this picture scares me. I hit a bad pothole with my wife on back. it hurt her lower back. she hasn't ridden in a month and it still hurts her.

Screw Loose Dan
25th June 2009, 02:56
Dang!!! That's a lot of hardware!! Hope everything heals 100%.

CBAS5
25th June 2009, 03:07
Here is another view.... I am the terminator now..

That is some serious damage. I don't like to be pessimistic, but a full recovery is unlikely.

risotteria
25th June 2009, 03:12
whew....................good luck and a speedy recovery...................is there any liability involved????

andweagree
25th June 2009, 03:13
Reading this makes me think of I-95 here in philly... worst highway ever it would be nice if my tax dollars went to something useful, you know like safe F*&#^@%@%@ roads. Wish you the best man.

xena
25th June 2009, 03:26
I have never hurt my back like that but
wanted to say I hope you make a full
recovery. I didn't know Cali had potholes
like we do here in the Northeast.
Take care and get well quick!

idigther
25th June 2009, 03:31
That's a he!! of a hole! Hope you get your body functioning back to a 100%. I'd talk to a personal injury lawyer...ya know just to see if you can make a case against the authority who is supposed to maintain that road. State, county, fed or what have you. We all pay taxes and especially gasoline taxes that help pay for the upkeep on our roads and highways. A whole that big? You weren't cited for haulin' ba!!s or anything...I'd try it since you got messed up. Hole will probably be patched before you can get any pictures...and you'd need pics to attempt a suit.
As for the hardware in your bod, I know it's weird to see x-rays of stuff that is actually in you. I have two total hip replacements and my x-rays look Frankenstein like...because both sides have all that titanium...cups in each side of the pelvis and a prosthetic hammered into each femur. Heck, but the parts work great and I look too young to have that hardware in me. Life is uncertain...
Be well and ride safe.

Weo
25th June 2009, 03:36
Sorry to hear that! Hope you have a speedy recovery!

mwchut
25th June 2009, 05:00
ouch! this picture scares me. I hit a bad pothole with my wife on back. it hurt her lower back. she hasn't ridden in a month and it still hurts her.

Not to spook you but I would get her an X-ray just to make sure..

mwchut
25th June 2009, 05:01
Is that the cage they inserted between L2 and L3 or is that a pain pump?

No.. that's a cage in there... 8 bolts and some other hardware...

mwchut
25th June 2009, 05:03
Do you think the damage to your back was done when you hit the pothole or when you crashed on the road? Take care Bud.

Definiteley when I hit the pothole. The rear rim is collapsed on my bike. And all of the back pain started the moment I hit the hole. I was doing about 25-30 when I lost the bike on the median. I only got a little road rash on my ankle thanks to my chaps and leather jacket.

mwchut
25th June 2009, 05:04
Dumb question here, does all the hardware stay in forever, or get removed at some point once you heal????

Must have been a monster pothole, sorry about your accident.

It's permanently mine..

Jason's Sporty
25th June 2009, 05:25
ouch. Thats alot of Titanium. Hope you get well soon!

nh roads
28th June 2009, 03:23
I hope you're feeling better soon.

I broke my back and had 5 vertabrae mechanically fused, and I ride all the time.
I was able to have my hardware removed after a year or so.

I have other fusing from an arthritic disease (ankylosing spondylitus).

Good luck to you.

mwchut
28th June 2009, 03:25
I hope you're feeling better soon.

I broke my back and had 5 vertabrae mechanically fused, and I ride all the time.
I was able to have my hardware removed after a year or so.

I have other fusing from an arthritic disease (ankylosing spondylitus).

Good luck to you.

Yikes... they took your hardware out huh... is that standard practice?? I assumed it was permanent..

nh roads
28th June 2009, 03:53
Yeah, I had harrington rods.
Two 1/4" x 8" rods with sliding clamps and hooks on the ends, so they would have been easier to remove.
My doctor kinda wanted them to be permanent

They were bulky and hurt to lean back on in every chair.
I have this crappy disease that fuses my vertabrae, so I guess I fused right up solid and the rods could be removed.
Mine was the top lumbar and 4 thoracic vertabrae that were mechanically fused.....they were probably near fused already when I got hurt.

Your hardware looks all strange and scary to me with the screws and all!

This was in Feb. 1999 and I started riding again in 2001.

The Sportster's rumble feels good to me....the vibration helps I guess.

(I broke my femur this spring in April)....(I'm riding after that now too!)

mwchut
28th June 2009, 03:56
Gotcha... I guess from what my wife tells me my hardware is permanent. Personally considering how much pain my surgery has put me through I would prefer to leave it in.. :)

mwchut
28th June 2009, 04:00
I guess my accident caused a close down of I80 as well..

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist4/80solano/docs/80lanes_reopen090601.pdf

nh roads
28th June 2009, 04:08
I bet!
I'm carrying three long screws in my hip now.
I'm doing great, but this broken femur has been crazy painful!
I don't think they take screws out.

I'm not sure why I got the back rods....they stuck out like a dorsal fin!
They were supposed to be tucked in alongside my spine and were supposed to be permanent.

I was an odd case I'm sure.

But riding does make me feel better and best wishes to you!

mwchut
28th June 2009, 04:11
Thanks.. I plan to ride again.. Just not a nightster.. Too rough of a ride for my back I am sure.. Maybe I will steal my wifes 1200C...

nh roads
28th June 2009, 04:21
I do remember them giving me the option of something less bulky.
But they wanted to put it in from the stomach side!

No Thanks! :wonderlan

Are you wearing the body molded clam shell thing?
I hated that thing! :shhhh

Are you up and walking?
Walking wasn't much fun until I got a beagle and started walking on trails.
I was hiking on a mountain with the dog when I slipped and broke my hip!

mwchut
28th June 2009, 05:06
I do have a clam shell type of body brace to keep me from bending my back while it heals.. But it is also helping with some of the pain.

As far as walking goes I have a walker I use to do some minimal walking. I may try a bit more walking tommorow with my wife. I miss the outdoors. It all sucks.

The upside is my bike will be back on Wednesday so I can stare at it and wish this never happened.