PDA

View Full Version : Does the Pledge of Allegiance mean the same to you as it does to me?

funnythebunny
7th September 2009, 16:48
Red Skelton said it best, and to this day, his description is exactly how I feel. :usa2 May God bless America and our Allied Nations across the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPbIls0iOnI

mikeg1200c
7th September 2009, 17:02
God Bless Red....
They should play this for the Senate and Congress....
God Bless America....

floorit
7th September 2009, 17:07
Great video, thanks for posting.

philidor1958
7th September 2009, 17:08
That was so good I book marked it. I also bought a Red Skelton series a few years ago. He was a good man with clean comedy.

funnythebunny
7th September 2009, 17:42
...He was a good man with clean comedy.
Agreed!!:iagree

Woody01
7th September 2009, 17:43
It's time for a Tea Party!!

ghost_rader
7th September 2009, 17:59
It's time for a Tea Party!!

lets do it.

jharback
7th September 2009, 18:12
Red Skelton was a great man and a great comedian.

I've always felt that the Pledge of Allegiance and other types of proclamations as somewhat phony. It's easy to make claims of God and Country and all too often are as false as a three dollar bill. After all, look at our federal politicians. They're constantly spouting off about God and Country and they are just about the most worthless group of people in our Nation.

I put much more faith in actions than proclamations.

KraziDave
7th September 2009, 18:12
I beleive it is time for all americans to set aside petty differences of opinion in meaningless debates over flag burning, stem cell research, etc, and realize that our government is supposed to fear us, not the other way around.

2008nightster
22nd March 2010, 02:46
Thanks for posting. Even prior to the beginning of my time in the service, the National Anthem always sent shivers down my spine. Now every day on the drive to the base, a local radio station plays it at 0600. I never get sick of hearing it, and it still gives me the chills. I'm so proud to live in and serve this country.

holesnipe
22nd March 2010, 02:47
Red Skelton said it best, and to this day, his description is exactly how I feel. :usa2 May God bless America and our Allied Nations across the world.

Ask me tomorrow

AsSeenOnTV
22nd March 2010, 02:50
it's time for a tea party!!

"lets roll"

holesnipe
22nd March 2010, 02:59
There starting to vote [ i think ]. as a recovering alcoholic it's enough to make me drink again but i won't cuz i can't load and shoot buzzed. TEA TIME

DBH
22nd March 2010, 03:54
I think Reds rendition of the pledge shoulg be taught in school every year from kindergarden, on up, then people of this country may realize what we have here in this USA.

LostWolf
22nd March 2010, 03:55
That was awesome.... Red rocks.....Thanks for the post. Really enjoyed it.

racerwill
22nd March 2010, 04:06
Red is a good American...... those are precisely the values that made America great....

and those are the values we need to keep alive to keep us that way

Ww

Rascal
22nd March 2010, 04:07

I couldn't agree more with you funnybunny! Thanks for posting, it's a great video. God Bless America!

flskevin
22nd March 2010, 04:35
I prefer Doug Stanhope's take on the Pledge & Liberty....

aDfmeKhaT0s

jharback
22nd March 2010, 08:31
I prefer Doug Stanhope's take on the Pledge & Liberty....

There's a lot of truth in that Kevin!

williamv1203
22nd March 2010, 10:25
Superb! I remember seeing that when I was young.

His closing statement about the 'under God' part being added and if it was taken to be a prayer... is why the pc enforcement squad have taken steps to remove The Pledge of Allegiance from the daily routine of the majority of schools... if not all... :frownthre

Don Burton
22nd March 2010, 10:26
I've always felt that the Pledge of Allegiance and other types of proclamations as somewhat phony. It's easy to make claims of God and Country and all too often are as false as a three dollar bill. After all, look at our federal politicians. They're constantly spouting off about God and Country and they are just about the most worthless group of people in our Nation.

I don't think that everyone who says the Pledge is phony but I suspect that very few have ever actually read the Constitution (along with it's revisions and amendments) or understand what it has meant (both good and bad),which doesn't bode well for our country. Most don't really know what they are pledging to. The flag is a symbol of that Consititution (which means a lot). That is its real meaning.

rick szymanski
22nd March 2010, 10:45
Like 2008nightster, I too am proud to live in The United States of America and serve in her military. I also get some "different" feelings when the National Anthem is played or sung.

For me, both have a deep rooted meaning in my life that I hope to pass on to my two sons. I have seen the cost of defending our nation pertaining to the lives of our troops. Those men and women took the opportunity to serve the greatest nation on Earth. It isn't a job for everybody, but to me, it's a job that everyone should truly appreciate.

I feel that as a Soldier, I offer my pledge with a strong sense of committment as opposed to individuals who merely know the words. It's phony sounding if people say it just because everyone else is saying it. It's very compelling when said with conviction.

As for the National Anthem, I have to admit that I can get misty eyed when it's sung with sincerity. I imagine that I relate it to things that I've seen during my tours over here. For some folks, it's a great song to start sports events. For me, it's a moment to reflect on the sacrifices that my fellow troops and friends have made or are making currently.

I truly wish that these two things meant the same to everyone else as they do to me. I have seen on more than one occasion where people talk during or mock the Anthem and I quickly put their behavior in check. I believe that those who do things like that have never given consideration to their nation or it's service members and what they are willing to face on their behalf. School must not be teaching that these days.

I received an email from my dad several months ago which showed several actors/entertainers and their entertainment history at the beginning of the presentation. I believe it went through the 60's. At the end it displayed their branch of service, medals earned, accomplishments on the battlefield, and asked a really good question. Who out of today's entertainers, would put their career on hold to serve their nation? I'll be honest, I couldn't really think of any. I'm sure there's got to be more than Pat Tillman(football player) that have served in recent conflicts. Who else recently has done so for sure?

ps..not trying to hijack the thread.

Kimbo
22nd March 2010, 11:49
Well spoken Rick. As a retired Australian Infantry officer, I can relate to all that you have said.

Like 2008nightster, I too am proud to live in The United States of America and serve in her military. I also get some "different" feelings when the National Anthem is played or sung.

For me, both have a deep rooted meaning in my life that I hope to pass on to my two sons. I have seen the cost of defending our nation pertaining to the lives of our troops. Those men and women took the opportunity to serve the greatest nation on Earth. It isn't a job for everybody, but to me, it's a job that everyone should truly appreciate.

I feel that as a Soldier, I offer my pledge with a strong sense of committment as opposed to individuals who merely know the words. It's phony sounding if people say it just because everyone else is saying it. It's very compelling when said with conviction.

As for the National Anthem, I have to admit that I can get misty eyed when it's sung with sincerity. I imagine that I relate it to things that I've seen during my tours over here. For some folks, it's a great song to start sports events. For me, it's a moment to reflect on the sacrifices that my fellow troops and friends have made or are making currently.

I truly wish that these two things meant the same to everyone else as they do to me. I have seen on more than one occasion where people talk during or mock the Anthem and I quickly put their behavior in check. I believe that those who do things like that have never given consideration to their nation or it's service members and what they are willing to face on their behalf. School must not be teaching that these days.

I received an email from my dad several months ago which showed several actors/entertainers and their entertainment history at the beginning of the presentation. I believe it went through the 60's. At the end it displayed their branch of service, medals earned, accomplishments on the battlefield, and asked a really good question. Who out of today's entertainers, would put their career on hold to serve their nation? I'll be honest, I couldn't really think of any. I'm sure there's got to be more than Pat Tillman(football player) that have served in recent conflicts. Who else recently has done so for sure?

ps..not trying to hijack the thread.

lonerider1985
22nd March 2010, 12:29
"one nation under god "that is false since the 80 s, We as a country is no longer a god fearing nation are gov. passes laws over god laws giving rights to gays ,to married? everything about the law of the land is a decay of man ,No wonder the mouslems what to Kill us all......Earth quakes ,floods .and War from within ...is just the begining...

superwarden
22nd March 2010, 12:34
Red Skelton was a great man and a great comedian.

I agree, it is easy to say you love god and country, it is much harder to live that way..

milmat1
22nd March 2010, 14:00
I beleive it is time for all americans to set aside petty differences of opinion in meaningless debates over flag burning, stem cell research, etc, and realize that our government is supposed to fear us, not the other way around.

Hows it go again, "When the Governement fears the people you have Liberty" & "When the people fear the government you have Tyranny"..

Don Burton
23rd March 2010, 04:06

Rick, I don't look at it as the school's fault, rather I think it's the fault of significant elements of our society (reflected in the school) which seem to value and promote cheap entertainment and cheap values (much in T.V. and Movies) instead of things and ideals that have real value. Parents come into play, but even then it's tough to combat the easy self-serving way that the media so consistently promotes. Parents, families and friends and others are important.

You might appreciate the story of how the tradition of playing the National Anthem before sporting events came to be. It was Sept. 1918, and the Boston Red Sox were in Chicago playing in an early World Series against the Cubs. The U.S. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 27th, 30th and 42nd (and other) Divisions had already seen some significant action but the big coordinated American push was yet to come. During four years of murderous stalemate the British and the French had spent a whole generation of brave young men during four years of murderous stalemate. They were stubbornly holding on. Much of the offensive energy was now going to have to come from our mostly inexperienced but fresh army. The public was aware that we had been shipping boys over there almost as fast as we could get them into a uniform and they could sense that something big was imminent. During the game, patriotic fervor was running at its peak when spontaneously, during the 7th inning stretch, the band struck up the Star Spangled Banner and everyone started to their feet! One can only imagine the shivers that must have run up and down their spines! The idea caught on, a tradition was born and the The Star Spangled Banner is now played before sporting events all across this country.

My grandfather was a Machine Gunner in the St. Mihiel offensive that quickly followed, was then pinned down and shelled in open position in the Limey Sector (nothing to do with the Brits) for a couple of weeks, and then again was in for a tough slugging it out at the north end of the Argonne Forest and beyond during October and November of 1918. Whenever I hear The National Anthem being played I always think of him and the brutal hell that he went through and I think of the band that started it all during a pivotal moment in history at that World Series game so many years ago. I also think of other times, places and people of years past and especially of the young men and women of today, many of whom have given parts (or all) of themselves that they can never get back.

el jinete fantasma
23rd March 2010, 17:10
"one nation under god "that is false since the 80 s, We as a country is no longer a god fearing nation are gov. passes laws over god laws giving rights to gays ,to married?
So much for "liberty and justice for all."
:rolleyes:

Cadillac
23rd March 2010, 17:22
"one nation under god "that is false since the 80 s, We as a country is no longer a god fearing nation are gov. passes laws over god laws giving rights to gays ,to married? everything about the law of the land is a decay of man ,No wonder the mouslems what to Kill us all......Earth quakes ,floods .and War from within ...is just the begining...

You, my friend, are an ignorant pathetic person. What have you done in your life to earn any rights that you have? You were given them and didnt have to work a day in your life for them would be my bet. People like you are the people that make me sad for the human race. People who take everything for granted and cant accept other people. You are no better then the damn Westboro church followers.

funnythebunny
31st May 2011, 00:14
:bump :bump

derailedbus
31st May 2011, 04:47
"imaginary borders" was a quote from the clip. No matter what our freedoms that were earned from fighting, every man, woman and child deserves the same, whether they're gay in the US, or of a different culture across the world, and have a different perception of "god". Much admiration for those truly defending and promoting liberty. But where one man's religion-based liberty is forced upon another's civil liberty, there's definitely an ironic injustice.

flskevin
31st May 2011, 23:20

"God Fearing" is just one of the few statements that has turned me off from religion. I never believed that you need to fear a God to be a good person. Or that fearing a God made you any better. It ranks up there with the Death Penalty as a deterrent to capitol crimes. Has anyone here actually stopped doing something because they suddenly remembered that God is watching and I will not get in to heaven.

If you have, guess what, you're still not getting in because embarking on the bad deed is just as hell bound as if you completed the deed.

I have no problem with what people want to believe. You think the rapture is coming, fine, sit in a corner & wait for it.

The problem is when you live in a nation like ours, where there are a multitude of different races, ethnic origins & religions that there should not be a national religion.

The freedom to live the way you want to practice your religion or to reject it is a fundamental right.

"... one nation under God."

What if I don't believe there is a God?

Do I have the right to reject that premise? Or do I have to sacrifice my personal beliefs and principles because others think their beliefs are more important?

Does your religious beliefs give you the right to impose those beliefs on those who don't subscribe to live their lives like you do?

Does the assumption of those that profess religious purity any more honest or good that those that are looked down on others?

What about those that take their religious beliefs to the extreme? Are they more pious?

If you profess your religious freedoms and happiness that dead soldiers are God's will allowing gay people to live here or walking up behind a doctor that preforms abortions and putting a bullet in his head.

Are these people on the fast track to heaven or just religious Assh:censors?

Is America going through it's own form of Inquisition?

professir
31st May 2011, 23:28
I DO believe in God, I believe in the original language of "fearing" God, (respect) and I believe that those that chose NOT to believe, can honor whatever it is that you believe is supreme. But for ME, God bless America!

Dont try to limit MY believes either.

xllent01
31st May 2011, 23:44
OH GHEEZZ>>once you except that you die you don't need religion anymore. it defeats the purpose

Don Burton
2nd June 2011, 18:27
As a point of history, the wording "under God" was added to the pledge much later in 1954. It was not a part of the original pledge. I think that several changes to the pledge were made over the years. Here's the original pledge as written by Bellamy.

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."