PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead Help with generator

bwolf
8th October 2009, 01:14
Hey guys I need help , being new to harley I am learning more every day ..
one thing I learned today is that my generator is a 6v but everything else is 12v :clap (congrats to the previous owner)

I have been charging my battery every 2-3 days regularly while getting parts and fixing stuff I knew my charging system was not working , so I changed my regulator to start, now I am looking for a generator .

I found a few cheap ones I was wondering if anyone knows the difference between part numbers
most HD catalogs shows part# 29975-65A(Cycle Electric) as being the stock generator for my 73' so I found part # 29975-65B (12-VOLT, CCW,
FOR PRESTOLITE APPLICATIONS, REPLACES 29975-65B) really cheap..
http://www.psep.biz/store/harley_davidson_generators.htm#AHGHD0003

any idea if it would work? unfortunately the vendor does not show any info about 1973 sportsters but I sent an email to try and get the specs

I am assuming it is the same as the 29975-65A

72 Ironhead XLH
8th October 2009, 02:06
should all be the same, the way I read it is the "B" stands for black.

bwolf
8th October 2009, 02:20
should all be the same, the way I read it is the "B" stands for black.

That's what I was thinking.. but what about A ? A stands for what ? Amber? LOL
I contacted some sellers on ebay they are selling the same generator for a bit over the $99.95 price and they all mentioned it will work.. I am going to go for it

69camfrk
8th October 2009, 02:27
Cycle Electric makes a good product. I run one of their 12 volt gens with the built in regulator on my Panhead. The gen on my '79 is stock and running a stock regulator. One cool thing about the Cycle Electric gen is you don't have to polarize it everytime you unhook the battery like a stock generator since it is polarized at the factory. When you change generators, if you go stock, DON'T FORGET TO POLARIZE!!!:smoke

jpironhead
8th October 2009, 07:12
The "65A" (OEM designation) is what you need for your bike. Any aftermarket that crosses to that number is your ticket to charging system happiness.

IronHead78
8th October 2009, 08:04
Cycle Electric is the ticket, I've had one for three years now and not a problem, you get what you pay for as the saying goes.

Jafa39
8th October 2009, 10:09
And don't forget that early ones polarize differently from later ones as far as how you do it goes.

IronMick
8th October 2009, 12:50
And don't forget that early ones polarize differently from later ones as far as how you do it goes.

The very early ones are put together with the A and F reversed. Actually, since they were first it is the newer ones that are the reversed ones. I believe that polarizing tho is the same; the various procedures are all in the Sticky.

bustert
8th October 2009, 14:59
can't tell you anything about the generator connection but i believe the ad is in error.

the mention of prestolite application is in referrance to the starter motor as hd used two types, both crappy. i would email or call the dudes for clarification. as far as i can remember, the generator has always had the same rotation. my "K" and my 74 "CH" rotation was the same.

bwolf
9th October 2009, 00:44
Cycle Electric makes a good product. I run one of their 12 volt gens with the built in regulator on my Panhead. The gen on my '79 is stock and running a stock regulator. One cool thing about the Cycle Electric gen is you don't have to polarize it everytime you unhook the battery like a stock generator since it is polarized at the factory. When you change generators, if you go stock, DON'T FORGET TO POLARIZE!!!:smoke

I have mastered the procedure LOL, now I hope I didn't fry the new regulator running attached to the old 6v generator .
I ordered the new one so we'll see in a few days if It works as described
the specs are identical to the CE 10 amps load and produce 20-30 amps
the tech guy of the company that sold me the part said 65B was just a revision of the original 65A and it is essentially the same generator.. BTW he also mention it is compatible with the Cycle Electric in case I need brushes , armature etc..

dabronco
9th October 2009, 01:00
I got one of those cheap ones and it lasted 200 miles until the outer bearing destroyed itself. Made in Pakistan. Get the Cycle Electric one. The difference between a cheap part and an expensive one is that the expensive one is usually cheaper.

bwolf
9th October 2009, 01:07
I got one of those cheap ones and it lasted 200 miles until the outer bearing destroyed itself. Made in Pakistan. Get the Cycle Electric one. The difference between a cheap part and an expensive one is that the expensive one is usually cheaper.

LOL too late ... hopefully you got a defective one and they are not all that bad .

Bearings and all the other parts are replaceable and I was told compatible with CE but you're right you get what you pay for

dabronco
9th October 2009, 01:16
The bearing spun in the end cap.
End cap bad
Armature bad
Bearing bad.
Brush holder bad.
Came very close to snapping gear-end off leaving it free to explore the cam chest. That would have been VERY bad.
Just keep your ears open and if it starts chattering, STOP!

bwolf
9th October 2009, 01:24
The bearing spun in the end cap.
End cap bad
Armature bad
Bearing bad.
Brush holder bad.
Came very close to snapping gear-end off leaving it free to explore the cam chest. That would have been VERY bad.
Just keep your ears open and if it starts chattering, STOP!

Thanks I will... that sounds scary

Icefire
9th October 2009, 23:25
There were two differnet kinds of generators made fro the older sporties, Prestolites and Hitachis. To complicate things, they made the switch right in the middle of a model year..And I'm not sure what year that was....The cases are not quite the same diameter, but close. They are NOT interchangable without mods, I'm not sure, but maybe that's why one has an "A" and another a "B' in the part number. Just do your homework and buy the right one and you should be ok. I learned the hard way that electronical parts can NOT be returned...

lucky23
10th October 2009, 00:38
how the hell do you polarize a generator? wtf? I don't even know what that means...

russzx6
10th October 2009, 00:46
Info on polarizing the gen is in the technical stickies

The B on the gen stands for "Battery" . ..some you will see stamped B+ for Battery posative terminal. I can't for the life of me remember what the A terminal is again??. . .i gather it will spring into my mind mid beer one night

IronMick
10th October 2009, 00:54
There were two differnet kinds of generators made fro the older sporties, Prestolites and Hitachis ...

I heard this about starter motors, but this is the first i have heard this about generators???

IronMick
10th October 2009, 00:56
... The B on the gen stands for "Battery" . ..some you will see stamped B+ for Battery posative terminal. I can't for the life of me remember what the A terminal is again??...

I have not seen any markings on a gen other than A anf F for the two terminals. Certainly not a B or a B+ ???

Mechdude
10th October 2009, 01:56
A= Armature F=field B is the on the Regulator, B+ will be found on the Bosch Regulator, can any one tell me what the Amp output of the 12V gen is?

russzx6
10th October 2009, 01:57
There is definitely a B on my 77's one Mick, just went and looked. F is for Field by memory (which is the same as the B terminal)

IronMick
10th October 2009, 02:53
... can any one tell me what the Amp output of the 12V gen is?

From the factory manual ... it is 10 amps, unless it is the 82 to E84 model which is 13 amps.

metal88
10th October 2009, 06:30
I encourage all to go with a cycle electric generator. I got somewhat lucky that the Ironhead I bought had a cycle electric on it. But it was shot, and according to cycle electic the generator was 10yrs old if memory serves right and it was abused badly. If you buy new from them they have a great warranty. And if you happen to have an older one that needs work send it or take it to them. I live several hours from them, there right outside of Dayton, Ohio and took my gen to them and besides parts cost, labor was $17.50. They rebuilt the whole thing for me in about an hour and a half. You can't beat that kind of service. Heres there site http://www.cycleelectricinc.com/

zackpaints
10th October 2009, 09:04
If your into a mechanical look how about this idea?

hey wilson chime in and post up a pic of the 78' , I dont have one of it completed.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk163/zackpaints/ironheadalternator.jpg

GA_Ironhead
10th October 2009, 13:25
From the factory manual ...

The FM is a wonderful thing to own. Everyone with an IH should have the Good Book nearby and read from it daily. It can make a difference in your life!