PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead polarizing 81 genny

auslad
11th October 2009, 11:40
Hi all, have recently put my 81 Ironhead back together and the light is staying on,can someone put me through the process of polarizing again.......thanx fellas:wonderlan

superwarden
11th October 2009, 11:42
If you look at the top of the Ironhead section, Mick has set up a technical sticky with all sorts of maintenacne things. There is one there for polarizing the genny. That is the one I use. You can also try a search quick as well.

I would tell you outright, but it is 530 in the morning and my brain has not woke up yet...darn kids....:)

auslad
11th October 2009, 11:59
OK............thanx for that....had a quick look.....so looking at the genny...left or right terminal??? and touch with wire jumper to where???? with ignition off???.................help please as brain a tad mangled..............cheers

IronMick
11th October 2009, 12:45
Here you are, from the Stickys. There is everything you could ever want to know about polarizing is here ...
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=39146

Ignition off. The two gen terminals are marked on the gen as A and F. Usually the one closer to the front is A, but on older gens they may be reversed. The letters are marked on the gen case; you may have to look closely or scrape some old paint.

auslad
11th October 2009, 13:16
Thanx for that...........so if the solid state regulator as crapped itself after doing this test.....i shouldnt expect the light to go off:frownone then.............

bustert
11th October 2009, 13:54
do not over look the simple stuff. could be a simple corrosion problem on the terminals.
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac261/bustert/corrodedterminal.jpg

auslad
11th October 2009, 14:11
:wonderlanYep good one Bustert.....will take the genny off and check it out.....in the week.......if the jumper wire from the A on genny and wire to + battery with ignition off doesnt work............thanx for your input guys......

bustert
15th October 2009, 15:05
attempted repair. it pays to do the job right so it won't have to be done again. if the wire failed once, it will happen again sometimes making you chase phatom problems. (generator)
a electric stove wire will make a good replacement for this environment.
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac261/bustert/badwire.jpg

Andy Hog
15th October 2009, 18:41
Hi,

make sure the regulator is well earthed. It earths through it's body, so either have an earth wire fitted to a good earth some where on the bike, I ran mine to the neg. terminal on the battery, or remove the paint on the frame to bare metal.

Andy.

IronMick
15th October 2009, 18:45
make sure the regulator is well earthed ...

+1 on this. The reg dumps all unused amps from the gen to ground. If it is not well grounded it will cook itself to death.

72 Ironhead XLH
15th October 2009, 19:57
On the older models with mech relays the regulator base must also be grounded to the frame.

auslad
16th October 2009, 00:47
Thanx fellas....will clean base of reg and ground......cheers